She Remembered

That is pretty scary Eric. I've only been involved for about 3 days in the studio

( Que, Queue or Cue studio ?? in Falls Chuch ,Va ) helping a band I once managed to record 8 songs -- And putting in my 2 cents of course (imagine that!). The whole thing is very interesting and involved.

Everything starts/builds off from the drum kit in an enclosure. Sometimes bad accidents happen &

sometimes good accidents happen.

Yes Eric, do tell. I imagine some wild stories

come out of these recording sessions --- be live or in studio. Did the final product only involve

one live track?? --- or a mix??

This is my second favorite song (Boats being #1). I am not a music expert but for me, it has the right melody and the words are so strong and beautiful, it really touches me everytime I listen to it. I have loaded it in my Ipod and, by changing "she" remembered to "he" remembered, I am back to my high school years and all those feelings are coming back again.... I guess everyone has lost an old flame!

Thank you Eric for such a beautiful song! heartpump

What I find incredibly impressive about many of EC's songs.....is the simple raw emotion and vulnerability in both lyric and vocal.

Songs like "I'm Through With Love", "Nowhere To Hide", "She Remembered" & "Someone That You Loved Before" show both strength and weakness in the male storyteller. Damn that's good when a composer can show that. (Probably a good thing when non-composers show that as well IMHO).

Speaking of vulnerability....I wonder Eric if you've written songs for your children? (I bet you have.....and probably have a tough time, like any loving father, remaining composed while singing them).

I've also read that "I Was Born To Love You" was sort of an effort of love to your wife (and Andy Goldmark's significant other).

Ain't emotion and vulnerability awesome?

Eric, I think one of the reasons you're such a good songwriter is because you're a good storyteller. You really have a way of making people want to listen to what you have to say. Songwriting, storytelling --- both are art forms that fill people. Certainly you see that people nowadays need "filling" more than ever before! happy

"She Remembered" has always been my absolute number one favorite. All the way. It's one perfect song. I'm so glad Bernie put it up and I'm even more thrilled that Eric realized how truly phenomenal it is. I had no idea, Eric, that you hadn't heard it in years. I think the bridge in "She Remembered" is the most beautiful ever written. And you know how much I love the last line...

The songs you mentioned, like "Nowhere to Hide" are amazing! You have to listen to them! If you do you'll be truly moved to keep writing!

What you're hearing is exactly what blew me away from the very first time I heard your music. I'm not surprised you never used a click track--the combination of a rigorous classical training and the kind of immense talent you have leaves no place for one and explains those beautifully expressive rubatos! And when musicians with your calibre of talent get together, they inspire each other. It sounds like you and Jeff Porcaro had such a collaboration! Thanks so much for sharing this with us! You made my night!

smile --Darlene

The very first day of recording for the Geffen album, I went to the studio and we'd hired a bass player and a drummer who were both fine musicians and we decided to start with "She Remembered." The producer asked me if I'd ever played electric piano and I replied that I had, but that the sound of the Fender Rhodes had never done much for me. He said he really wanted me to try it on "She Remembered" and I recall telling him that I wasn't too excited about the idea. To me, that electric piano sound conjured up "Green Eyed Lady" or "Brandy" not "She Remembered." It just doesn't have the same expressive quality that a grand piano has.

But, the producer persisted with his request, and, not wanting to make a big wave on the first day of recording, I reluctantly agreed to try it.

Well, we cut the track and basically, I loathed it. It had none of the emotion that the demo had and I absolutely HATED the electric piano on it. I think I may have said something like "having me play a Fender Rhodes is like handing Eric Clapton a banjo or something. It's just not my "thing."

Well, to make a long story short, the producer fell in love with the electric piano version and I kept suggesting that it would never work and that it would destroy my song and the more I voiced my dislike for "his" version, the more determined he seemed to make it work. At some point, I was so adamant about it, that I convinced him that we should call the studio in Beachwood, Ohio where I cut the demo (luckily, I used a reel of 24 track tape) and I begged him to have the demo flown out to L.A.

I suggested that since he really liked his version and I really loved the demo, we should cut the song BOTH ways, and decide later which one was best.

He reluctantly said "ok", and when the demo reel arrived, I asked him to book Jeff Porcaro ( my soulmate ) to play drums on it. I knew Jeff was my guy because I had hired him to overdub his drums on "Boats Against The Current" in the same fashion. On 'Boats" as on "She Remembered" Jeff played to only my piano and voice. I knew he could do it.

Well, Jeff came in and nailed it in four takes. Then I brought in Neil Steubenhouse to overdub the bass part, and at that point, there was no question that the "demo" was the track.

The producer, however, had other ideas. A string arranger was brought in to write a chart to the producer's version, and the chart had to be altered to fit my version. The producer was not very happy and thought I was wasting my time and wasting his budget.

On Monday morning I went to Geffen and played my mix for John and he said"You're right, your version IS better. Then he jokingly added "Maybe we should let you mix the rest of the album."

That mix, the one I did with Michael Waggener, is the one you hear today. Needless to say, the producer was not pleased with this turn of events, and our relationship suffered greatly as a result. The rest of the mixing was pretty unpleasant.

So there you have it. That's how my one take piano and voice demo from Beachwood Studios became the track on the Geffen album that I had to fight tooth and nail for. And the one that we all seem to love today. ec

Months later he mixed "his" version and raved about it to the Geffen A&R guy who had signed me. John (Kalodner) told me the producer was very keen on "his" version so I basicall told John to give me any competent engineer and one day of studio time and I promised to blow the producer's version out of the water.

John then set me up with this wonderful mad German named Michael Waggener ( see my myspace page) who produced Dokken and some really serious headbanger stuff and I drove to Redondo Beach one Saturday morning and we met and we mixed 'my" version over the course of the afternoon and evening.

I LOVED what Micheal did, and I just liked his way of doing things. He was very, very musical and I loved his eq approach and the reverbs we used and some of the really subtle touches he added.

I drove home from Redondo Beach that night feeling pretty darn happy.

This is a great thread that I'm just catching up to.... Thanks, Eric, for your insight....

I vividly remember hearing the Geffen CD when it first came out (gosh, could it be 22 years ago?). "She Remembered" stood out the most -- it was the one I had to keep playing over and over. It just hit me as being personal and honest, and the scene-setting imagery put it over the top.

Heck, who doesn't have a few ghosts and regrets and missed opportunities from H.S. and college days? Who hasn't wondered about a relationship that ended at 17 or 18 -- or before it even started? "She Remembered" says it all. An undiscovered classic -- and to know the "inside story" of the session is a treat.

(On a personal note: At the time, I was editing a music magazine, and after hearing the advance cassette of the Geffen album, I left a message with you, Eric, requesting an interview, not figuring anything would come of it, because our mag was fairly new. To my amazement, you were gracious enough to call within a day -- at my apartment, during an after-work gathering, no less. My girlfriend answered the phone and said, "Larry, it's for you. It's Eric Carmen..." Gulp! Hey, I was the magazine's editor, so I was trying to come off as a professional, but... I was a fan first.... The timing was perfect: My friends were going, "That was Eric Carmen? The singer? He called YOU?" I tell that story because it showed so much class on your part, Eric. So... all these years later, thanks!)

I'm w/ you Kiwi --- the singer has a vision and he/she knows what the feel should be like. I'm glad Eric resisted some of the producers craziness! Eric has proven himself time and time again.

Seems the producer should make suggestions and not try to dominate.

Good insight, Mr EC, thank you!

I popped the Geffen album into my CD player today on the way to work..."She Remembered" was always my 2nd favorite song on that album...."I'm Through With Love" is still the song that I can listen to over and over again!!!