Thundermug

Marvin or anyone: Go to: www.geocities.com/popfortyfive/thundermug.html & find out about the Canadian group Thundermug. Thundermug's "Africa" on Big Tree Records went to # 110 back in January of 1973 on the Billboard Bubbling Under The Hot 100 Singles Chart. Thundermug made a comeback CD back in 1994 called "Who's Running My World?" & contains the remake of "Africa". I do have the CD which I bought in Chatham, Ontario last year. The song "Africa" reminds me of Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk". Matt

Actually, there is a picture of the Hudson Brothers instead of Thundermug when you are reading the article. It seems that Thundermug was considered to be the loudest rock group besides Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin during the 70's. I actually saw the Hudson Brothers on Peter Marshall's Hollywood Squares when the Game Show network showed the reruns. There is also more articles on other pop/rock groups or singers at: www.geocities.com/popfortyfive including Blue Ash, Badfinger & a group called Pony among others. Matt

Yes Bernie many months ago I also posted about "So You Are A Star." Mark Hudson does an incredible Lennon sound-a-like. I don't know who the drummer is on the song, but his (her?) style is a complete knock-off of Ringo, making this song one of the best Beatles-sounding songs I've ever heard.

MARVIN

Even though you don't usually hear "So You Are A Star" on oldies stations, I think I might e-mail DJ J. Patrick (that's his name) who does the Cars Classic Lunch on WCRZ in Flint, Michigan at 12:00 till 1:00 Monday thru Friday except holidays. He usually does hard trivia Tuesday on which he picks songs that don't play that much. On Friday, it is first time Friday which means if you haven't been a winner in music trivia, you get lunch for two at a restaurant & a couple of movie passes on which he picks an easy song that hit the Billboard Top 10 from either the 50's, 60's or 70's. Matt

• 1 year later...

It's cool to see Thundermug getting props. Their first (?) single, "Orbit" came out in late '72 and was the closest competitor (that year) to "Go All The Way" as something that merged hard rock with a pop sense. Since they were a bunch of bearded Canadians and had your typical boogie/metal streaks going thru them, they didn't explore such stuff often. They did release a single called "I Wanna Be With You" which beared no resemblance to the 'Berries, though. "Orbit" remains their definitve power pop moment.