What EC fans listen to?

aggiesjc

Ellece, you and I have this in common, too! I'm a freelance writer on assignment with three different publications. The line in Hungry Eyes that says, "I feel the magic between you and I" has always bothered me. I know Eric didn't write that song, and I also realize that such things often pop up in songs to make the lines rhyme, but it does catch my attention every time I hear it.

Hello

I just want to tell you about one other singer I really enjoy- Peter Beckett. Remember the Player song, BABY COME BACK? Well, that's him singing it. He was Player's lead singer and also wrote many of their songs. BABY COME BACK is the only Player song that I can remember the radio playing. But I bought their BEST OF CD and was very impressed.

I later found out that Beckett has a solo CD and 2 CDs with a band called THINK OUT LOUD, which is him and Steve Kipner. I now have all 3 of those CDs in additon to the Player hits. I think all of those CDs are realy strong; they contain a nice mix of piano-based and guitar-heavy songs. And Beckett is a great vocalist for a nice ballad or a fast rocker. Too bad These 3 CDs are extremely difficult to find- even on ebay. I feel lucky I was able to find all 3- though it did take some time.

I think anybody who likes Carmen would also like Beckett, and vice versa. They're similar enough in style, and both are terrific, way underrated (in Beckett's case pretty much forgotten about)talents.

Anyway, some others I like would include Peter Cetera, Christopher Cross, Air Supply, Joshua Kadison (anyone know who he is?), Bryan Adams, Elton John and Bill Champlin.

Good day to all Carmen fans!

Jeff J.

Jeff I bought the "Think Out Loud" album on vinyl years ago when it was first released solely on the credentials of Peter Beckett and Steve Kipner. Player's "Baby Come Back", was a great song even if it was a bit of a rip-off of Hall & Oates' "She's Gone." In any case, Beckett I knew from Player, while Kipner had co-written a number of songs for Chicago in the 1980's. I might add that Player also hit the Top 20 Singles charts with "This Time I'm In It For Love", and their other main singer was Ron Moss who has spent the last few years on the soap, "The Bold & the Beautiful."

MARVIN

I think someone else mentioned Joshua Kadison on an earlier page under this topic...

That would be me who made mention of the wonderfully talented (and very cute, hee) Joshua Kadison! Until quite recently, Joshua had a website, but now every time I search for it, it appears to be gone. frown I get the idea that he has taken a break from the music world, but hopefully one day he will return. He is the only other artist besides our Eric whose music and lyrics invariably move me to tears, even on the happiest of days. His songs that charted are all wonderful, but IMHO some of his best work appeared on albums he released on smaller labels and sold through his website. Check him out; you won't be disappointed! happy

Hi Marvin

I think that's very interesting that you have a THINK OUT LOUD album. Is that the one with STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED and AFTER ALL THIS TIME? I like those songs, but I really like thier 2nd album more. It has CASTLES ON QUICKSAND, WAY BEYOND MY REACH, FROM WHERE I STAND, JUST LIKE THAT, and several other good ones. Then there's Beckett's solo album, which may be a little harder rock than Player or Think Out Loud. It is also really strong.

I think it's just a crime that more people don't know about Beckett- and Carmen, too!

Jeff J.

So, Gina, does the new Journey lead singer really sound a lot like Steve Perry, as I've heard he does? Perry had a very distinctive quality and it's hard to imagine they could have found someone who approaches that, but I've heard from friends who have seen them that the new guy is very similar sounding.

Thanks for the information on the song "Fly" by John Waite. A good song. I don't have the CD but i'm trying to save my money for a brand new CD recorder from Denon that I saw at the Listening Room in Saginaw, Michigan. It costs around $649-$699. Hopefully, by the first or second week of December, i'll save enough to get the CD recorder. It's those darn DVD's that are coming out & it's going to take time. I just bought my last DVD today called "Home Alone 3" from 1997 & Darlene or anybody who wrote to me about actor Lenny Von Dohlen, I first rented & watched it on VHS & then bought the DVD today. Not to mention Subway because I like those turkey, steak & cheese & roasted chicken footlong sandwiches that is costing me a whole lot. I'll stick to Taco Bell because it's cheaper. Matt

Hi Tony

You might remember Joshua Kadsion's songs BEAUTIFUL IN MY EYES, JESSIE and PICTURE POSTCARDS FROM L.A. off his first album, PAINTED DESERT SERENADE. He also has a new album, VANISHING AMERICA, which I just love. Some songs on it include SHINE, CAROLINA'S EYES, BEGGING FOR GRACE, MOLLY IN THE MIRROR and I BELIEVE IN YOU. I think it's even better than the first album. He does mostly piano-based soft rock, including some love songs and inspirational songs. Eric Carmen may be the master of sappy romantic love songs, but Kadison is not far behind. He plays the piano and writes all his own songs, and also wrote at least one book, "17 ways to eat a mango".

Just letting you know

Jeff J.

Now Ellece has me intrigued about this Joshua Kadison guy. Does he write sappy romantic love songs as good as Eric does?

Tony, Joshua Kadison writes wonderfully sappy romantic loves songs. wink He also specializes in "story" songs.. songs that tell mini stories, with characters, a plot, the whole bit. Jeff is correct, Eric is the master of the sappy love song, but Joshua can definitely make you say, "Wow, what a song..." too. Joshua and Eric appeal to me for the same reasons... they are both SUCH talented lyricists, they both play the piano exceptionally well, and their basic musical style is similar, but their voices are pretty different. Where Eric's voice is more tenor, Joshua's voice leans towards a baritone. I have never heard Eric's speaking voice, but Joshua's speaking voice and singing voice sound the same, if that makes sense.

Oh, Jeff, wasn't "Seventeen Ways to Eat A Mango" such a fun book to read? I hope he'll publish another book soon! Do you have "Saturday Night in Storyville"? At one time, it was only available through his website, and it's my favorite next to "Painted Desert Serenade."

If you like Eric, I do think Eric fans would find Joshua appealing as well. spin

Jeff, my favourite song on the Think Out Loud album was "Faithful Love." Funny thing is, I actually put that album on the turntable a couple of weeks ago. I'd bet that you and I are the only two people who own a copy of that record.

Seattle Steve, Paper Lace was a band out of Nottingham,England, and Peter Beckett was not one of their members. I actually have their "Night Chicago Died" album, and it also featured the original version of "Billy Don't Be A Hero" -- later made into a #1 hit by Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods.

One thing that this forum has made me realize is that I own a lot of obscure records in my collection!

MARVIN

Marvin: There was a song back in 1972 called "Love Me, Love Me Love" by Canadian singer but piano instrumentalist Frank Mills. I heard the mono version of the song. Was there an album which contain the stereo version of the song? I downloaded the song on Napster back then but it was the mono version. My mom bought me the 45 version which the song "Windsong" was the flip side on Sunflower/MGM Records. On the Billboard charts, the song went to # 46 on the Hot 100 & # 8 on the Adult Contemporary Charts. Frank also did a remake of the Rick Nelson's "Poor Little Fool" that same year which went to # 105 on the Billboard Bubbling Under Charts. I heard the remake of the "Love Me, Love Me Love" song when Frank did a CD back in 1995 or 1996. Thanks, Matt

Matt, I'm not sure about mono/stereo versions of Frank Mills' music. His claim to fame other than "Love Me Love Me Love", is an instrumental titled "Music Box Dancer." The song was huge in many parts of the world in the early 1970's. It made Frank a rich, rich man. Rich enough that he currently resides in some isolated Caribbean island!

MARVIN