That Husky-Raspy-Desperate- Voice-Thing

Julie

This subject was brought up in the discussion of "I Reach For The Light", and I just love it when Eric does this. I've been listening to "If You Change Your Mind" and thinking what a great song it is. It's got that ballad-thing going on for most of us that love that sort of thing and then it slowly builds into this desperate, pleading, agonizing crecendo (that I'm guessing Marvin just loves laugh ) that is just wonderful and powerful and edgy and ...well, you get the picture!

Anyway, there are many songs in Eric's catalog that share this quality and I can't think of another artist that pulls it off nearly as well as he does.

Oh my, I'm listening to it as I write and I think I need to step out and get some air... spin

Julie, I love that quality in Eric's voice too, and I love his voice when it isn't there as well.

He has such an instinct for what kind of tone color to use, and can vary the colors in his voice so well, that his voice has a kind of magic that I've never heard in anyone else. I read once that he said he didn't particularly like his voice. Well, he has perfect musical ears, so he must not be hearing exactly what it sounds like to other people. Human beings don't really hear what we sound like, because we're not on the receiving end of things. A violinist can't really tell what his or her instrument sounds like to an audience, or how the sound carries, because it sounds different "under the ear."

Eric, your voice is gorgeous! And "If You Change Your Mind" just breaks my heart at the end. I love it. --Darlene

When I went to Cleveland to see Eric perform at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, "If You Change Your Mind" was playing on the outdoor sound system. As I bounded up the steps in front of the Museum I could hear Eric shouting, "Baby don't leave me. I need you so bad now!" I still get shivers up and down my spine every time I hear it. --Bernie

When I first discovered Raspberries and Eric's voice, and read that he was "screaming in a corner" somewhere to get a raspy sound, I was horrified because I was afraid he would lose the gorgeous timbre his voice has. But thank God, that never happened. Whether he puts the "rasp" in it or not -- the voice is perfect -- still gorgeous. --Darlene