Tonight Your Mine

JCraft

I might have missed it somewhere on the site, but I just got around to playing my new Tonight Your Mine CD. Since the CD was one of my favorite EC releases (I think its the closest thing to a Raspberrie CD since Starting Over), I was ready to fry some fish and rock a little. The shock came when Hungry Eyes came on, then Loose Control, and---well most of you know that there are several bonus tracks on this one. It was a preety cool surprise for me though. If you haven't got it yet, its worth the trip.

JIM

The Tonight Your Mine Album is a musical rollercoaster for me. From the rocking "It Hurts Too Much" to the haunting "Foolin' Myself"..it just amazes me the range of musical expression EC creates on just one album.

But the track I love to blast in the convertible (while drowning out the bass poundings of some kid in the car next to me)......is the track "Tonight You're Mine". I just LOVE the friggin' bagpipes....Geez bagpipes....only EC could arrange to make bagpipes rock.!!!!!

I've always been partial to "You Need Some Lovin'", the final cut on Tonight You're Mine.

"You got your cocaine, and your Gucci shoes

You got your Palm Springs Tan all over the news

You don't like champaigne, but you take another sip

Inside you're private club for the tragiclly hip..."

Has there ever been an opening lyric as powerful as that? And this is one serious rockin' tune... it needed a longer guitar solo, but that's never been a big thing with EC or 'berries... maybe the only thing I'd ever change about the guys is to give them opportunity to show off their muscian-ship... laugh

HMMMMMM=how does that other rocker go??

Took so long to get up my courage

Never thought I'd hav a chance

Took her out and told her I loved her

Then she put my hand in her pants--

Not exactly Partridge family stuff htere either. As for the bonus trax---I was pretty shocked, too. Marv if you don't like HG being there, you probably aren't real happy about Reason to Try being there either.

JIM

I always giggled over those exact lyrics from Tonight You're Mine....and could never reconcile how those lyrics came a few years later from the man who penned the incredibly mature Boats Against The Current. Alas they all can't be introspective gems.....sometimes they gotta be plain old fun.

"Reason to Try"???!!!! Sorry, but that song should not be on ANY album. At least "Hungry Eyes" has a passable melody, saved by Eric' great vocal, but "Reason To Try"???!!! "Tonight You're Mine" is such a superb album, those two songs just bring it down.

Marv

I always giggled over those exact lyrics from Tonight You're Mine....and could never reconcile how those lyrics came a few years later from the man who penned the incredibly mature Boats Against The Current. Alas they all can't be introspective gems.....sometimes they gotta be plain old fun.

Check some of the Raspberries songs (e.g: "Go All the Way", "Tonight", "On the Beach"), they're pretty much in the same lyrical vein as "Tonight You're Mine."

Marv

been too log since i heard the whole album(another lost gem in the midst of bands,kids,and moving!)..the song that i still remember most is "inside story"...i had a kenwood cassette w/eq and plenty of amps in my 76 olds delta 88...and i use to love turning it up loud and proud...aahhh,those were the days!! lol,chris

What we're finding is that after the "Boats" debacle and battling with Clive, Eric gave in and presented Mr. Davis with "Change of Heart"... pretty much exactly what Clive wanted, when Clive wanted... and it too sank to a quick death at the bottom of the LP charts. So with Tonight You're Mine I suspect Eric was kind of like:

"You know what, the hell with everybody. This is the last album I'm under contract for, let me show the world the kind of rock I can still do."

wink (Not meaning to put words in Eric' mouth)

And Clive, being Clive said something like:

"I don't care that it's great, it's not what I told him I wanted so I'm not promoting it. Hmmmph." (foot stomp) "There. I showed him." (Holds breath...)

eek

laugh

When I first heard "You Need Some Loving", it right away reminded me of something else: a song that came out about three years earlier, Rod Stewart's "You're Insane" (from "Footloose and Fancy Free"). There's a real similarity in the lyrics and groove, and Eric's song even has a couple of Stewart's bandmembers on it, Duane Hitchings and Billy Peek.

Marv

I remember that album very well. Fooling myself was one of his greatest ballads. When the album came out, my wife and I were dating and I remember on Saturday nights our friends would ask me to play that song. Now that I think about it, I also remember that the lights would go out, the couples would seperate and so on and so on. Come to think of it, all of our couples ended up with kids! You get the point