Bad News....

Brian

Once again...I don't apologize for a single thing I said here. If some people think it's "attempting to look into his head" and they don't like it...too bad.

I don't think anyone has to apologize for anything regarding their opinion about this situation. No one has done any name calling or has even been negative.

Why shouldn't Eric know personally how is die hard fans feel about him? I mean truthfully, we're the ones who buy everything Eric and Raspberries related aren't we?

Doesn't Eric come on here and be brutally honest about his political preferences even though some of us feel differently?

Personally I don't think Eric appreciates people who like to suck up, kiss ass, and blow smoke. His fans are a lot more intelligent than that.

We're TRUE FANS who are true to Eric and his music. Why would Eric expect anything less than the truth from us?

What album and song are Beatnut and Hollies talking about? confused

I know, I should know...But...

Yes, the album is Paralell Lines by Blonie.

The song I shot to Holls was Fade Away & Radiate.

He posted Fade Away....and I posted Radiate...

Sorry if we were a little too deep for you guys...LOL laugh But weeez sofisticated. laugh

Whoopsie -- I'm the type to suck up and kiss ass!

But I'd never do that with Eric. There's no need to. I don't know him. Even if I was given the god-forsaken GLORY of meeting him, I wouldn't know what in the devil to say to him because he's had everything already said to him.

Congrats on your success? That's been said. Congrats on the birth of your children? That's been said too. How about "I love your music." If I said that to him I'm sure he'd want to puke! For that's been said 800,000 times too. The only thing I can possibly think of to say to him (that might not have been said yet) would be "Will you write a song about me?" To that he'd laugh too, I'm sure, but hey that's ok, everybody can use a good laugh.

To My Lovely Beatnut - In my most humble opinion, kissing ass and sucking up has nothing to do with intelligence. I'm in my last year of college getting my degree in Writing, if that has anything to do with anything. It just so happens that I never had any issues being extra nice to bosses or others in authority. It comes quite naturally, actually, and I've always respected those in authority or of high stature.

Great post again, Beatnut. Great post.

P.S. Whenever I do "suck up," it is always with honesty. I'd never tell someone they looked great in purple if I didn't think so. That to me is dishonesty, something I frown upon.

welcome daisy! When you get the opportunity to meet eric at a solo concert or the NEXT Raspberries meet and greet/show (i am always the optimist - but Darlene is THE SUPREME optimist!!)

you will be pleasantly surprised at how easy he is to talk to about anything and how funny and warm and genuine he is.

Great post, Daisy! I don't think the "sucking up" post was directed at you. It was probably directed to me.

I don't "suck up" (such a classy term, don't you think?) nor "blow smoke" to anyone simply because I value myself enough that I don't have to. Anyone who knows me knows that I don't flatter people. If I'm unhappy with anything anyone says or does, I'll tell them or make sure they get the point. Just ask my *former* wink boss. If you've been around long enough to read some of my more fiery posts, you know that.

There is a difference, however, between "blowing smoke" and being kind and positive. People can either go through life berating people in a self-satisfied, superior way or they can exercise some sort of understanding. I find that those who are the so quick to criticize someone else have the most to sweep off their own doorsteps.

I also think that just because someone purchases the music and memorabilia of an artist, it doesn't necessarily make that person a "true fan," nor does it entitle him/her to make judgments about the artist's personal life.

There you have it. And I'm not "blowing smoke."

smile --Darlene

PS Being brutally honest about one's own political and religious views is totally different than getting personal with someone else's life. Eric has never once made a reference to anyone's personal situation and he should be accorded the same courtesy.

I'm sure you would tell off even one of your closest friends if he began advising you on what's wrong with your life, how to bring up your kids, etc.

There's been way too much "voyeurism" into celebrity lives by people who would be the first to scream about an invasion of privacy if it happened to them. Celeb voyeurs should "get a life."

I believe in treating people the way I would expect to be treated. As my Aunt Helen used to say, "It doesn't cost anything to be nice." And Aunt Helen wasn't a "suck up."

smile --D

I think some of you are missing the point, and Darlene, I would never direct anything mean spirted to anyone here, especially you. Hope you forgive me if you feel that I did that.

What I was trying to say about sucking up and kissing ass etc. was that I think Eric would not appreciate that being that he knows his fans here to be honest. I mean who in their right mind would think what Eric did was fine just because he's Eric. That's what I meant about kissing ass...like "Oh it's OK Eric, the cops shouldn't have did what they did to you...next time hide the bottle better".

I was trying to get the point across that just because we love him we're not going to sugarcoat something he did terribly wrong just because he's Eric Carmen, someone we all admire greatly.

I certainly don't believe anyone here is prying into his life, or telling him what to do. I truly believe that as die hard fans of his we're deeply concerned about his well being.

If our opinions and truthfulness are so bad then this thread should be pulled and there should be a sticky saying "No More Talking About Eric Carmen's Personal Life", however if you wish to talk about his music and Raspberries music that will be allowable.

I'm sorry if I took your post too personally. If no offense was meant, none was taken. I don't think opinions or truthfulness are bad either, Beatnut. It's very obvious that everyone feels very concerned.

But if, as Daisy said, Eric would throw up if he heard "I love your music..." one more time, I think he'll feel more like throwing up as this discussion goes on and on and on.........

everyone's weighed in, everything's been said and re-said, and argued...........!

By now he knows what his fans feel. There's not one of us who wouldn't say, "Enough already!"

Unless he/she were an exhibitionist, then they'd love it. Anyone out there an exhibitionist? Let's talk about YOU! wink

smile --D

Thanks Darlene,

Believe me, no offense was intended.

Maybe Bernie should just put a sign up now and say Last Call for one last comment then lock this up.

I know what you mean about it going on and on, but sometimes folks here make an interesting post ( like Trindy) and you want to comment about that person's post. Just because it's interesting and not because you want to beat a dead horse.

Almost like the way you responded to me and now me back to you..I guess that makes us both guilty of dragging this out further LOL

smile

Bottom line is this. I would hope somehow Eric did read every post on this thread because maybe one post might somehow hit home with him.

As for the exhibitionist thing, i'll show you mine if you show me yours laughcryinghaha

" he amongst you who is without sin, cast the first stone. "

I cant recall who said this, maybe Buddy Hackett or Brett Favre, but as I read the tone of some of these posts it's a quote worth reflecting on.

We all make mistakes, weve all done things, I would think, we arent particularly proud of. I am sure these are painful times and we should wish Eric the best on these issues.

I have a habit of not comdemning others for things Ive done myself.

welcome daisy! When you get the opportunity to meet eric at a solo concert or the NEXT Raspberries meet and greet/show (i am always the optimist - but Darlene is THE SUPREME optimist!!)

you will be pleasantly surprised at how easy he is to talk to about anything and how funny and warm and genuine he is.

Dear Annie & Hollies,

I think that would be neat to meet Eric, but honestly, I don’t see that happening - - and I’m okay with that. I actually came here to see if anyone knew where I could get a copy of Eric’s biography. I wrote to someone who I thought was the author, but he never wrote back. I’ll keep on searching.

I believe I relate to Eric more on a professional level than a personal level.

This may not sound picturesque to some, but it’s how I feel about the famous. I looked up “public figure†online and this is what dictionary.com said. public figure: “A famous person whose life and behavior are the focus of intense public interest and scrutiny.†Given that definition I can’t help but feel that Eric is a public figure. People are, and will talk about him. They like him and are interested in him.

Since I do not know Eric personally I will not make the assumption that he sought fame purposely (nothing wrong with that if he did!!!!!!!!). I will say that I do know there are some people in the entertainment business who are perfectly happy not being famous, but then there are others who sought fame purposely. Some don’t mind the fame, some do. My point -- once you enter the wonderful world of entertainment (and I do mean that genuinely) you subject yourself to public scrutiny, like it or not.

Yes there are photographers and paparazzi that disobey the rules concerning public figures, and shame on them. I don’t know all the details or the court outcome of Depp’s case, but I can honestly say I don’t blame Johnny Depp for hitting the photographer with his car. They CAN get in the way while relaxing.

Thanks for posting. smile

DM

I actually came here to see if anyone knew where I could get a copy of Eric’s biography.

Daisy,

The bad news is that Eric Carmen: Marathon Man sold out rather quickly and has been out of print for years. The good news is that an updated and expanded REVISED edition is in the works. Keep watching EricCarmen.com for details.

C'mon Bernie! The last edition ended with the sage advice: "Enjoy the memories, kids. NO WAY the boys would ever get back together and play any gigs, where we could see and have recordings of these classic tunes performed live and with new technolgy...Too much water under the bridge..."

So, unless I missed something, what could you possibly add with a revised edition of that classic book?

Bernie's just trying to "milk" the Carmen mythical legacy... arrgh

Dear Raspbernie,

Oh thank you so much for the update. Will this new version have the photos that are in the old version, I hope???

Any projected publishing date?

I haven't read the old version obviously, but I'd like to read about how and when he got the idea to use Rach's work, how he formulated it. I'm not talking about the notes and putting them on paper. I'm talking about how he envisioned "All By Myself" (all of my interest lies with "All By Myself because of its classical senses) to be before, during, and after he wrote it. And what drew him to that particular Rach piece?

Those are the things I'd LOVE to read about. If they're in the current book then too bad I don't have it.

I would THOROUGHLY enjoy reading about getting into that head of his! The reason I say that is because that's the core of my passion for music, yes, reading about musicians and finding out what their cores are and what makes them tick. Seeing their passion in their performances makes me tick, too.

Looking forward to the new version. smileheartpumpsmileheartpump

Again, thanks for your reply.

DM

OK--so here I sit with my Gentleman Jack & coke in hand, trying to catch up on all the post. I don't post much anymore, most of what I would say is already said. But I can't help but chime in now. You see, I do believe Eric has a problem. The same problem many of us have, but manage to cover up. For those of you who would sit in judgement that EC was .23 something or other, over the limit and got behind the wheel you may want to honestly ask your self how many times you've been .08 and done the same. You see thats legally drunk most places. It means your ability to drive a vehicle is impaired and every person between you and your destination, through no fault of their own, now has less chance to live.

Now right about here is where you'll start to justify things. Some will proudly proclaim that they are perfectly fine operating a 2000lb. death machine at this level. I used to state that I drove better when I drank because I was afraid of getting caught.

Some will say there is a difference between being 3 times over the limit and just barely over. If you want an unsual thrill, try telling that to a MADD group.

The truth is I feel bad for EC and his family, but I feel worse for the rest of us on this board who won't learn from his mistake. You may not get to see it on you-tube, but I'll bet one of us will walk that walk someday.

For around 36 years we have been inspired by the man's music. Here's a prayer that now, we learn from his life.

JIM