How Come Eric Snubs the Message Board?

bahoodore

Admit it, if there was a website dedicated to you, and people came daily to talk about you, you'd check in from time to time to see what they were saying about you - and probably have a laugh when they are so off track with some of their remarks. I don't think I'd be able to restrain myself when someone said sometime incorrect - so IF Eric IS reading these messages, we have to give him a lot of credit for his self-control.

Michelle

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic more than likely HAS been covered here before, but since I'm new here I'll ask it anyway. Is there any way to get an autograph from Eric? such as a personalized one? Here's how lame I am, last summer My wife and I went with friends to Cleveland to see the Hall of Fame. I carried around one of Eric's CDs in case I bumped into him!I even took it to the zoo figuring since he's a family man he might even show up there (LOL)

Eric was very generous with his time, on the AOL board, to no avail. I couldn't believe how rude "they" were to Eric. He tried very hard to anwer the questions and keep the peace but, it was never good enough. Maybe Eric dosn't want to see the same thing happen to this site. Reading some of these posts here I can see where things can get heated again. Eric does read this board. This site is about him, and his music. It's a great site, and we all enjoy it here, what's wrong with that? June

How could anybody get too hard with Eric? His music calms and mellows people out. It is feel good music. What did they get on him about? Eric could address his inactivity over the past few years with a well-thought out 2-3 paragraphs. If we didn't like it, Eric could just say, "That's the way I feel and I did what I thought was right for me and my family at the time."

There are enough of us loyal fans and Bernie to protect Eric if anybody comes on and is unfair to him.

But if he can't handle legitimate debate and criticism like he gets from Marvin, Andy Bahoo and me, well...He's just a wimpy little mama's boy who picks his nose and eats it...Sorry, I just had an AOL flashback moment, even though I was never there. crazy

Occasionally, some of us do get our dander up, but all in all, we like each other and get along.

Sometimes the kidding and ribbing get out of hand, though, and it can turn pretty negative quickly.

That being said, we have to keep in mind how ugly it did get when someone actually got Eric thrown off AOL. Not nice at all.

The complete reason(s) Eric doesn't post (or perhaps DOES, under an assumed screen name)is probably known only to himself. I think he's been pretty amazing in supporting the website, sharing news with us and doing Ask Eric. The problem is, "give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile..." Perhaps he feels that if he begins to post here and there, people will expect more. Also, if I were Eric (and I'm NOT!!!!--THAT thread was ridiculous!) I would not like the idea of people responding as nastily to me as we do to each other at times. I think being a bit removed from all that is a good thing for him...He prefers classier ways to communicate with us than the "back and forth shouting matches" we sometimes have here, and I think it becomes him.

An occasional post in the future someday might be a possibility, but if I were he I would want to be pretty sure my post wouldn't be open to brickbats.

smile --Darlene

I forgot to mention, the whole autograph question was brought on, by looking on E Bay. I know I could probably buy one of those offered there, but I would rather have it knowing it was really from Eric. I've collected a few the past few years from going to concerts and waiting back stage for the artists. I've met (name dropping here) John Waite, Doug Feiger, Paul Carrack, Colin Hay, Journey, Cheap Trick and Lou Gramm. but the holy grails for me would be Elton and Eric. Since Eric doesn't tour (hence me carrying the CD around in Cleveland) I'm figuring this is my best shot!!!

Jeff

Hey Poor4-- I can definitely help you get a personal autograph from Eric. E-mail me and I'll give you the details. Eric has been very generous with autograph requests from his fans.

Bernie

PS: If anyone is interested in buying Eric autographs on eBay, shoot me an e-mail and I'll help authenticate the items for you. WARNING: More than half of the autographs I see listed are forgeries!

Bernie, I seriously hope you use ebay's form to "report an item" when you see those forgeries. It doesn't take long, and I know for a fact ebay takes those reports seriously and investigates them. If the seller is found to be selling something they shouldn't be, they are tossed out and they are not allowed to join with a new name for at least a month, depending on the severity of the problem, sometimes they are banned for good. If you don't have the time to report em, send me the item numbers and I will.

That's why I'm wary of buying stuff like that on there. Just this week someonw had an autographed pic out of Blender magazine that came out 2 weeks ago of Sheryl Crow. He said on the auction page that he only gets autographs by himself or other US sources.That's quite a trick considering she's been living in Spain for the past 2 months! When I confronted him on this he never responded to my E mail. I'll buy memorabilia of E Bay but as tempting as it is, I stay clear of autographed items!

Jeff

Maybe Eric has lost his password, and can't get it back---like me. Bernie doesn't love me anymore, and the website won't respond. I feel so lost----Please someone rescue me---Doesn't anyone remember me---I'm a doublr digit member from the old days---HALP!!

JCraft5711@aol.com

Weird, Bernie, I had a casual acquaintance in town (I knew her from doing craft shows), and I was telling her that I put stuff on ebay... she said she always figured it was difficult, not worth the effort, etc to do ebay, and I told her I've made some pretty decent money there. A couple months later I saw her, and I thought she was gonna hang me! Turns out the ONE thing she put on ebay was an autograph she had for years (dunno who), and it turned out to be a forgery (she honestly didn't know), and the buyer reported her to ebay for "fraud". Ebay kicked her off.

Jim Craft! There you are! (I would say, "see the thread where I asked 'where are they now?' because I mentioned you and another person I always enjoyed on the site, but it sounds like you can't get on this website for the moment).

Maybe you can re-register. E-mail Bernie at Raspbernie@EricCarmen.com and I'm sure he can advise you about getting reinstated. I had a weird thing happen where I was totally deleted from the directory, but I "updated" my profile and it came back on. Go figure...

But I hope you can get on under your old screen name (JCraft). I'm sure Bernie can help. If he can't fix the problem, reregister under a new screen name.

Welcome back!

smile --Darlene

...Because, "The fantasy more glamorous than he could ever be, is the course of least resistance in the end..."

Maybe Eric does't want to spoil our fantasy theories and stories with just the boring real truth answers like, "I was afraid to try", or "I guess I was too self-involved and didn't see that opportunity at the time", or "I had hemorrhoids that week so I missed it..." frown

I totally disagree with these remarks that Eric possibly avoids this board because of "some of the posts here." What does that mean? Is it because some of us have the gall to say that we don't like all of his music? If I am a fan of Eric the songwriter, I have the right to acknowledge the good and criticize what I believe is bad about his music. Eric's music (especially his solo work) has been criticized since Day 1 so I'd guess that after all these years he's used to it.

Marvin

I think Tony might be right. We all have an image in our minds of what a star is like - so much different and better than us. So, what if Eric really did reply, and says things like:

- "Ya know, I just don't think I've got another hit record in me"

- "Well, the real reason I was into rock and roll was for the chicks, and now that I'm married, I can't have all the fun I used to have, so why bother?"

- "I'm too old and would probably have a heart attack with the circulation cut off to my legs in those tight pants." (or conversly - "I can't even get those tight pants on anymore.") [DO you think his kids use the old costumes for 'dress up time'?] smilie

- "Hell, I made all the money I ever wanted. Why waste my time anymore? I have more fun at Gymboree with the kids than writing music."

The only way we'll really ever know the truth is to listen in on their baby monitor (those things have great ranges, so if you live nearby, chances are you'll hear all the goings on at the Carmen household. How else do you think we get our kicks and find out all our neighbor's business out here in the 'burbs?!) I think we're the only people who've had a baby that never bought one of those things!

Michelle

:p