Carmine Appice

Met today Drummer Carmine Appice at the Chiller Theatre convention by the Meadowlands in NJ. Asked him about his experience playing with Eric and he replied that Eric is a very talented and nice guy . He also added that on one of those dates in Japan Eric was so drunk that he fell off the stage but other than that he spoke very positively about Eric.

..who among us hasn't toppled from one thing or another after throwing one too many back? (I took a whole, 15-foot Christmas tree down one year trying to get that damn star to point straight up...either the ladder was wobbly or, after a touch too much 'nog, I was...)

"I still think "Vanilla Fudge"'s "You Keep Me Hangin' On" is too slow-but now I'll have to reconsider."

Nah - it's still too slow....as are their covers of "Ticket To Ride", "She's Not There", "Shotgun", "Season Of The Witch", etc., etc., etc. But at least they still have a sense of humor - On their latest comeback CD from a couple of years ago, they also mutilate "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy", and songs by the Backstreet Boys and N'Sync (sp?).....

One of the all-time biggest mysteries to me is what exactly Jeff Beck saw in Bogert & Appice, to make him form Beck, Bogert & Appice. To me, they were always the most plodding rhythm section imaginable (although not in Cactus!)....

No whiskey before the show, but I'm not sure I would have passed a sobriety test AFTER the show. When I crawled out of the pit, they gave me a high stool and a bottle of Suntory whiskey for the pain radiating up both legs.(I landed on the back of both heels and fractured the right one.) ec

Having consumed more than my fair share of rum tonight I can only say that I feel fortunate to still be in one piece.

By the way I consider Vanilla Fudge's 'You Keep Me Hangin' On' to be the ultimate and definitive version of that song.

So Eric...the orchestra pit? It's the 'pits' then? wink

If i'm not mistaken, didn't Duane Hitchings co-write DYTIS with Appice, and was also part of the super band that stormed Japan?

Ironically wasn't that around the same time, circa Tonight Your Mine, that Arista was trying to re-mold Eric into the next Rod Stewart? So why didn't Appice-Hitchings give the song to Eric? Who was calling the shots? Not the best song around but it sure paid some bills back then.

On an somewhat unrelated note, around the same time, who pulled the plug on "It Hurts Too Much", promotionally, one of the best songs of the year, IMHO.

I think there was a big lawsuit filed by a songwriter from South America who claimed that the whole chorus was lifted from his song. I don't recall hearing about the outcome. Duane is a wonderful keyboardist and a very, very nice guy. He's from upstate New York originally. Syracuse, I think. He was part of the first band I took to Japan in 1977. He was Rod's keyboard guy for years and co-wrote some of Rod's other hits as well. He was always a gentleman. I always thought it was a bit of a "coincidence" that right after Carmine, Duane and Billy from Rod's band did the "Tonight You're Mine" album with me, Rod came out with "Tonight I'm Yours." Hmmmmmmm........ec