"Overnight Sensation" question

bosbuff

I recently acquired the Raspberries "Collector's Series" CD on Capital. I'm sure most of you-all have it. It is just wonderful, and I think the song selections and sequencing is very well done. The question I have is: Is it my imagination, or didn't the LP version of "Overnight Sensation/Hit Record" have a very short and quiet bit of "Go All the Way" at the very end of the song? I have to admit I keep listening for it and sort of miss it - I thought it was a clever bit. Or is it that maybe the LP and single versions differed in this respect. Anyone who has info on this "crucial" question, please chime in (A Rickenbacher 360 12-string will aid and abett your "chiming," no doubt.) Thanks. Bosbuff

I am not sure. I may be all wrong but it seems to me that many of the recordings of that time were stored incorrectly. The way to store multi-track analog recording, was tails out. Meaning that the tape should be run off the reel backwards to a second reel and stored that way (backwards). The result, sometimes if not stored that way was to have a sort of ghost image transferred to tape at a much lower volume. This ghost image was sometimes heard at the beginning of a song or at the end, at a very faint volume. This is probably not what you are talking about, however, I am not crazy, this phenomenon did exist. Digital recording has virtually eliminated this problem.

Cheers!!!

Hi Bosbuff:

Here's the deal on the Overnight Sensation lp cut. The vinyl lp had a COOL 5 second intro to "Go all the Way" added to the end of "Overnight Sensation". This was a "audio trick" producer Jimmy Ienner added. It was a fun way to call attention to Raspberries 1st big Hit (GATW) at the end of the just released, Hit single: "Overnight Sensation". They were hoping for Good Karma by adding the Hit song intro; I believe! ! ! Re-released versions of "Overnight Sensation" vary. The Japanese CD pressing of "Starting Over" had the GATW intro. The RPM 2 on 1 (Side 3/Starting Over)CD reissues did NOT. I'll check my Capitol Collectors Series CD and the Zap (British import) CD's tonight.

Don

I went thru all my Raspberries CD's + the original vinyl lp with Overnight Sensation on them. Here are the results with track time for OS and if it has the GATW intro:

Starting Over lp - (1974 Capitol ST-11329) original vinyl: 5:34 has GATW

Greatest Hits CD (2000 Capitol 72435-24396-2-1) (RARE unreleased +4 bonus cuts) 5:36 has GATW

Starting Over CD - (1991 Capitol TOCP-6361) Japan only 5:36 has GATW

The following releases do NOT have the GATW intro:

Very Best of The Raspberries CD (ZAP CD1) French import 5:30

Raspberries Power Pop Vol 2 (1996 RPM 163) Side 3/Starting Over British import 5:29

Raspberries Best - featuring Eric Carmen CD (1989 Capitol CP28-1020) Japan only 5:27

Raspberries - Collectors Series CD (1991 Capitol CDP 7 92126 2) 5:24

The Raspberries - Greatest Hits CD (Capitol CDP 7243 8 33669 2 7) (1995 white cover with single Raspberry) 5:23

As you can see there is a wide variety of editing on the song: "Overnight Sensation"! ! !

Don

Might have had something to do with how fast the engineer pulled the trigger after "O.S." fades out. Or was it a person at all. Maybe there was too much elapsed time between the fade out and the "GATW" intro and the silence triggered an auto cut-off at the end of the recording. Kirk.

Thank you guys for responding to my question about the snippet of "Go All the Way" at the end of "Overnight Sensation." But I wish they had left it on the so-called "Collector's" series CD, since it WAS on the original LP. But At least now I am relieved to know that I am not "hearing things", and I can go back to my "normal" run-o'-the-mill insanity. Bosbuff