WHEN/WHERE IS THE NEXT SHOW?

TOMMY TUNES

I have to admit, I think the timing of this reunion really sucks. The weather on the east coast in November is unpredictable, plus it's on Black Friday, for Heaven's sake... for those of us who work in stores, it's THE busiest day of the year and we haven't a snowball's chance in hell of getting the day off. I think a bit more notice and a little better planning would have made it easier for those of us unable to attend under the present circumstances.

Its part of the grand opening of the Cleveland HOB. Raspberries are a Cleveland legend. A lot of us around here were lucky enough to see the band many times in local bars/clubs 30 plus years ago. Its only natural that they reunite on a Cleveland stage.

Plus, they do not shut Cleveland down for the winter. We have a NBA team that plays all winter and has no problem drawing 10 thousand plus each night. This is Cleveland not McMurdo Sound naval base in Antartica!

Outside a fluke early blizzard, all will be well.

Just about the busiest shopping day of the year. It's the first official shopping day of the Christmas season. People start lining up to get into the stores that have the best bargains at 4am in the morning, traffic is miserable, people act like morons. It's quite the American custom.

I participated in it ONCE. NEVER AGAIN!

Black is too dark a name for the Friday after Thanksgiving. What about a lighter color, say "Raspberry Friday"? As for the choosing of the dates, let's get real: after 30 years without these guys, I'd even skip my wife's birthday to make the show. (PS: My wife does not read these posts!).

I think the black portion has to do with ink. It is such a big shopping day retailers can see their books going into the black or the red for the year, depending on the showing. They want to see your books go into the red buying the spouse lots of goodies with your green. Mine left, so this year my green goes for the color of raspberries at the House of Blues.

That is Black Sunday, and the movie is actually about a football game, not a concert....but Steely Dan did do a song called "Black Friday"

I was in retail a number of years, and two days were the worst, as far as chaos goes---the day after Thanksgiving, of course...and the day after Christmas when everyone does the returns....

This article tells the origin of Black Friday.

Black Friday, name applied to a short-lived financial crisis in the United States that occurred on Friday, September 24, 1869. The panic was precipitated when two financial speculators, James Fisk and Jay Gould, attempted to corner the U.S. gold market. On September 20 they began purchasing gold in New York City; by September 24 they controlled enough of the available supply in the city to bid up the price from about 140 to 163y. This rapid increase in the price of gold threw the stock exchange into confusion, and the prices of commodities fluctuated wildly. The inflationary run on gold was halted toward the close of the business day when U.S. Secretary of the Treasury George Sewall Boutwell announced that the federal government had made $4 million of its gold reserves available for trading. Fisk and Gould probably made a profit of about $11 million by their manipulations, but many businesspeople claimed to have been ruined by the panic.

The name Black Friday has occasionally been applied also to the Friday of September 19, 1873, when the New York Stock Exchange suffered a major financial crash that ushered in the panic of 1873.

Just about the busiest shopping day of the year. It's the first official shopping day of the Christmas season. People start lining up to get into the stores that have the best bargains at 4am in the morning, traffic is miserable, people act like morons. It's quite the American custom.

I participated in it ONCE. NEVER AGAIN!

In other words Marvin, people forget all reason and act like total idiots in preparation for the pagan Roman feast of the Saturnalia.