The Midnight Special

Raspbernie

I wonder if they're going to include the show with K.C. (of Sunshine Band fame) introducing "that exciting new singing sensation", Andy Kaufman, who proceeded to belt out his latest "hit", called "I Trusted You." The song consisted of a drummer, bassist and guitarist belting out a monotonous riff for about 3 minutes, with Andy singing the title over and over and over and over and over and over...etc. (including going down on one knee and going out in the crowd). After he presumably ended the song and left the stage, Wolfman Jack brought him back for an encore - another couple of minutes of singing "I trusted you, I trusted you, and I trusted you and....."....ad nauseum. Truly one of the most bizarre moments in television history! (and maybe one of the funniest, depending on your view of Mr. Kaufman.)

wow, I remember that long intro also. I seem to remember a lot of bands lip syncing on that show. I also remember seeing a few videos, one from Peter Gabriel, another from Roger Daltry. I don't remember seeing the Raspberries on there, but I do remember seeing Cheap Trick. MTV spelled the end of the Midnight Special.

At the beginning of the taping of Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, the announcer would go out on stage and say "In coming weeks, we're going to have The Rolling Stones...." and the crowd of 16 year old stoners from Long Beach would wave their arms wildly and cheer, and while this was happening, the camera crew would be filming the audience reaction. Then the announcer would do it again..."and next week, right on this stage, we're gonna have The Who....."and the crowd would go wild and the camera crew would film. Then he'd say" and tonight we've got Donovan......" (booing from the audience) and Raspberries...(modest applause from the crowd.) Later,when you watched it on TV, they'd announce Donovan and cut to the clip of the crowd going wild because the Stones were coming. Then they'd announce Raspberries and you'd see the crowd responding to the Who in two weeks. It was pretty funny. We actually were on the show with Donovan once. He was sitting onstage with his acoustic guitar playing "Catch The Wind" and literally HALF of the audience got up and walked out. I felt so bad for him, and I also thought "what a bunch of clods." If Black Sabbath had been next, they'd have all been in heaven. Ah, memories. ec

Speaking of "Midnight Special" I always liked every Johnny Rivers song-but I'd never seen him live,and I heard he made quite a splash at the"Whiskey-a -Go-Go (?)-" way back when. Has anyone ever seen him live ? Is he real good ? I love "Summer Rain":

"All summer long,

We spent grooving in the sand.

And the Juke box kept on playing,

Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Good stuff-nice warm vocal-I think-Ira. (Sorry -but this tangent just hit me.)

I remember seeing Eric on the Midnight Special performing "She did it". I thought "ah, now it'll be a smash hit!" alas it was not to be because of Clive Davis' lack of promomtion. I was so mad, this 16 year old (at the time) sent off a nasty letter to Mr Davis chastising him for not promoting Eric. Of course, I never got a response and it was the only time I ever did something like that...

Jeff

Ah, it's so great to hear that other people besides me were chastising Clive and CAM for non-support of Raspberries or Eric. There must be a lot of people out there who wrote record companies, etc., considering how many of us still place Razz and EC offerings to the FRONT of the bins in music stores and write on the dividers.

This could be a whole new thread... haha

I too got VERY excited seeing Raspberries or Eric on Midnight Special or Don Kirschner (or ANY program, actually). Those were exciting times, too, but I don't think we've seen *anything* yet!

smile --Darlene

" There must be a lot of people out there who wrote record companies, etc., considering how many of us still place Razz and EC offerings to the FRONT of the bins in music stores and write on the dividers."

OMG, I thought I was the only one who did that... smile

I remember seeing Eric solo on that show, but don't recall Raspberries. I'd love to see that, and have both of them for my continued pleasure.

Hopefully somebody will buy the set, copy it for their own use and then sell the individual discs on eBay, like they do those TimeLife sets! I'm not sure I'd enjoy Donovan... but I do recall enjoying Jim Croce's performance shortly before his tragic death...

Seeing Raspberries on 'DK's Rock Concert' was a real gas for the Allen boys. But what about that New York Doll's performance from '73? It's floating around out there now and looks (and sounds) as vibrant today as it did all those years ago. They'd be huge today...or not. Bless the (original) Dolls.

"Bless the (original) Dolls."

Bob - Have you seen the DVD "All Dolled Up" yet? Great, great Dolls footage from the early to mid 70's......As to whether they'd be huge today or not - who knows? For one thing, the tranny look isn't quite as shocking now as it was back then...but a lot of people held that against them back then. I always felt that the early David Jo solo act/band should have been huge....God knows, they were a lot better live than the Stones at that point (I saw the two acts within the same week - one playing to a packed stadium, the other to 300 fans in a sweaty club...and the latter were much more entertaining AND better musically at that point!)