Chat Room UPDATE

Raspbernie

So, it appears that everyone is enjoying it! There are a few other features I neeed to turn on before making it permanent with a CLICK ON LINK in the MENU. Until then, you can access it at any time by clicking here:

ERIC CARMEN.COM CHAT ROOM

I'm thinking about a couple of things right now. One is a set time each week or each night when we can plan on organized chats. (That way you won't be entering the chat room "all by yourself.") The second is seeing if I can coerce Eric to participate in one :-)

Bernie

Will we still be able to go in the chatroom 24/7 and chat if we want to (and if others are there, nothing worse than typing to yourself!)? I like it like it is now, going in whenever I can, and if someone's there, great. But organized chats sound good too, *in addition*, but not "instead of" to me.

That said, I do think we need a way to have the chatroom only open to us members, where we need to use our registered name and password for the forum to get into the chat. I've "been around the block" when it comes to chatrooms, and I can tell you from experience, if it's open to anyone online, you're eventually going to have problems. And if we don't have to use our registered name and password to get in, literally anyone can go in and pretend to be someone else, and that can cause problems too.

I don't mean to sound alarmist, but truly, it seems to me that there are a lot of people here who have never frequented chatrooms, and that being the case, they're not "street-wise" about them. Chatrooms can be a really good thing, but precautions are necessary to avoid headaches on all levels.

Bernie, if you have any specific questions, e-mail me, chatting was something I did a lot of when I first got a computer, and I can give you the pros and cons in more detail.