Heaven Can Wait - coincidence?

seattlesteve

What's the deal in the 1977-78 time frame with He aven Can Wait?

1977 Heaven Can Wait, Meat Loaf (Bat out of Hell)

1978 Heaven Can Wait, Eric Carmen (Change of Heart)

1978 Heaven Can Wait, Warren Beatty, movie

The movie was a remake of Here Come's Mr. Jordan and renamed in the update.

Curious if anyone knows if any songs were submitted to Beatty for consideration, or if Beatty was inspired by a song title, or, the most likely, everything completely unrelated.

Eric's would have been perfect.

(Trivia: McCartney submitted "Did We Meet Somewhere Before" and Beatty turned it down. It appeared next year in Rock and Roll High School. Wow McCartney writes a custom song for your movie and you turn it down?? Beatty must have been feeling pretty cocky in those days)

Here's the soundtrack listing, looks like he really didn't go with any pop theme song. Can't believe if he heard Eric's he wouldn't use it.

"Sonata No 3"

by Georg Friedrich Händel

Musician: saxophone Paul Brodie

Musician: piano Antonin Kubalek

Courtesy of Golden Crest Records

"The Rams Marching Song"

by John T. Boudreau

"Entry Of The Gladiators"

by Julius Fucik

"Happy Birthday to You"

by Mildred J. Hill Patty S. Hill

"Ciribiribin"

Music by A. Pestalozza (as Albert Pestalozza)

Lyrics by Rudolf Thaler

Could be an after-market edit.

Remember the movie Heroes with Henry Winkler and Sally Fields? The final dramatic climax of the movie ended with Carry On My Wayward Son, and, I'm tellin' ya, the song never meant so much before. It fit perfectly with the movie.

Then I saw it on TV and they put some cheesy acoustic song in its place and totally ruined the movie.

Could be an after-market edit.

Remember the movie Heroes with Henry Winkler and Sally Fields? The final dramatic climax of the movie ended with Carry On My Wayward Son, and, I'm tellin' ya, the song never meant so much before. It fit perfectly with the movie.

Then I saw it on TV and they put some cheesy acoustic song in its place and totally ruined the movie.

This is actually pretty common. With the advent of TV and home video it's more difficult to license songs for films. For example, Badfinger's "No Matter What" was in the theatrical version of 'Wayne's World" but Apple wouldn't license it for use on video/DVD or TV so it was replaced with a different song. "Heavy Metal" was tied up for years before they got all the clearances to release it for home video.