Ask the Overdubs II

LC

Hey, Billy and Paul,

A few questions for you:

1) So... hypothetically speaking, if there were to be a Raspberries tour this year, would you guys be "in"?

2) Also, you guys have never played as a duo, have you?

3) Just out of curiousity, and generally speaking, what five albums do you consider your favorites of all time?

1. If there was a Raspberries tour, I would definately be interested, but,, I don't want to quit my job {Gary Lewis} in order to do one Raspberries tour. My plan would be to "juggle" both jobs as best I can. I try to work it out the best I can before pissing anyone off. I would try my best to be "in".

2. Me and Paul played together 6 years in Gary Lewis. We also played together a short period of time as a trio with drummer Tommy Rich.

3. This is a hard one but here it goes,,,,,,,

Meet The Beatles

Beatles Second Album

Rockpile- Seconds of Pleasure

Badfinger- Straight Up

Cheap Trick- Heaven Tonight

Here's my next five,,,,,

Raspberries- Side 3

Abbey Road- The Beatles

The Thorns

Rolling Stones- Some Girls

Smithereens- Green Thoughts

Thanks, Billy. Great list, and I love most of 'em, too --- especially your Beatles, 'berries, Badfinger, and Stones entries (I love Some Girls). I do admit, though, that I haven't been exposed to The Thorns (shame on me!). So I checked into 'em, starting with their "I Can't Remember" video at YouTube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16BnveWiDq0 ) and I definitely wanna hear more. Thanks again!

--Larry

I would definitely be in for a Raspberries tour. I'd have to make sure that the dates would be booked far enough in advance that I could leave holes open in my schedule when I'm not playing with my Eagles tribute band, Tequila Sunrise and now with country artist Bryan White. The great thing about Raspberries is that they all understand our schedules and will work around it. I believe that the plan is once they figure out the time frame, we will lock in a window of dates and do them.

As Billy said, he and I have played together in Gary Lewis and The Playboys for 6 years when he played guitar and I played bass. We had some hysterical times together. Times when I laughed so hard it hurt. We played in a trio with Tommy Rich, a few dates where I subbed and played in a duo with him, and too many jam nights to mention. Those were my favorite. Billy or I would call off a song and would be able to follow each other instinctively. He taught me a lot in those early years when I first met him. I remember a time at the Mad Cactus. That night I met a drummer named Jimmy Clark who is absolutely phenomenal. The three of us were onstage, me on lead vocals/guitar, Billy on bass. We looked at each other and said, "what do you want to play?" I told Jimmy, "How about some Bryan Adams?" He stood up and hugged me and said, "I LOVE YOU MAN!!" Mickey Currey is one of his favorite drummers and Jimmy had almost gotten the gig with Bryan way back in the day. He knew his catalog inside and out.

So what was cruisin' along as a typical jam night all of a sudden turned into a mini-arena concert because we played with an intensity and volume that went to another level. We did "Cuts Like a Knife", "Summer Of '69", "Somebody", and my personal favorite, "One Night Love Affair". I can remember the looks on people's faces. They were actually cheering on a jam night. It was very cool.

My albums:

KISS - Alive!

Rick Springfield - Working Class Dog

Bryan Adams - Reckless

Van Halen - Van Halen

KISS - Alive II

Good stuff! Thanks for the anecdotes.... I love the Eagles and at some point need to see Tequila Sunrise.

Re: the Eagles.... I remember meeting Joe Walsh in the early 1990s. He was playing in Nashua, NH, and I was editing a music magazine. My publisher also had a ham radio magazine and as it turned out Joe was (is?) a huge ham radio fanatic! He knew my publisher's name, er, handle?, and asked to meet him. So the three of us went to lunch, and I got a kick out of this rock star being so excited about meeting a 70-something maverick publisher who made no secret of his disdain for rock'n'roll (he's a classical music guy).

The night before, by the way, Joe entertained a whole bunch of passersby in the hotel lobby in Nashua when he sat down and played/sang several of his songs, PLUS "Desperado." While he was playing, his band members each slinked up to the piano, one by one, and dropped a few coins in an ash tray.... It was a funny sight.... Later, Joe said, "It drives Don Henley crazy when I play 'Desperado.'"

Those were the only times I met Joe, and he seems like a fun, crazy guy.

And don't forget that Paul and Billy did one show Tom Petty tribute performance at the Cleveland HOB that I had the pleasure to tech for them. It was a fantastic performance and I look forward to the day that they bring it back again. Those are two amazing musicians.

Me & Paul did have a great time on the road. He seems to like my humor. I always kept him laughing! It's a drag being on the road when different personalities clash or don't get along. It was always my job, or I should say, my expence,, to keep everyone laughing and gererally be in a good mood.

Thanks, Billy. Hey, do you and Paul stay in touch with Jen? I'm hoping that she remains "in" should a tour develop. She adds a nice touch to the show, judging by the video (the next Raspberries show will be my first!).

(Jen doesn't post on here, does she?)

Billy, I used to work for the Dead Boys, and recently found out you were in Club Wow with Jimmy Zero. I saw you guys in 1985 in NYC. Great show, glad I taped it, as I never heard you again until I got a tape of the 45 a few months ago. My question is are there any other studio recordings besides the one 45? And if so, why aren't they released??? I had heard there was a deal with a label, and they decided not to release the LP because of similarities to another band's work, any comments or insight? Also, has there ever been an attempt to do a reunion of that band? Thanks.

Hello Frankenberrie, Club Wow struggled to get that record deal but it just never happened. In my opinion, we didn't have aggressive management at the time. Jimmy put his faith in a certain person I thought wasn't as "hungry" as we were. This person might have done well for Glass Harp and the Dead Boys but didn't work out for us. We did record quite a bit between the years of 1980 thru 1984. There are some bootleg CD's out there of our stuff. We're trying to locate the master tapes so we can "properly" re-mix and release. Being that we recorded at different studios in those days, the master tapes seem to have disappeared! Kirk Yano, Paul Pope,,, if you ever read this,,,, contact me if you know the whereabouts of these tapes!!!!

Hi Billy, Thanks for the quick response, I'm guessing that Frank was your manager? He didn't do all that well for the Dead Boys either, actually, they never wound up landing a record deal again, except for the 12" which they released themselves. I'll keep looking out for those bootlegs you mention I guess, and hopefully you will turn some of the masters up! Funny you mention Glass Harp, someone on this board just sent me 2 CDs of them, I will be listening to them tomorrow. Take care, bro.

PS If you want a CD of the live show from 1985, pm me with a mailing addy, i'll be glad to burn you a copy.

Frank didn't manage us,, it was Frank's good friend Geoff Jones. Jimmy & Frank had their faith in him. I liked Geoff also. He was a good guy. I just didn't think he was aggressive enough to win us over to the record labels. We had all the confiedence in ourselves as a band and songwriters but maybe we didn't have what the labels were looking for in 1983. Ironiclly now, there's some interest in some "indie" record labels officially releasing the Club Wow material but between all four of us, we only have one 2 inch reel of master tape that only contains 3 songs. We're on the search for those other master tapes!!

Yeah, by '83, if you didn't have a funny haircut & cheesy synth sound, the labels didn't care! I know a lot of great NY bands that were passed over, or had to reshape their entire sound to get a deal. You lot were another band in the wrong time, a few years earlier or later would have made the difference. Good luck with finding those masters, I'd really like to hear better quality versions of that material.