Bad News....

Brian

Thanks Ron,

If EC had called a cab he would have had the same ba content and no one would have known about this, or considered he has a problem. Most all of us have partied over .08 ba, perhaps at home, it's a mistake, dangerous, and illegal to get behind the wheel, EC knows that, and obviously regrets it.

I'm sadden that this is getting more attention than his music.

If you really care about Eric, I would assume you would like to learn of and support his desires.. I'm totally speculating, but I suspect he is not desiring 200 posts on this matter.

I am fearful that we will never hear from him again on this board.

He was wrong, he knows it, Let it go..

I know that I don't post very often. Compared to many of you, I guess you could say that I don't post at all. But then you would be wrong. I love Eric and the rest of the band. As the "Raspberries" biggest supporter in California, I was in New York as a VIP member. And then again at both California concerts. I can't wait to see them again SOON. So with that I send out a BIG CALIFORNIA prayer to Eric, his family, friends, Wally, Jim, and Dave.

I have never had a problem with drinking so I can not judge. All I can do is support the man that changed my life when I was a young boy in 1970. I may not be known, but I am the silent reader at every post. Eric IS my HERO and now is the time to come to his help as he has come to mine on many occations without even knowing it. I would not be alive today had it not been for that man. I have only met him and the rest of the band 3 times and he will never know just how important his music was to me. And I fell the same about Wally, Jim, and Dave. They will always be the "Raspberries" to me and their timing in my life was perfect.

You can do it big man, and then come back to California to pack the house. We love you Eric.

Take Care,

Paul

It is truly amazing that several posters (thankfully a very small minority) seem to think it is Ok to "let your hair down" or maybe Eric just drank 2 times in 18 months and was unlucky enough to get caught twice.

The man we all love, whether we post once a year or 1000, has a problem that could have killed him (or someone else) instantly and is probably slowly killing him every day that passes.

Let us band together and send him our very tough love and pray for his seeking help and recovering.

People go through tough times in their lives, and the tough people, with the loving support of those around them, survive. We all want Eric to survive, so let's stop picking on each other and unite in pulling for him.

While it's naive to think that Eric has only had a drink twice in 18 months, it's also presumptuous to think that he has a serious drinking problem... I drink... I like to drink... I love the feel of that first swallow of Crown Royal and Coke... and I love to be able to "let my hair down" on occasion... and once, maybe twice a week I go to my local "American Legion", of which I am a member, and have two or three... I choose to do this on nights when I do not have to work the next day... and do not get sloshed and drive home...

I'm really not sure why we're all predicting Eric's admission to rehab or suggesting he join AA... just take a cab or hire a limo for the night... Just don't do it so often that you end up with liver disease... 'cause man, as much as we love you, I don't see any of us giving up one for you...

Well, come to think of it...I'm sure someone here can spare one... maybe next time you "choke Cartmill" you can have his... wink

Thank you "pauliemississippi." If you read my reply Art, you will see that I do not know if Eric has a drinking problem or not.

Did he drink to much that night, YES.

Did he make a very bad decision to drive a car, YES.

Did he get into an accident that could have hurt himself or someone else and maybe even kill them or him, YES.

Has he been arrested in the past for this very same behavior with a simular outcome, Yes, YES.

All I am suggesting is that we should not judge the man and then lynch him if we do not have all of the facts. What Eric did was bad. That doesn't mean that we should toss him to the curb either. You have asked everone to pull together. I am asking the same. All I meant was that Eric changed my life for the better. Maybe, you think, he has others as well. Let's pray that if there is a problem, it is over or being taken care and that Eric uses better judgement in the future. I don't drink but I am a cop, yet I can still see the good in Eric greatly outweighs the bad.

I hope that everyone will pull together. Eric MAY need our help. It is just important for him to know that either way we are here for him.

That was all,

Paul

Okay, some of you psychologists (and I'm not meaning everyone on the board, as has been implied)...I have quietly observed this board for a long time, been to six of the most recent concerts, took as many as 20 people, enjoy and remain as committed as anyone who understands these folks' enormous talent and know some of them personally. Judging by the responses from some of you who have clearly passed judgment, I obviously, very intentionally, and successfully "hit a nerve!" The exact nerve I intended because yes, as we are all entitled to our opinion, some of us are defending our lame perspectives as though they are valid opinions! Many times in such highly difficult and very sad cases, it's sometimes better to keep your thoughts to yourself...I am not "nullifying" anyone's support...I am just defying those who must cast stones! You know who you are!! All I'm saying is get off of the poor guy's ass!

When I saw the video posted, I was deeply saddened by the loss of vitality that was being held up for everyone to see...kinda like the dark ages burnings-at-the-stake and public hangings. The weasles from Orange were essentially saying: "wow...look who we got!!"

Bye, bye...I resign!

Peace

Thanks Art. We are all on the same team here and I feel that everyone wants to be there, even Mark, for ERIC. So I will sign off with this last comment to everyone.

Eric is human and so are we. He is our brother and we ALL love him.

If, and I did say if, Eric needs our help, lets be there for him. If he doesn't need you help, let still be there for him.

Take care fans,

Paul

I don’t think it really matters how long you’ve been a member here, or how many posts you have. We’re ALL here for one reason and one reason only…..we’re fans. This unfortunate situation has made some of the “lurkers†come out of the woodwork and share their opinions (whatever they may be) or to show their support. As I said a million times…..opinions are feelings and feelings are neither right nor wrong. I don’t think anyone here is casting stones or being judgmental. I think we’re being logical. THIS IS REALITY !! Had this happened to anyone else on this board, I am positive that each and every one of you would be sounding off giving that person a good piece of your mind !!

I am not one to hold my tongue, and I want to reiterate that I certainly DO NOT condone what has happened. He made a very very big boo-boo and must now face the consequences. Well, you reap what you sew. I am sure he is fully aware that he made a mistake and is beating himself up over this fully agonizing over the repercussions.

HOWEVER, I absolutely do feel that support and words of encouragement from anyone are very important at this time, for without it, he doesn’t have a leg to stand on to face this problem. We’ve all watched the video. We’ve all seen the mugshots. We’ve all seen it on the news and read all about in on the internet. The initial shock is over !! Now its time for the compassion to set in so he can work on getting his dignity and self respect back.

Eric Carmen should be treated like any other person via the law; nothing more or less. Sure he is a very talented musician but that should have no sway concerning his infractions. He is simply lucky that no one was hurt / killed in these instances; still, measures need to be taken to make sure that he never drives under the influence again.

Quote:
Now its time for the compassion to set in so he can work on getting his dignity and self respect back.
I agree, 100% Diane.

So does this mean we have said our piece enough times? Probably not, but it's time to move on.

Eric gets the point - He screwed up -- we care - we love him - we love his music, etc.. He needs to be left to work it out with himself and his family.

I, for one, think it's time for us to move on so he and his loved ones can take the next step.

Cream cheese is NOT booze, Darlene. I have no knowledge of anyone ever being injured due to an overdose of cream cheese.

Actually, I do have some problems with milk products, Art, and one of the few out there that do. I love ice cream, but just can't have it all that often.....I have caused myself more harm with three scoops of ice cream, than I would with three shots of vodka.

But the concern would be with the people around me.

After three days of posting, I hope Eric has checked out the boards and realizes how much we all care for him and his health. I'm sure our support helps him a little.....maybe a lot. I don't post on here as regularly as I'd like to, but when I heard the news I jumped on here immediately!! It's nice to have a community to share these feelings and our universal support. I'm sure Eric will be fine. Hopefully, he'll post on here soon when he feels up to it. Nice to read everyone's take on things. The one thing we ALL have in common is love of Eric's music and concern for his well being. As I said, I'm sure it's comforting for him to know that.

Between the ages of 21-23 I thought nothing of driving home after a few beers at the local bar, or a friends house. All that changed the night after I lost my best friend. He was driving home from a bar, on a dark road around 2AM. This particular road was occupied by warehouses that trucks would back up into, even at night. My buddy was going home and didnt see the semi that was in the road backing into one of those docks. He slammed into and underneath the trailor doing about 40MPH. The police said he died instantly. The trailor had no lights on it, so he never saw what was waiting in front of him up ahead.

Could he have avoided the truck if he hadnt been drinking? Who knows. All I know is his reflexes and judgement would've been better and he might have. What makes this even more sad, was he had been ata bar about 20 miles from his house. At the time of the accident, he was 2 blocks away from home. This was a wake up call to me, as I was supposed to have been with him that very night, but cancelled out.

I guess my point of all this is, Eric wasnt far from home. We could very well be reading his obituary, instead of his arrest.

Jeff