What EC fans listen to?

aggiesjc

Oh, yes, I forgot to tell you what I have been listening to......actually mostly the radio....

been moving from San Francisco to the Seattle area.....strange and curious time for me.

Some of my stuff is still in storage right now. Have about half my LP's here, but my turntable is in storage, and my CD player is out of commission.

The fortunate thing is that Seattle's radio stations are not as screwed up by the corporate mentality the way it is in SF and other major cities. Sad to say, due to recent station format changes in SF, the Bay Area is without a true Top 40 Station, and also without a country station, as well.

Thank goodness, I am in Seattle where things are better, radio-wise. Some great local stuff on the airwaves. Plus the "classic rock" and "oldies" stations' playlists are not as narrow.

Yesterday, I heard Mark Lindsay's(solo release from Paul Revere/Raiders lead vocalist)"Arizona" on the air, for the first time in years. Same for some other old songs, which would never get played with the current politics at most big-market stations.

So, there's hope of hearing some 'berries here.

But I have been listening to a few cassettes I brought up......Sheena Easton, a compilation of hits from Russia, Lenny's Lunatics, Eric Clapton.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy K.: Jim Peterik is the keyboardist for the group "Survivor" but he does sing on one track on the first album from 1979. He is also the lead singer & songwriter for "The Ides Of March" (Blood, Sweat & Tears wannabes) & he is touring with them. I am not sure when the Ides are coming to the Bay City, Michigan Pig Gig Festival either this year or the next year. Gina (Hungry Eyes) can give you more information about Jim. Matt

Billy K, Seattle radio sounds so refreshing! I love "Arizona," and much like SF, you simply won't hear it in Sacramento. I remember a mid-90s trip to Lexington, KY, when I flipped on the radio and heard The Sweet's "Fox on the Run," for the first time since I was in elementary school in the 70s. It blew my mind that some stations actually keep such oldies around, and give their listeners some variety. What a shame that around here my favorite songs of all times seem to disappear in a barrage of current songs (if the bulk of what's current can even be called songs - more like irritating noise!).

Aggiesjc, haven't heard "Fox on the Run", in a while either. It's one of those tunes the classic rock stations as well as the oldies stations ignore.

The problem with the corporate mentality, as far as oldies stations -- well, same 30 Motown songs, about 1/4 of the Beatles catalog, 10 to 12 each by the Beach Boys and Stones, and a bunch of one-hit wonders...Although Jimi Hendrix had a couple of Top 40 hits, they figure that it is the domain of the hard rock stations. And you'd be hard-pressed to hear a Petula Clark song OTHER than "Downtown". Oh, yes, where are the Bay City Rollers, Helen Reddy and Runaways tunes? All were a part of Top 40 at one time...but you get my drift...lots of missing stuff...

Actually, to be honest with you, there are places with even better radio stations than Seattle. I really enjoyed my drive while moving -- the section between Redding and Portland is actually better than what's above or below it...

Matthew, thanks for the info...didn't know that Peterik was part of the Ides of March.

I didn't know that Gin Blossoms made that comment about Raspberries. I was in Sam Goody's one day and I heard a very intriguing album playing. When I asked the cashier what it was, he said "Gin Blossoms." It sounded so reminiscent of Raspberries that I bought the CD then and there.

It was their first, which is very strong. Given their comment about Raspberries, NO WONDER I LIKED IT!!! --Darlene

Have to put my 2cents here. Not necessarily in this order but: Beatles, Bee Gees, Badfinger, Yes, Jon Anderson, Cairo, Zappa, 10cc, Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd, Beach Boys and loads of oldies comps and country as well.

Just discovered the board and I'm glad to see there's still an enthusiastic Eric Carmen fan base out there.

In no order whatsoever, off the top of my head, here are some artists I love in addition to EC and the Raspberries:

Beach Boys (not the current touring incarnation, but the Brian Wilson days), America, Three Dog Night, The Guess Who, Indigo Girls, Joe Jackson, Shawn Colvin, Steely Dan, Eric Clapton, Buffalo Springfield, U2, REM.

Lifetime "essential albums" definitely include Boats Against the Current and Pet Sounds.

Cairo is a prog rock type of band whose sound is likened to ELP and YES. A band that does remain unique in style and creativity. If one likes the music of YES, Cairo is the next best thing. Although Anderson's lofty vocals and Squire's hammering treble bass registers aren't present, the band makes up for it with anything but ordinary writing and performing skills. Only 3 albums to their credit, but they are great. For serious listeners only. Bye for now: Gary K.

Besides Carmen's solo CD's, I think my other top 3 all time albums are:

1. BeeGees "Main Course" 1975 - The Brothers Gibb were at the top of their game with great songwriting, harmonies and Arif Mardin's arrangement guidance. And with only a little of that annoying falsetto lead.

2. Kenny Loggins "Greatist Hits" 1997 - No fair being a greatist hits CD, but this guy has one of the purest voices ever in pop music. (as well as the biggest ears) He can also co-write a catchy

tune.

3. Chris De Burgh "Quiet Revolution" 1999 - The "Lady In Red" man's other CD's are just so-so, but this 15 song CD is loaded with quality romantic, spiritual and classic pop songs that come close to Eric's best albums. The variety and quality of songs remind me of Carmen's 1975 and 1984 releases.

Give these babies a listen and enrich your life a little more.

To update my original message, I recently spent a small fortune on Lindsey Buckingham's latest "unreleased" album Gift of Screws on Ebay, and am pleased overall. Some of the songs have that soaring pop quality that I appreciate so much from him, yet a few also get a little too "experimental" for my taste, as he's also apt to do. To reiterate my original advice, though - his 1992 "Out of the Cradle" is STELLAR, meeting and exceeding some of Fleetwood Mac's best, and won't disappoint!

Have to confess to only owning that one album and hearing his radio stuff (and seeing him live at the Greek Theatre about '76). Was hoping to hear from someone who might know his music better than me, 'cause I've liked what I've heard. Kirk.

Off the top of my head, these are some albums that I have to have with me all the time. In no particular order:

1. Main Course - the Bee Gees

2. Pet Sounds - the Beach Boys

3. Running On Empty - Jackson Browne

4. Starting Over - the Raspberries

5. Darkness On the Edge of Town - Bruce Springsteen

6. Hotel California - the Eagles

7. Counting Crows - August & Everything After

8. Venice - Spin Art

By the way, I had no idea that Lindsey Buckingham's new cd had finally been released.

Marvin

Hi, Marvin - it hasn't been officially released, and can't be found in stores. However, I've seen a couple on Ebay, and won one at a price that still makes me cringe a little. Been waiting for a few years, so in the heat of bidding, price didn't stop me. Includes a studio version of Bleed to Love Her, and 15 others.

My favorite album from 1978 would have to be 10CC "Bloody Tourists". It is also one of my favorites from 10CC. It sounds almost like "The Alan Parsons Project" on some of the tracks like "For You And I" & "Old Mister Time". My favorite track is called "The Anonymous Alcoholic". They gave that album ** out of ***** stars on the Rolling Stone Record Guide but who cares. I was about to get "Mirror, Mirror" (their comeback CD) that came out in 1995 but it is no longer made & out of print. I think Paul McCartney appears on one track. They probably have it at E-Bay but my mom won't let me pay on the internet. I'll guess i'll try & find that CD at a used record store at Ann Arbor or in Flint, Michigan. Matt

Matthew C., check for it on Ebay. Many sellers give winning bidders several payment options, including checks, money orders, and electronic funds transfer. I've been at it for a year and a half, with hundreds of transactions, and have yet to be stung by a seller (knock on wood smile . Ebay's probably the fastest, most convenient way of obtaining that title.

10cc was without a doubt, one of the most inovative bands ever. Although I was brought up with the Beatles...day and night...in many ways 10cc were as creative as the lads were. Problem is they were through in this country almost as soon as they started. Blame that on AR and all the rest of the alphabet soup of the record companies. Their biggest hit, "I'm Not In Love" showed almost none of their talent. In fact the FM classic "Art For Art's Sake" showed more of their hidden resources than any of their few radio hits.

Along the commercial lines were "The Things We Do For Love" and "People In Love". But the true talents of this band were contained in the other songs on their albums and the albums that never got heard in this country. The reunion album "...meanwhile" met with mixed reviews as the production was killed by ex Steely Dan producers and the lack of actual active participation by all the members. All 4 of the lads were never in the studio at the same time during the recording process. Tapes were shipped from here to there and the individual members put together their parts, never knowing what the finished procuct would be. The irony is that though the album was recorded in upstate NY, it was never released in this country.

Unlike Eric's material that has been reissued to some degree, most of the 10cc catalogue remains out of print...probably forever. I did like "Mirror Mirror" however even though only Stewart was the key to most of the songs. Again, the sessions were recorded on the go so to speak but the album fared better than did "...meanwhile". Though I own the entire collection as well as the solo's, my fav's would have to be: "How Dare You" "Ten Out Of 10" "Windows In The Jungle" and "Look Hear". Graham's soundtrack of "Animalympics" was incredible too. WHEW...long winded as usual. Bye for now: Gary K.