Rolling Stone: Letters to the Editor

marvin

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Received a reply back from ICE Magazine today:

QUOTE:

Thanks, Marvin. Unfortunately, ICE only covers albums, and only in advance Of release. If there should be a record coming out of the reunion, do

let me know.

Best,

Gene Sculatti

Managing Editor

ICE Magazine

ENDQUOTE

I replied that there was most likely going to be a DVD release and possibly a live CD.

Marvin

Marv, Ya know how we've been talking about the HoF and the absence of recognition for the Raspberries? Well, I was having a discussion, today, with a friend who has had some dealings with the R&R HoF. What he told me blew me away. I'm sure you, Bernie and many others already knew this, but most of us don't - the HoF is controlled by the Rolling Stone Magazine group. Holy kwap! eekcrazy - That answers a lot of questions dontchathink?

Ted

Well guess what? I actually just got off the phone with Rolling Stone mag in NYC. I spoke with the NYC Managing Editor's assistant. I asked her why "RS was not giving any coverage to the reunion of the Raspberries." She replied, "Hmm..good question, would you like to speak with Associate Editor, Jonathan Ringen?", to which I replied, "Certainly." Next thing I know I'm leaving a message on Mr Ringen's voicemail. If he calls me back, I'll make sure to let everyone know what he says.

Marvin

I actually just got off the phone with Rolling Stone mag in NYC. I spoke with the NYC Managing Editor's assistant. I asked her why "RS was not giving any coverage to the reunion of the Raspberries." She replied, "Hmm..good question, would you like to speak with Associate Editor, Jonathan Ringen?", to which I replied, "Certainly." Next thing I know I'm leaving a message on Mr Ringen's voicemail.

MARVIN, YOU F%&@ING ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M DYING TO HEAR WHAT THEY SAY

So I just got a call back from the Managing Editor's assistant (at least they are showing a bit of courtesy and returning calls), this time she says, "Mr Ringen will not be back in the office until Monday. Would you like his email address so that you can send him your concerns?"

Guess what I answered?

Marvin

Ted,

The HoF isn't controlled by Rolling Stone, but Jann Wenner (founder and publisher of Rolling Stone) is vice chairman of the board of directors and one of the founders of the HoF. The board is made up of several folks in the industry (including Clive Davis, Jimmy Iovine, Quincy Jones, David Geffen, Lenny Waronker, Mo Ostin, Ahmet Ertegun (chairman), Seymour Stein, and dozens more)

Thanks for the update Barb. My source did not give me the details of the individuals involved but did mention how HoF decisions are heavily influenced by Jann Wenner and the Rolling Stone group. His point was, inclusion has less to do with merit and more to do with agendas.

My source's involvement (sorry can't give his name) is with one of the giants in the music industry for the last 40 years.

Ted

Ted,

Jann and Seymour Stein were primary fources in the existence of a Rock'n'Roll HoF so they do carry a loyt of weight. There were lots of folks that didn't think there should be a HoF. The idea being that Rock'n'Roll has always been about rebellion and a HoF would be selling out. I never bought into that rebellion for rebellion's sake. A lot of people complain that politics and agendas heavily influence the HoF and it's policies and I won't dispute it. The same can be said for the Academy Awards. There is no perfect system so I tend to think a lot of the criticisms are unfair. I think we all tend to think it would be a better world if it followed our own personal agendas.

Hey Marvin

Any news yet? We're waiting to hear from you. Do we really have to wait until next Monday? Are you going to tell us what you said in your e-mail? Should you be giving us all the e-mail address so we can ALL send Mr. Ringen our concerns? They always say for 1 person that conplains, there are 100 who feel the same but don't take the time to complain. If 100 of us all protest the Berrie's exclusion, they might get the idea that there is a huge fan base out here.

Hall of Fame

The day after the concert Cindy and I went throught the museum (where she literally bumped into Paul Schaefer)and I got a kick out of the Raspberries section. There was a drum head and Wallys patchwork jeans, but I had to chuckle when I saw the bare spot and the sign for Wally's famous flying V guitar.

He got it out for the show.

Seattle Steve

Just received this from Entertainment Weekly:

QUOTE:

Marvin,

I think you'll be pleased to know I wrote something on the Raspberries' reunion for the latest issue, which has Lindsay Lohan on the cover. It's in the Listen 2 This supplement, which not everybody gets as part of the magazine, but hopefully you signed up to get it in your subscription. Thanks for writing!

Chris Willman

ENDQUOTE

Ted,

Should have asked Paul Schaefer if he went to the show though the HOF had assigned a security guard shadow to him. Now that I think about it, it wasn't Saturday but Sunday we saw him (took in a Cavalier game Saturday) and he was in town as he is part of the Blue Brothers (Dan Ackroyd-John Belushi act) that played at the HOB Sunday night.

At first I was kicking myself for not getting tickets to that show too since I didn't leave until Monday morning but found out that the entire sold out show was private party-invite only.

BTW.. Eric played on Letterman with Ringo so I'm assuming he has met Paul. Letterman would be a great promo, better than the housewives who sat around watching Mike Douglas in the afternoon in the 70's.

Seattle Steve