If not "Raspberries," then what?

darlene

Remember when Raspberries had to quick come up with a name for their band? Well, suppose we could take you back to that session and give everyone who has heard them input? I always thought "Raspberries" was the coolest name. But now that we know what they sound like, what would YOU have named the band? I can't think of anything that grabs. Those of us who are lucky enough to have heard them live, know they were absolutely ELECTRIC. The only name I could think of was "Electric Blue," but that doesn't even begin to describe it. They were also sheer magic, but that doesn't cut it, either. Maybe "Raspberries" is the best name after all, but what would you have offered anyway? Especially Clevelanders, and others, who heard them live?

smile --Darlene

My name suggetions would be;

NorthCoast (from what I understand, a nickname for Cleveland and it captures the 'beachy' sound that the 'Berries had)

Rockmaninoff (guitar meets piano)

The Stinky McNulty Band (a name I came up with for my nephew's garage band. the band never made it but the name lives on!)

or possibly The Ohio Lobster Fishermen (because I love lobsters!)

Dave (aka lobsterlvr)

When I was a child I wanted to be called "Rainbow" (everyone was named Michelle after the Beatles song, I wanted to be different). Calling the band Rainbow would have captured that late 60's - early 70's hippy kind of sound. Or, how about "Rainbow Sunset". Sounds romantic doesn't it? Maybe that's more an Eric type band name based on the type of music he writes. OK, maybe it was good I wasn't there to help! laugh

Say what you want about the name "The Raspberries" but to me, it says "star band." Not long after that, bands starting adopting riducluous names - so much so that to this day I just can't take anyone seriously or even bother to listen to them if they have an idiotic name. I spent many years in the Boston music scene and there were some classics, like "The Butt Hole Surfers." Yeah, I'm gonna rush right out and buy that record. After doing 20 years of session work, I've heard just about everything you can think of. I've learned 2 things about bands - 1: the more they dance, the less they can sing, and 2: the dumb name comes from somewhere, and its usually from their dumb songwriter and the songs are indeed, dumb.

Yup, I can't repect bands with weird names like "Swollen Member" and "Wide Mouth Mason". I had noticed a vast majority of the new groups have terrible names like this. Then again, I thought it was me just getting old (in the same way all the adults in the 50's thought Elvis was a tool of the Devil). Maybe all the good names - the Beatles, the monkees, Guess Who, Clash, etc., have been taken and this is all that's left.

I dislike the names of rap bands and headbanger

bands of today, the 60.0, 70's and 80.

Were to me, the music to listen to.

I listen to the 70.80's on a radio station in Kitchener now.

I get so fed up and ticked off with the teenage crap that plays on air now.

It's destroying us.

Is their a nearby sewer to crawl into?

Why is it that not only do rap groups have such silly names, but they have no notion of how to spell? Reading their group names at times is like reading those vanity licence plates - with messages like 2cute4U (too cute for you). I want to be able to enjoy my music, not do a deciphering puzzle every time I go to the record store.

Also, why is everyone who's a rapper either L'il or Big? You've got L'il Kim, L'il Bow Wow, Big Bow Wow, Big Stinky Cheese Man, etc. Is no one just "average". I guess no one wants to buy an album from "Average Joe" sings "You Mother-F----- you F----- my sister". Ahhh. You just don't hear quality music like that everyday (unless you're a devoted fan of Eminem). crazy

I was always embarassed by the "Raspberries" name. In fact whenever I played their music for friends, I'd never say the name of the band. Let's face it, first impressions are important, and my experience with my friends was that no one was taking the band seriously because of their name. I always liked "Four Way Street" (CSN&Y connection) as a name for a band.

Marvin

I subscribe to ICE magazine, and I kid you not, there's a band actually listed called "F**K" that have a CD coming out. I guess it had to happen sooner or later. And what's with all the one word named singers lately? Beyonce, Cherie, Usher. The one I actually laughed about was "Joe", what's next Bill? Fred? I mean how stupid and unimaginitive!

Michelle, is "Big Stinky Cheese Man" for real or did you make that one up? LOL

Jeff

Michelle, is "Big Stinky Cheese Man" for real or did you make that one up?

The fact that you had to ask means that we've sunk to a new low in naming bands these days. No, I made up Big Stinky Cheese Man. There's a kids book which is a play on "Run Run Run just as fast as you can, you can't catch me I'm the Gingerbread man." It's called Twisted Fairy Tales, and instead of the Gingerbread man of old, it's the stinky cheese man. Usually things I write have some basis in real life, I just warp them to fit my own demented needs.