EC Solo Music In Raspberries Concert

Eric,

I was wondering if any discussions were made about you doing some of your solo material during the next Raspberries reunion with your fellow bandmates? Does Wally, Jim or Dave have any favorites of your solos music that they would consider doing live the next tour? Also any chance that Mike and Scott would join the band for the next tour they did contribute to one great album.

Cubfan,

I could be totally wrong about this, but I sense some degree of resentment by the other members of Raspberries to Eric's solo success. I think a solo segment would be an amazing addition to the show. Even the Eagles do hits from Joe Walsh and Don Henley when they play live. But I don't think you are going to see it happen. That's why I'm hoping intimate solo shows at small venues is Eric's next move... Just Eric and a Piano would be plenty enough for me. Maybe then we'd get to hear the slow version of Go All The Way!

I think you are right Brian...

It wouldn't be appropriate for the Raspberries to perform one band member's solo material and not the others. On the other hand, If Eric does a solo tour in the future - He can certainly perform any of the Raspberries songs that he penned.

Being a part time "Metal" music lover, an example would be the fact that all of the times I saw the original Black Sabbath they never played any of Ozzy's solo hits. But, I've seen Ozzy 12 times or so on his solo tours, and he always performs 2 or 3 Black Sabbath songs.

As to Scott and Mike - I could see them making a special appearence at maybe a show or 2, but you wouldn't have them tour with the band. The Overdubs rock!

Tim

Wouldn't do it, unless it was a business decision to market the tour. The Raspberries, despite their relatively brief tenure, has a long set list that still has people wanting more. Any time you add songs, the tougher decisons are what do you drop. They are in a zone right now, I'd keep it simple and all 'berries.

Eric's solo stuff would be better "all by himself" Tell me him and Burton Cummings touring ala Billy/Elton, with a storytellers angle, wouldn't be cool,and sell tickets. Obvious closing songs abound.

one mans view in the left corner of the US

This is a thread that's come up at least a couple other times, and it always prompts differing (and strong) opinions.

My feeling is: Why not? As someone else pointed out, Raspberries performed a couple of pre-1972 songs at their 2004/05 shows. Why not do a few post-1974 songs at their next ones?

If we're lucky enough to have Raspberries go back on the road for any number of concerts in 2006/2007, it could still be an awesome show of mainly Raspberries classics, and it could still have a couple of classic Beatles covers. But with 22- to 25-song sets, why not add a few well-placed solo numbers? Maybe a couple of Eric solo hits, plus a solo number each from Wally/Fotomaker (I love "Name of the Game"), Dave, and Boxer.

The purists think it would be heresy -- that it would make it less of a Raspberries show. I think it would be fun. Who wouldn't love to see Eric doing "All By Myself" with Wally, Jim, and Dave? (Given the song's impact, it might help sell more tickets, right?) "No Hard Feelings" or "Tonight You're Mine" would work nicely with the group. Or maybe a couple of solo piano pieces: "Boats," "Desperate Fools," "She Remembered"... lots to choose from.

Obviously, if it caused resentment, it's a no-go. And that's fine, too, as far as I'm concerned. But only four guys will know for sure....

Hey, as long as they play again, I'll be happy.... I missed out last time, so I need another chance!

Just my opinion...

A controversial subject, but what a show it would be! Most Raspberries fans are Eric Carmen fans and would love to hear 1 or 2 of Eric's songs added. happy

The only thing better than a Raspberries or Eric Carmen concert is a Raspberries with Eric Carmen concert, period (in my world).

But the most important thing is for the guys in the band to enjoy what they're doing. It takes an incredible amount of time and effort to put on a show like they've done. A lot of fans don't realize what's going on behind the scenes.

I'm for whatever the band wants to do, and extremely thankful for that. happy

It could only widen the appeal.I bet there are tons of people that don't even know Eric was in a band called the Raspberries.Just like kids that heard Wings and did not know Paul was in a band called the Beatles.It Would be great to hear and also really show that these guys have buried the hatchet.

Well, I'm strongly opposed. I drove out to Cleveland and up to NYC to see the Raspberries do Raspberries' tunes. To be honest, I'm not even a big fan of the Beatles' covers - only because I'd rather hear Raspberries songs. I'd rather hear "I Can Hardly Believe You're Mine" or "On the Beach" than "Twist and Shout". The Raspberries are a great band and have great songs. Hopefully in 2006 we'll be hearing some new stuff as well. I wouldn't want to hear the Stones do some of Jagger's or Richards' solo material. I certainly wouldn't want to hear "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" at a Faces reunion. Just my opinion.

I have conflicting feelings about this. On the one hand it would be great to have "All By Myself" included but the gigs have been near perfect and why mess with a good thing? Ofcourse ,ultimately, its their call and I am sure all real fans respect that. Doing "all By Myself", for example, isn't inconsistent with doing the Choir's "Its Cold Outside," which theyve performed. On the other hand, there was something very special about the Raspberries material and having the opportunity to have those four original members performing it. All four of them brought something significant and special to the table. It still astounds me that the C&W scene hasnt gotten onto the Smalley or Smalley/Carmen tunes as covers. Theyre superb.

Either way, Id go see Eric solo or more Raspberries gigs. Im sure many feel the same.

That's what I love about this board, especially the way it is now. Eric and the guys can read all the fans' preferences and suggestions and even answer comments personally. And they can mull it all over and incorporate it into their overall plan. It's a most amazing time to be a Razz or EC fan, particularly a participant on the board!

smile --Darlene

Speaking strictly from a $$$ standpoint, an intimate Eric solo tour, even with a backing ensemble (or overdubs), would certainly bring in a lot more dollars for Eric. And all of us would pack whatever House of Blues or venue we could drive or fly to to see it.

The last tour proved this is possible, mainly due to Bernie providing us with a place where we could all gather as a force to be reckoned with.

"Wouldn't it be nice?" to concentrate on one thing at a time, though? The particularities of projects from the Reunion Tour haven't even all been brought to light yet. If you've read all of Eric's posts, he's very busy working on a recording from the tour. "I wants" are good but might interfere with their seeing the current project to its successful completion.

It's true that it all takes a long time, but that's what it takes.

This reminds me of my students in school. Their biggest "I want" is to be a virtuoso overnight and some eventually say, "I would like to play flute, too!" I remind them that splintering off into something and spreading themselves too thin will interfere with their present progress and that greats became that way by focusing on one thing at a time. They listen but they always look so disappointed! frown

smile --Darlene