Bad News....

Brian

From what Eric has given so many of us, I believe he has earned the benefit of the doubt. Not preaching either way, but I choose respect over humility/lecture. He pulled a lot of us through tough times over the years without pushing, he pulled us in with his melodies and lyrics. I'm for not pushing, if EC want's this attention, we'll get a signal, and be pulled.

My one cents worth. S

The thread is still there, I dont know why it wouldnt show up in the link I provided, but here's what "Rockerman" had to say:

I just remembered that Eric was also arrested for a DUI sometime between 1999 to 2001 because I remember folks were talking about it on the forum on his website when I visited it sometime during that period. So he's evidently a full-blown alcoholic and has been for quiet some time. Really sad.

Here is my reply:

How does two DUI's make him a "full blown alchoholic"?

As stated before, he's been grieving deeply at the loss of his father. Other than these two serious mistakes of bad judgement on his part, there's been no evidence in the past that he's ever had a drinking problem. Besides, if he was a full blown alchohlic he'd look a lot worse, and be showing the physical tell tale signs of one. To me, for a man of 59 he looks pretty damn good.

Also your recollection of his first DUI is a bit off time wise. The first one was 16 months ago, not between 1999-2001 as you stated. I'm a member on his forum since 2000 and visit there at least every other day. I'm not sure someone can form an opinion from a "visit" to his forum from 8 years ago.

Just my 2 cents...

Jeff

Eric, I've read a few times, people saying that your excessive drinking might be partly due to the death of your father. I could really understand that, but here's the way I coped.

I'm a recovering alcoholic. I've been sober for 18 years. My father, who I loved very much, had no time for me because I was such a loser, and I was also a disgrace in every other way. A couple of years after I got sober, and he realised I was serious about it, he and I slowly but surely started to become friends.At the time of his death 7 years ago, we were best mates, and I heard through the grapevine that he was very proud of me.

I was with him in hospital when he died, and it broke my heart. I could hear a voice in my head saying " go and get a bottle of whiskey, that'll help you". That probably seems totally daft to the readers of this, but the voice was so strong and realistic, I believed it was the devil. I answered the voice mentally by saying, " Go f**k yourself, I've let my father down for most of his life, I'm not going to let him down in death. And thankfully, I'm still dry and am able to help people who are trying to kick the habit, but that's only if they WANT to kick it.

Jim.

Eric can't kick the cigarette habit when he's known for years it will shorten his life. Now he can't stop drinking the booze before/while driving home?...

I guess he's not looking forward to hangin' with the grandkids. frown

At least he's left an unforgettable legacy...I was hoping for a few more new tunes to add to his imortality, but...I guess "Happy Hour" is calling.

What a bitch I am today...Gee, I hope Mark and Don don't get mad. :P

You know Tony....sometimes you are funny but these comments are pretty darn insensitive!

Thanks Art. I've heard it say that, example is the best teacher of all. Well it must be true 'cause I know 3 people who say that seeing me recover has given them the will to get it together. The three of them are chronic alcoholics like myself. Between them, they have a total of 12 years soberiety.

From what Eric has given so many of us, I believe he has earned the benefit of the doubt. Not preaching either way, but I choose respect over humility/lecture. He pulled a lot of us through tough times over the years without pushing, he pulled us in with his melodies and lyrics. I'm for not pushing, if EC wants this attention, we'll get a signal and be pulled. My one cents worth. S

Steve, that's where I net out, too. I would just add that "in my hour of darkness" (to quote "Let It Be"), I've always found solace not only in family and friends and in my favorite music, but in my work. And that's what I'm hoping Eric does. However strong the "pull" of the pub may be, I hope Eric finds his way to that ol' piano or guitar more frequently, and that he turns the negative of last week into a positive.

I just listened to Brian Wilson's Lucky Old Sun CD for the first time, and I was really moved by it. Not just by some of the music itself (including his update of "Surfer Girl"), but by the fact that Brian wove this nice piece of work around a California-based theme and got really, really creative.

It's a thrill to see how far Brian has come back from his depths. I'm not saying Eric has ever found himself at rock bottom the way Brian did (heck, few people ever bottom out quite like that!). I'm just saying that however low Brian got, he started turning things around in the 1990s when he got more "into" music than he had been in a long time, and he got more serious about it, and he let his creativity guide him, so to speak. I think Eric still has LOTS of that in him, with 'berries and solo. He'll get there. The preaching and lecturing on this thread shouldn't override the bottom line: Eric, you've got a ton of people rooting for you.

It's a thrill to see how far Brian has come back from his depths. I'm not saying Eric has ever found himself at rock bottom the way Brian did (heck, few people ever bottom out quite like that!). I'm just saying that however low Brian got, he started turning things around in the 1990s when he got more "into" music than he had been in a long time, and he got more serious about it, and he let his creativity guide him, so to speak. I think Eric still has LOTS of that in him, with 'berries and solo. He'll get there. The preaching and lecturing on this thread shouldn't override the bottom line: Eric, you've got a ton of people rooting for you.

Interesting analogy LC. In fact, I've been expressing a similar sentiment to friends. I'm guessing that David Leaf had a lot to do with Brian's turnaround: surrounding him with positive people, with musicians who were honored to work with him. Brian will likely never reach the creative peak that he hit in the 1960's, but he's been able to come back and give his fans so much - when everyone counted him out. Of course I don't know what's happening in Eric's personal life, but a creative person like him needs to create and keep busy.

Thanks LC,

I believe we agree. EC and BW have some similarities musically, but not personally. EC is well grounded, a bright business man, a better family man, though they share the same musical genius. You will never see EC put sand in his den and tell the other three 'berries to tour without him.

Dumb late night choice, nothing more.. don't read anything more into this. I've done it.. many of you may have too, doesn't define me..

My 1/2 cents worth

Steve

Steve

This thread will not be deleted, even though I have personally stopped reading it. My advise to the few of you that are involved in heated arguments here is to step away from the thread for a day or two and watch some tv, read a book or go to a restaurant. Then come back relaxed, refreshed and (hopefully) less bitter. Trust me, life is too short to let what's said on an internet Message Board affect your actual lives. Just my two cents.

This thread will not be deleted, even though I have personally stopped reading it. My advise to the few of you that are involved in heated arguments here is to step away from the thread for a day or two and watch some tv, read a book or go to a restaurant. Then come back relaxed, refreshed and (hopefully) less bitter. Trust me, life is too short to let what's said on an internet Message Board affect your actual lives. Just my two cents.

YEP,

Change is constant &

New information leads to new perspective!

Wise words, oh grasshopper!...lol

I can say one thing: I've been away from here for days, and I'm still not sorry for a thing I said.

In my view, it's perfectly possible for me to have a sincere adoration for Eric's music and respect for the man, and an understanding and empathy for his emotional pain, without being one whit understanding or forgiving of the action he took when he chose to drink and drive. Because, like it or not, folks, that's what drinking and driving is: a choice. A decision. It doesn't "just happen." The Drunk Driving Fairy doesn't come and force you behind the wheel. You get there on your own.

If anything, if one chooses to drink WHILE one is driving, that's even more of a blatant choice than to decide to drive after you have been drinking.

I'm not going to apologize for the feeling that came over me when I heard about this and realized that had fate been just a little different, someone I love could have been in his path. Not to mention someone who somebody else loves. Or a tree, or a building.

I don't think any of this makes me a bad fan, or a disloyal fan, or a fair-weather fan, or an "out of the woodwork" fan, or a fan who is "on his case"...or any of the other put-downs that have been expressed by anyone here to imply that criticism equals disloyalty.

Indeed, if I were truly a bad fan, I just wouldn't care. Especially if he didn't live anywhere near me or anyone I know or love.

But that's not how it is.

And you know what? It doesn't matter whether a given individual is "an alcoholic" or not. It's the combination of alcohol and a motor vehicle that is the problem.

But the fact that this kind of thing has happened not only once, but twice, is enough to raise legitimate concern in anyone.

I'm like anyone else. I want what's best for Eric and will ultimately make him happy. But in this condition, he is, to use the old cliche, a danger to himself and others. It has to change. For everyone's sake. Whatever he needs to do to make that change, he has my best wishes and support for it.

Not so unbeleiveable, it is how our system works. A not guilty plea has nothing to do with admittance of guilt or failure to admit guilt...it has everything to do with protecting your own rights and keeping your options open for now. He can always change his plea or "bargain" later. Fred has work to do in the meantime!

.....maybe everyone who has ever driven under the influence of alcohol even once should just turn themselves in and face the consequences.

In the early 1990's I got hit by a drunk driver who was fleeing from another accident. My car wasn't hurt that bad--he just hit the back bumper from the side. It sure did mess up my back though, and to this day I have a huge numb spot on my leg from nerve damage. Yep, it could have been a lot worse. It was about 5:30 in the afternoon, not really a time of day when you're worried about that sort of thing happening to you.

We all do things in life that we regret. We all wish we could rewind some things and do them over again. Sometimes, we just need to say, "Hey, I did a dumb thing. I am so sorry." and then we need to make sure that the dumb thing never happens again, and face the music, so to speak. Then, learn from our mistakes and move on with our lives. God's grace is an amazing tool for that very thing. Accepting the consequences for our actions, asking for forgiveness and making some changes are all it takes. Pretty simple really.

Eric, you and your family are in my prayers.

Julie

The not guilty plea gives the defense some leverage in negotiating a sentence with the D.A. It also buys time so that Eric can get treatment which will be good for him and help the Judge make an informed decision at sentencing. In light of this evidence, there is no way that Eric faces the judge without recognition of a problem and serious steps that have already been taken to solve it.

I'm not comfortable with efforts here to get into Eric's head. Until you have walked in someone's shoes or have been invited by that person to delve into personal matters, it's really going somewhere you shouldn't. That's not a qualitative statement on my part about what's happened - we just don't know and that aspect is private.

Empathy in a situation like this is important. A "Sunrise" type song is for later. Now, lets experience the wailing strings of the last movement of Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony. This is the first stage.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=tc...ision&cd=1#

"The not guilty plea gives the defense some leverage in negotiating a sentence with the D.A. It also buys time so that Eric can get treatment which will be good for him and help the Judge make an informed decision at sentencing. In light of this evidence, there is no way that Eric faces the judge without recognition of a problem and serious steps that have already been taken to solve it."

Right on. We all wish him well.

Barbara in Las Vegas

As someone who doesn't like alcohol (the taste or the effects, not to mention the calories), it's hard to understand choices that people make to drink and drive. It's sort of like Russian roulette. The society is an enabler. Some societies really come down Very hard ( like permanent revocation of license). But then, I also wonder if the drinking was in a bar, what the liability of the bar is. I think there are laws that bars aren't supposed to serve too many drinks to people, but are these ever enforced? It all adds up to society looking the other way, sorry to say. The number of lives lost nationally to this is probably more than to some diseases, but the people killed are usually not sick.

Get well soon. We love you.