Bad News....

Brian

Daisy check here to read some of Eric's thought process regarding "ABM." http://www.ericcarmen.com/eric/interviews.htm

Thanks for sending me that, Marvin. I don't think I would have found it on my own.

I read most of it but still want more time to chew on it. Something feels like it's missing, but I don't know what that is, exactly. I can let you know when I discover it. The article is very good, though.

I know nothing about music theory (seriously considering getting a Masters in Music though) and I need help understanding what he means here by solo, and also the paragraph directly below doesn't tell me a whole lot about minute details of "incorporating." The text feels empty, like it needs air to breathe. And maybe I need to figure out what it needs before I ask somebody to give me that.

How did the song come about? When I was writing that album, I was listening to my favorite music which was Rachmaninoff. "All By Myself" incorporated a melody from his 2nd piano concerto as the verse.

And the solo?

The solo is mine. The song started with the solo. It started four bars at a time. Eventually, over a period of two months, that entire interlude had been written. Then my quest was to put this in the middle of an actual song. Then it was a matter of trying to figure out what kind of song and how could I do it. I was listening to Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto and I heard the melody which I used for the verse.

DM

C'mon Bernie! The last edition ended with the sage advice: "Enjoy the memories, kids. NO WAY the boys would ever get back together and play any gigs, where we could see and have recordings of these classic tunes performed live and with new technolgy...Too much water under the bridge..."

Tony, you don't know the half of it. Ken Sharp and I were presenting Eric with the first copy of Marathon Man hot off the presses in which we so deftly noted that a Raspberries reunion would never happen. As he held the book in his hands for the first time he said, "Oh, by the way, the band's getting back together again." I kid you not! It was like a scene from a movie! Anyway, a new edition is needed JUST to RE-write the reunion history alone!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Cartmill:

C'mon Bernie! The last edition ended with the sage advice: "Enjoy the memories, kids. NO WAY the boys would ever get back together and play any gigs, where we could see and have recordings of these classic tunes performed live and with new technolgy...Too much water under the bridge..."

Tony, you don't know the half of it. Ken Sharp and I were presenting Eric with the first copy of Marathon Man hot off the presses in which we so deftly noted that a Raspberries reunion would never happen. As he held the book in his hands for the first time he said, "Oh, by the way, the band's getting back together again." I kid you not! It was like a scene from a movie! Anyway, a new edition is needed JUST to RE-write the reunion history alone!
But Bernie wasn't that covered in your "Raspberries Tonight!" book?

In what sense do you mean something's missing, Daisy? You mean details on how he writes? I agree with Hollies in that Eric's (prose) writing style is very precise and to the point, so I always understand exactly what he means also.

The solo he's referring to is the beautiful piano soliloquy that carries you back to the recap. He calls it the "interlude," which is what it is. That is totally original, Eric's own. To me, it's the most beautiful part of that gorgeous work.

smile --Darlene

And the other half of that story is that Marvin and I, along with a bunch of other people, were sitting around the table outside in Raspbernie's yard, having just received our copies of the new book, ECMM and just meeting each other for the first time.

Everyone was extremely excited--the book was a treasure in our hands, foreword by Cameron Crowe, etc. etc. Then, somebody said, "It's too bad that we'll never get to see them in our lifetime."

Then I said, "Don't worry. They'll get back together and we *will* see them again in our lifetime. Don't ask me how I know, but I just do."

These people had just met me and I could tell by the way they were looking at me that they were all thinking, "This girl is *nuts*!" Somebody even said, "Yeah, right."

What we couldn't know (and *didn't* know!) is that Bernie already knew plans were in the works and he couldn't say anything. It must have floored him when I sounded so positive because I couldn't have known the big secret. Also, if anyone at that table had had even an inkling of what was going on behind the scenes, or that Bernie and Ken knew anything, we would have been in orbit that day. What a time that was!

smile --Darlene

What we couldn't know (and *didn't* know!) is that Bernie already knew plans were in the works and he couldn't say anything. It must have floored him when I sounded so positive because I couldn't have known the big secret. Also, if anyone at that table had had even an inkling of what was going on behind the scenes, or that Bernie and Ken knew anything, we would have been in orbit that day. What a time that was!

smile --Darlene

The get-together at Bernie's was during the 1st week of August 2004. I was visiting family in NJ. When I got back to Montreal a week later, a 'little birdie' had already broken the news to me. I called Bernie the moment I found out, and he said that it was true. I was bursting with excitment - but sworn to secrecy.

I know exactly what Eric is talking about when reading that passage...what could be missing?

I'm not sure what's missing, but I'm probably referring more to the literary technical side than the musical technical side, or maybe a little bit of both, if that makes any sense.

It's a little late in the day now and my brain is pretty much fried. As I said, I'll chew on it some more and write again.

In what sense do you mean something's missing, Daisy? You mean details on how he writes? I agree with Hollies in that Eric's (prose) writing style is very precise and to the point, so I always understand exactly what he means also. The solo he's referring to is the beautiful piano soliloquy that carries you back to the recap. He calls it the "interlude," which is what it is. That is totally original, Eric's own. To me, it's the most beautiful part of that gorgeous work. smile --Darlene

Before I go, I just wanted to say that I am pretty sure I understand the 4 bars at a time thingy, but what part of the song has the solo? Recap? Soliloquy? Interlude? I've got some words to look up tomorrow morning, lol. :p

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Cartmill:

I finally read the whole book, Bernie...and you didn't have to add more photos or take out any big words! (nothing like a blonde with dyslexia) wink

I loved it!!!!!!!

To JCraft: I've noticed that you don't post much anymore, and I truly miss your posts. I always enjoyed reading what you have to say.

Don't be a stranger. *Everything* about the music (or 'most everything) has already been said, but I love hearing your insights and observations.

You're a true gentleman and I hope you'll stay around and post often again.

smile --Darlene

Quote:
Originally posted by Daisy McLintock:

I actually came here to see if anyone knew where I could get a copy of Eric’s biography.

Daisy, The bad news is that Eric Carmen: Marathon Man sold out rather quickly and has been out of print for years. The good news is that an updated and expanded REVISED edition is in the works. Keep watching EricCarmen.com for details.
Out of print? Usually good-selling books remain in print....

Daisy I know you are a very newbie new member here and that is why I know that you aren't 'up to speed' on alot of things concerning our loveable "Raspberries".

I just want you to know that "Raspbernie...the moderator of this awesome site is ALSO the biographer of Eric Carmen's 'Marathon Man' so you kinda just insulted him when you said that about usually good books stay in print...which is NOT always the case when the books have a limited edition press release...sometimes publishers will only do say 5,000 copies and that's what makes the books true collector items...Marathon Man is just such a book...limited press release...highly sought after/extremely collectible...some of these were even numbered and autographed by Eric Carmen!! Now for the other matter of the piano solo you can use 'private message' to me and I will explain it to you as clearly as I can so you know what hollies65 was trying to share with you...as for Marvin's response...just take it with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Originally posted by Daisy McLintock:

Quote:
Originally posted by hollies65:

The solo is the piano playing in the middle that does not play the the songs verse or chorus melody.

Does the solo begin at 2:46 on the time clock on this version? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3j_fdSpkmE
With all due respect, I need to leave the room now and break into laughter.
Not a problem, Marvin. Not a problem.

It was NOT an insult.

You actually have it backwards, Raspberriewolf. It is a compliment to the author to want to find a copy of his book.

I was inquiring as to why there are no more copies for me to buy. If the publisher had any brains, and saw that the book sold out quickly, they'd publish more of it....

It is a good book and is still in demand. To me that's a compliment, not an insult.

I totally forgot about limited runs. I don't hear or read about that aspect often.

The book needs to be brought into re-print mode.

Help me out here Daisy (and I apologize if I'm off-base): You say you're studying toward a "degree in Writing", and a "Masters in Music", but you don't understand where the instrumental / solo is in "All By Myself"? Am I the only one who is missing something here?

Marvin - I'm getting my degree in text Writing, not music. BIG difference.

Also, I said I was SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING getting a Masters in Music. I didn't say that I was studying music, which means I am still in the dark as far as anything theoretical regarding music.

I didn't write All By Myself so no, I don't know where the friggin solo lies.... I asked quite a simple question and was really hoping for a reply for a specific reason. If I'm right then I'll tell you.