What EC fans listen to?

aggiesjc

My top 15 "other Artists" artists:(no particular order)

1. Beach Boys/Brian Wilson

2. Jackson Browne

3. Bee Gees

4. The Strawbs

5. Bay City Rollers

6. Steely Dan

7. April Wine

8. Styx

9. Elton John

10. David Cassidy/Partridge Family

11. Blue Rodeo

12. Blue Rodeo

13. Ginette Reno

14. Elvis

15. Beatles

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to see what other EC aficionados listen to. Also great to see Kyle Vincent's name popping up (check out his 1980s power-pop/hair band Candy -- produced by Jimmy Ienner w/ an assist from Raspberries guitarist Wally Bryson). I'll throw out a few more names that Tommy and I cannot -- and do not -- live without -- all of whom have released 'desert island' records: Big Star, Dwight Twilley, Artful Dodger (riveting live, w/ one of the most charismatic, talented lead singers ever in Billy Paliselli), Badfinger (naturally), NY Dolls (I remember seeing David Johansen at one of the Raspberries' Bottom Line gigs in December '74), Scruffs, the Pernice Bros (do check out the recent "Til the World Ends" -- absolutely stunning; Eric: if you're reading this, and have not already done so, you should listen to these guys), Chamber Strings, Pezband. The list can go on.

Keep it going, y'all!

Bob A.

Syracuse

...Forgot to add Pagliaro from Montreal. He has a small collection of English tunes (most of his stuff is in French)and cracked the Billboard 100 in 1971 w/ "Some Sing, Some Dance." "Lovin You 'Aint Easy" was a follow-up and a Canadian hit. They (and a handful of other Pag tunes) can be found 'out there' and are both, in my view, classic pop tunes (they still sound as fresh today as they did three decades ago -- very 'British' sounding). I go now.

Bob A.

Syracuse, NY

Interesting that someone finally listed Simon & Garfunkel (that's you LostControl!). I just heard "The Boxer" (is that the title?) the other day and remembered how much I enjoy their songs. Also, Bahoodore, I think it's cool that you listed the Partridge Family! I grew up with an older sister who had their albums and I love many of those songs! Does anyone know who the real talents are behind the Partridge Family music? Who wrote those songs, or was it a collection of many writers?

I remember my brother Mark got me a 8-track tape of David Cassidy's "Rock Me Baby" back in Christmas of 1972 & I played it & Ampex who made those 8-track tapes back then sounded like it had a farting noise. I was wondering if any of you know if any used record store has "Presenting The Sugar Bears" by the Sugar Bears who had a song called "You Are The One" from 1972 which peaked at #51 on the Billboard Hot 100 Chart (Kim Carnes was Honey Bear), David Cassidy "Live" (from 1974) & a duo called Myles & Lenny who had a big Canada hit song called "Can You Give It All To Me" which sounds like Kansas, Paper Lace "The Night Chicago Died" & Quarterflash's "Find Another Fool". I have not seen any of those albums at any used record store & it is hard to find. One of my friends from Elder-Beerman is trying to get me some CD's at Hamilton, Ontario that include The Stampeders "Carryin' On" from 1972 which had a song called "Wild Eyes" (the AM station WTAC in Flint, Michigan played it way back when which never charted) & "Rubes, Dudes & Rowdies" also from 1972. Those both CD's are only available in Canada or on the internet. Matt

Hey some interesting Canadian pop music turning up here like Michel Pagliaro (the king of Canadian Pop) whose early 1970's hit "Lovin' You Ain't So Easy" is a classic; the Stampeders (their big hit was from 1972 "Sweet City Woman"), April Wine, Myles & Lenny - woah there's a blast from the past, and I think I even read someone mention Gary & Dave ("Could You Ever Love Me Again"). Believe it guys and girls, there's more than just good hockey players that come out of this country!

And for those who wanted to know, JD Souther is a very under-appreciated singer. He's released four solo albums, but except for the top 10 single "You're Only Lonely", most of his success has come as a songwriter. He's co-written many of the Eagles songs (including "New Kid In Town" and "Heartache Tonight") and some of Don Henley's solo stuff ("Heart of the Matter"). If you like country-rock and like the Eagles, and if you can find JD's solo work, pick it up.

Marvin

Matthew, I've got a copy of the Quarterflash album on vinyl, somewhere in those boxes in my closet. Haven't seen it on CD anywhere, either...

Those guys could have gone further than they did, but they were really slow in getting their second album out...which kind of killed the momentum.

Rindy Ross(lead singer)got kind of a bum rap for being a Pat Benatar clone. She's got a great voice, and like Benatar, she is an expert in a totally different field; Benatar's is opera, while Ross's is lounge jazz and big band music.

Saw them live a long time ago. They were really a tight band, but with a limited amount of material.

The song "Take Another Picture" was really cool live -- this was the encore, and it might have even been the first time they ever did it live.

Also, the original version of "Harden My Heart" was radically different than the major label release. Although I have not heard it, I did hear that it was more of a jazz lounge song. The band's originally name was "Seafood Mama", as they played the fish restaurant circuit up here in Seattle.

As far as I know, it was only available as a independently released 45rpm single, and a pricey collector's item.

aggiesjc, It's great to see another S&G fan out there!

I started listening to Simon and Garfunkel when I was 11 -- long past the time they were popular. Even my dad teased me, telling me to listen to more 'popular' music, and not old hippy music (this was the '80's). I must have really loved their music, to take all the taunting and still listen openly to it. I converted a few people to their music over time.

I started listening to EC in 1989, when I worked at the hosptial and our director loved "All By Myself" and played it all the time. I liked it, so searched for other EC stuff. I have virtually the whole collection on vinyl, but no turntable. I'm just now starting to replace them with CDs.

I've only had the pleasure of seeing Paul Simon live in concert once -- when we lived in Edmonton. We were in the last row, and he was a tiny figure on the stage in an orange shirt. Apparently I have good taste in performers -- he filled a 50 000 seat arena. I'm sure EC could do the same -- it certainly appears so from all the posts here!

Michelle

Be proud, LostControl, that you can stick up for your taste in music, even when it's not considered "stylish." I could do better on that front myself, but usually wilt under teasing! I've had a taste in oldies and some offbeat stuff over the years, and should learn to proudly rip off my headphones and let the world hear what I like to listen to. I'm braver in my car, and occasionally roll the windows down ... smile

The Partridge Family/David Cassidy was a combination of great song writers, awesome session players and David Cassidy's fine and underrated vocals. Most of the songs were written by California producer writers like Wes Farrell. From memory, the impressive musicians and vocalsists are:

Kim Carnes - backvcls

Michael MacDonald (Doobie Bros)

Ronnie Tutt (Elvis)

Jim Gordon (Everybody)

Larry Knetchel (Bread and everybody)

Jim Horn (Everybody)

Tommy Todesco (Everybody)

Larry Carleton (Everybody)

Hal Blaine (Everybody)

Michael Omaritian (spelling??)

Carl Wilson, Ricky Fataar, Bruce Johnson

The list goes on and on.....just look at musician credits on any hit solo artist album between 66 and 77 and you will find most of them played on a Partridge Family/David Cassidy album....

Bob Allen-- Great list! I actually saw the Pezband play at a mall in New Jersey back in the day! The lead singer (forgot his name, but remember it was a woman's name?!?) did an even better Lennon than Scott McCarl. "Baby It's Cold Outside," "Stop Wait A Minute"... did any Indie label ever release this great powerpop on CD? --Bernie

Bowie, Hunter, Mick Ronson, Queen, Elton, Joel, LOVE Jellyfish, Zep, 70's hits when they used to have actual melodies to there music unlike the crap the record companies are pushing today. They all sound the same. Nothing is unique out there now. All the bands go for whatever the latest flavor is. As Billy Joel said "can't sing can't write can't play you're our man givem a recording contract" :P Stu

Yes, it's sad to say, but truly talented artists are few and far between these days. With the 'manufactured' bands these days -- it's more about image and less about good quality writing (think Britney, N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, etc, etc.). And rap... don't even get me started on that! Swearing and talking about killing cops and raping your mother is not music as far as I'm concerned.

Has Eric ever recently thought of others releasing more of his material? I heard 'All By Myself' last night driving home from Quebec by Celene Dion. Yikes. I liked the Carmen version much better, but at least it gets his music to a wide audience who might then start listening to HIS stuff.

Michelle

I had picked up "Frampton Comes Alive II" a while back, on a close-out. Not even close to being as good as the first one, but some of the stuff grows on you.

Frampton still can play really well, and he has proven that he can be capable of blues and jazz, as well as rock, upon hearing the licks.

The only familiar song is "I'm In You". Otherwise "new" stuff from the 80s.

Songwriting is OK, but not strong. Not much that can be called "memorable". Still, it's a breath of fresh air showing REAL talent, compared to the crap that's on the radio.

Billy K.: I do have that "Frampton Comes Alive 2" but the video & CD I'm not sure are no longer made but I do have the VHS tape. I'm also getting the DVD of "Live From Detroit" (DTE Energy Music Theatre). I do have "Harden My Heart: The Best Of Quarterflash" & a must have. I don't have their debut from 1981. Most of my VHS concert tapes are now available on DVD. Why I bought those concerts on VHS back then I don't know. I should had waited till the DVD came out. Matt

Marvin from Canada: The song "Sweet City Woman" by the Stampeders peaked at #8 on the Billboard Top Hot 100 Chart & #5 on the Adult Contemporary Chart back in 1971 not 1972. The album "Sweet City Woman" (Against The Grain) peaked at #172 on the Billboard Top 200 Pop Albums Chart. The Stampeders also had "Devil You" peaking at #61 (Hot 100) back in 1972, "Oh My Lady" peaking at #115 (Billboard Bubbling Under The Single Charts) back in 1973 & the remake of the Ray Charles 1961 #1 hit, "Hit The Road Jack" (with the late Wolfman Jack) peaking at #40 (Hot 100) back in 1976 & that is it on the U.S. charts. There was a country group who did the remake of "Sweet City Woman" back in 1980 or 1981 but i'm not sure who did the remake. The duo Myles & Lenny did not hit the charts at all in the U.S.. Michel Pagino did not hit the Billboard Hot 100 Chart at all either. Matt

I always thought David Cassidy was pretty underated as a singer. He did have some big names play on his records and I can remember there was talk of a David Cassidy /David Bowie project in the works in the late 70's, that never worked out. I also think there was a David Cassidy concert in Aust. where Elton John played the keyboards for David's whole show.

Ron

Matthew, the Stampeders were quite big in Canada in the early 1970's. "Sweet City Woman" was one of the first 45's my dad ever bought. Believe it or not, the orginal three members still tour in western Canada.

In regard to Michel Pagliaro or "Pag" as he is affectionately called in his home province of Quebec, he was much more popular in Quebec than in any other province in Canada, and I know he had no U.S. success. His biggest English song, "Loving You Ain't So Easy", is pure Pop music and still gets played to this date, almost 30 years after it's initial release. His biggest French song, "J'entends Frapper", is almost a francophone anthem. In the 1970's every bar band in Quebec made it a point to learn this song. After many years out of the music scene, he's recently begun playing again.

Marvin

Marvin from Canada: I heard the song "Lovin' You Ain't Easy" on a station called Classic Gold 630 AM CFCO in Chatham, Ontario. (Where Chatham-Kent Gets It's News & Information) They also play "What The Hell I've Got" as well. They don't play the hard rock songs though. I can still hear that station from Sanford, Michigan when i'm driving in my car to up north in West Branch, Michigan because I think the radio station probably has a big antenna. I was there talking to one of the staff members of CFCO & I got a sticker, a mug & a X-Large T-shirt when I was down there in August of last year. I would like to know who did the song "Hello, Have You Seen Her"? Matt

Pezband singers name is Mimi Betinis...He is great...Most of the Pezband members went on to form Black on Blond and Off Broadway...Those are two other great bands...Twilley, Badfinger(Joey Molland's new CD is great)< Dolls, Neal Smith/Dennis Dunaway and the Flying Tigers...T.Rex...Cheap Trick...Tommy Hoehn, who at times sounds like a deadringer for Carmen,...Hudson Bro...Joan Jett...John Waite...

Marvin: I heard the song on CFCO & it is either a Canadian group or a singer who sings "Hello, Have You Seen Her". I went to www.canoe.ca/jam for the Pop Encyclopedia & I am too chicken to write to the staff at Canoe. There is an artist who is not on the Canadian Pop Encyclopedia. His name is Tom Middleton. He had a remake of the Todd Rundgren song "It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference" & "One Night Lovers" back in 1974. It seems that Canada has not reissued The Bells "Fly Little White Dove Fly" from 1971 or Myles & Lenny album from 1974 on CD as of yet. When I went to Napster to rip off songs & put it on CD, sone of the Canadian artists including Abraham's Children who had a song called "Gypsy" (which peaked at # 119 on the Billboard Bubbling Under Singles Charts) & the song is on vinyl & "Goodbye, Farewell" which is in mono sound & i'm not sure if that song was on CD or vinyl. Thanks, Matt