Hollywood Walk Of Fame

Raspbernie

On a recent trip to Los Angeles, I couldn't help notice how many musicians have stars on the Walk Of Fame including the Beatles, Beach Boys, Tom Petty, Diane Warren, etc.

Is there any interest in my nominating Eric for a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame? I'm sure he'd be selected as his accomplishments fit the profile established by the nominating committee. There is one BIG catch, however. We'd be responsible for coming up with the costs of the star's installation -- $15,000! That's a lot of money.

I'd certainly be willing to kick in some cash. I'd even throw in any profits from the upcoming book, but that would still leave us well short of the amount needed. I'd also need to confirm Eric's interest in that sort of thing as one of the conditions is that the celebrity be present for his star's unveiling.

Anyway, there are still two months until this year's nominations need to be submitted but I needed to know if there was any support before I started passing the hat around. $15,000 is serious money, but those stars are forever and it might be a pretty cool investment.

What do you think?

Bernie

I think it would be great for this to actually happen.But,as you say Bernie this is serious cash.

There is no way I see we can do it our selves.That a boy,isn't Erics/Rasperies music great doesn't put much money on the table.We would need Erics help. How about a little 4 to 5 song cd of unreleased material that we could donate say 50.00 per copy.A limited edition for those that support him on this site.Maybe an 8 x 10 glossy of Eric with the star signed individually.Like I said we would need help.I don't know if Eric or any artist would consider this type of fund raising but its an idea.

I'm sure that lots of celebs "buy" their own stars but my understanding is that the grassroots approach is more appropriate. The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce gives the petitioner up to five years to raise the funds once a nominee is accepted. But like you said, it's a great deal of money, and $10 per person is probably not going to cut it.

Bernie

That star on the "Walk of Fame" stuff just doesn't sit well with me at all. I don't know all the 'stars' who have a star, but other than some of the old-time movie actors/actresses who I think were well-deserved, I just don't understand why many of the others are even there. I mean I LOVE Tom Petty, but a star on the "Walk of Fame"?! Why because his fans got together and raised $15,000! Give me a break. There's no credibility or integrity here as far as I'm concerned. And Diane Warren is even more laughable. Just my opinion.

Marvin

While I would love to see Eric rewarded for his contributions, I tend to agree with marvin on this topic, I think these stars are nothing but a way for people to pad their wallets. 15 grand is a hell of a lot of money for a few yards of concrete, no matter how you look at it. It's not really a tribute to the stars achievements, it's just a bought and paid for advertisement wrapped up in a shiny package.

That's not to say if the majority here want to do it, I wouldn't go along, but I gotta warn you, I'm on a pretty limited budget and I couldn't contribute an awful lot.

I would, however, be willing to do a website "fundraiser", and make candy with a pic of raspberries (the fruit, not the band), or even with Eric on it if he gave me permission to use his image, and sell the candy to website members to raise funds. I'd be willing to donate the cost of the ingredients and my time to make it. It'd have to be a fall project tho, I can't mail candy in warm weather.

I also have a "button maker", and I could make Eric Carmen buttons for you to sell on the website, again, if Eric gives us permission to use his image.

Another possibility for a fundraiser is Eric Carmen website bears. I know a guy who sells stuffed teddy bears with sweaters that have logos on them, and you can have "ericcarmen.com" put on the sweaters. I dunno what the guy charges or anything, but I could look into it if you wanted me to.

I would LOVE to see Eric have a star on the Walk of Fame. He deserves it, and other things he and the Raspberries have truly deserved have eluded them (like R&R HOF), and I would definitely be counted in to try to raise funds for this. So should some of the people who've taken his songs and gotten hits from them. And THEY have enough money to help get this off the ground. I say, "Go for it!"

smile --Darlene

Foolin' Myself--You missed the chance to see Eric in Vegas a couple of years ago. But then again, so did the rest of us. You needed one of those red real estate coats to get in the door and it probably would have helped to say something like "Eric Who?" as you walked in. Then there was the time he flew right overhead on his way to Hawaii. Your best shot at seeing Eric will be when they unveil his star in Hollywood. Tony and I could use another hand with the net...Kirk.

Bernie,

Well, what's the verdict ? I know you mentioned that there are only a couple of months before the nominations need to be submitted...and

it seems that at least some of us have shown support of the idea. Can we organize something ? Anyone have any brilliant ideas ? I'm EXCITED !

Marlene laugh