>>Saturday Showdown ñ Side 3

Raspbernie

The original Raspberries (Eric, Wally, Jim and Dave) managed to piece together an uneven effort for their third (and final) album SIDE 3. The boys were all heading separate ways by now, and the disjointed mix of songs showed it. Eric was still tipping his hat to Brian Wilson ("On The Beach") while Wally was looking to be the next Joe Walsh ("Money Down") and Dave couldn't keep secret his desire to start an Eagles cover band ("Should I Wait.") Still, the LP did have some massively memorable tunes, including two of Raspberries most kick-ass rockers. One on Side 1, the other on Side 2.

So, which tune makes it impossible for you to keep your hands on your wheel when driving..."Tonight" or "Ecstasy"?

Okay...so this is a tough one. "Tonight" has the rip-roaringest Wally Bryson guitar wizardry of any Raspberries tunes bar none while "Ecstasy" features Jim "Banshee" Bonfanti simply demolishing his drumset in an unabashed demonstration of why he's one of the greatest rock drummers of all time! So, how did I pick "Tonight" you might ask? Simple. I flipped a coin. A true 50/50 on this Showdown. Impossible for me to choose. How did you vote? --Bernie

I like "Tonight" better as a song, but Jim's drumming is really good on "Ectasy".

Bernie, I hope you weren't taking a swipe at Dave Smalley's "Should I Wait"...that's a really good song, and compared to a lot of Rasberries lyrics (admittedly they were all young lust-filled guys back then) actually shows some sensitivity towards the woman Dave's singing about.

And let's not forget Wally's "Last Dance", another under-rated tune.

I tried to vote for both of them, but didn't vote because I had to choose one. I didn't have a coin with me at the computer, Bernie, so...I just have to say this one is truly impossible. Love them both. They are absolutely equal.

Sorry, but, when it comes to Eric's music, especially these two -- cannot choose just one.

--Darlene

"Ecstacy" is my second most favorite Raspberries tune just behind GATW. I wish they would have done more of this kind of hard-edged pop rock. "Tonight" is a close third for me. Though I agree that Side 3 exposes the different paths the members were taking musically, it is my favorite album among the four.