Another Rolling Stone List

marvin

From Rolling Stone:

DYLAN'S "STONE" NAMED GREATEST

BOB DYLAN's "Like a Rolling Stone" tops the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, a special issue for which Rolling Stone polled 172 musicians, songwriters, industry figures and critics. Dylan called the 1965 recording "the best song I ever wrote." Rounding out the Top Five are the ROLLING STONES' "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," JOHN LENNON's "Imagine," MARVIN GAYE's "What's Going On" and ARETHA FRANKLIN's "Respect." The special issue is on newsstands now.

From Billboard Mag:

QUOTE:

The list was compiled by a panel of recording artists, producers, label executives, critics and songwriters. Among them were singer Art Garfunkel, Motown Records founder Berry Gordy, heavy metal icon Ozzy Osbourne, and vocalist Joni Mitchell.

Rounding out the top 10 are "Good Vibrations" from the Beach Boys, Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode," the Beatles' "Hey Jude," Nirvana's 1991 hit "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and Ray Charles' seminal soul record "What'd I Say."

The lion's share of songs from the list hail from the 1960s, and only a handful were released after 1990. The most recent single to make the list is "Hey Ya!" (2003) from hip-hop duo OutKast at No. 180. Rapper Eminem's "Lose Yourself" (2002) ranks No. 166.

The highest-charting song on the list from the king of rock'n'roll, Elvis Presley, is his 1956 hit "Hound Dog" at No. 19.

The Beatles, not surprisingly, notch the most songs on the list, with 22 entries. They are trailed by archrivals the Rolling Stones, who tally 13. A dozen of Dylan's songs make the cut.

ENDQUOTE

Y'all need to stay very far away from any Rolling Stone 'top whatever' list (with one notable exception, of course -- that being the issue in late 1974 that hailed 'Starting Over' as one of the best LPs of that year). I mean, how could anyone give credence to a list that includes 'work' by Outkast or Eminem (and the addled Ozzie Osborne as a judge of the best songs of all time? Sure...) Rolling Stone lost its cred decades ago.

Bob Allen

Went to: www.rollingstone.com & found out that "Go All The Way", "Tonight" & "Overnight Sensation (Hit Record)" is NOT included in the Top 500 Songs Of All Time. madarrgh Back in the Summer of 1988, the song "Overnight Sensation (Hit Record)" was at # 90 of the Top 100 Songs Of All Time by Rolling Stone rock critics. What a bunch of losers. Matt

Bob I totally agree with your comments. For the most part I stay away from RS, but when they put out these 'special' issues, my curiosity is intrigued. For their 25th Annivesary (1993 or 1994) RS released some publications that I thoroughly enjoyed - "Best Singles of All-Time", "Best Albums...", "Best Album Covers...", etc.

Marvin

For the most part, I HATE LISTS! I'm really not even a big fan of the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame. If it were just a Rock & Roll museum, that would be different. Lists are fine as along as it is stated as a persons personal opinion. Unfortunatly, these lists dictate to those who don't have a mind of their own what they should like.

I purchased the issue today (reading material for the long plane ride ahead), and was actually quite impressed by the panel of voters. Now I know that you're all just waiting to read this, so here are Ozzie's 10 favourite songs of all-time (all comments are Ozzie's quotes):

1. "A Day In the Life" (Beatles): It takes me back to a magical time in my life.

2. "Imagine" (John Lennon): This song will never get old for me.

3. "Live and Let Die" (Paul McCartney & Wings): A f****** great song. I love it!

4. "Money" (Pink Floyd): Reminds me of my LSD days. I'm just glad I survived.

5. "Mississippi Queen" (Mountain): This one brings back memories of my very first U.S. tour with Black Sabbath.

6. "Hey Jude" (Beatles): Hands down one of the greatest songs ever written.

7. "Yesterday" (Beatles): I would have loved to have heard the working-title, "Scrambled Eggs."

8. "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (Animals): It's always been a favorite of mine.

9. "Dazed and Confused" (Led Zeppelin): My world stood still the first time I heard this.

10. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" (Elton John): Great melody. Great lyrics. Great song. I love Elton John.

Bob Allen is basically right... although the Outkast are the best in their genre...

The other thing is the harsh reality of the decline of the Raspberies' validity amongst the canon of pop & rock... Doesn't matter WHAT anyone says or replies... The truth is the Raspberries' legacy is losing its hold on the cognescenti and will not tap into the taste of the writers/zeitgeist because they straddled the line of sentimentality & rock 'n' roll... it's a tough pill to swallow, but the Berries are just too odd for their own good... if they were blatantly bubblegum (i.e. Bay City Rollers/Partridge Family) there might be a place for them... If they were as artsy as Big Star they'd be hailed as gods.....

oh well.......

Actually this list is much better than what Rolling Stone typically puts out.....most are worthy of being on the lists. And certainly a good mix of everything from rockabilly to rap. And I will even give them credit for songs that other people like, even though I don't personally like them.

And in fact, some surprises.....good to see one of my all-time favorites, "Bizarre Love Triangle" by New Order on there....up on my personal list along with GATW and Back in the USSR......

Surprised to see Glen Campbell, but glad he gets a mention. But perhaps you may give the Stone Temple pilots some credit, as they are big Campbell fans and make it well-known.

RS people do have this fixation with Patti Smith, and I don't know why. But no surprise seeing any song other than "Because the Night" making any kind of top list.

What is this "Alone Again Or" by Love? What's this "Cortez the Killer" by Neil Young? "Go Your Own Way" by Fleetwood Mac may warrant the list but certainly not THAT high. Same with "Redemption Song" by Bob Marley, and "One" by U-2.

Otherwise, surprisingly good list.

• 2 weeks later...

Happened to get a free copy in the mail....RS is trying to sucker me into subscribing.....I'm reading this magazine carefully since I got it.

A bit different than seeing it online, as I did at first. One thing about the print version is it's definately worth reading for the trivia aspects alone.....some really good side notes.

Many of us seem to be knowledgable in music, but you've got to hand it to RS for digging up these obscure facts. Even though I don't agree with the order---or even some of the songs period---it's a great read for the trivia alone...

These lists are so subjective--and merely the opinion of the often-out-in-left-field writer.

Rolling Stone is past it! I can't find much validity in what they do or say anymore. As far as I'm concerned, it's a total waste of time and energy.

Pierson, I don't care what the cogniscenti think or *think* they think...Raspberries are doing a pretty good job of creating their own zeitgeist, believe me! I've changed the way I look at the whole thing, and the whole thing is changing...Have faith, and patience. I always say it may take a long time, but true genius *will* be noticed. Then everyone will be falling all over themselves saying *they* discovered it!

smile --Darlene

• 8 months later...

It doesn't matter which magazine put out the list--like Marvin said, *very subjective* and who can *really* be "the last word" in judgment anyhow?

It's always interesting to read these lists, though. I agree with a lot of the choices, but everybody has a different opinion. That's what makes a horse race.

smile --Darlene