new member, old topic, new thread

i'm new to this forum...so pardon me while i get up to speed on the wide variety of information and people here...as a newbie...i just stumbled upon the ERIC CARMEN track "NEVER SAY DIE"...and i must say...what a great track it is...the instrumentation took the hooks and ran with 'em...ERIC'S vocal was superb...and the unvarnished truth of his vocal shines without overdubs and some of the other studio sweetening that can hide the heart of a singers soul...i've been in radio a long time...in various formats...and i'm here to tell you that "NEVER SAY DIE" is airplay worthy...and as an amateur songwriter i appreciate the song too...it's loaded with subtle hooks that capture a listener without trendy gimmicks...just a pure power pop sound...which echoes both ERIC'S solo work...and his work with THE RASPBERRIES.

it was a unexpected pleasure to find this place...dedicated to one of the most talented singer-songwriters of his generation...ERIC CARMEN...i'm a fan from way back...he was a big part of the soundtrack of my teenage angst...and then beyond that into adulthood.

again...sorry to rehash something that you have already covered quite well...but i'm new here...and i wanted to get my 2 cents worth in.

Welcome to the page. You've picked a pretty exciting time to find us. As you browse around you'll find a great group of people here. No subject is too sacred to talk about, other than why Scott didn't get invited for the reunion tour.

As for Never Say Die, I agree its a great tune, but Bernie has a vault full of stuff he slips out from time to time. So welcome, and stay tuned!

JIM

danmichel,

and wait till you hear the back story about how Never Say Die came to be. The long and short of it is that the vocal was from a demo track recorded about 13-14 years ago - tape found in an old garage - had to be 'baked' to be used - new music tracks laid behind the vocal about one year ago.

Bernie can give you the details. It's a great recording.

Oh, I almost forgot, "Welcome" :-).

Ted

The long and short of it: Someone bought a storage locker that contained (among other things) a 2" master tape with Eric's name on it. He found this website, contacted me and asked if Eric would like the tape. Shortly thereafter, I received the tape. Hoping to preserve it, I enlisted the help of my good pal, Tommy Allen. Tommy put me in tuch with original Raspberries assistant engineer Dennis Ferrante. Dennis enlisted a studio in New York City that could transfer the contents of the tape to digital audio.

The three of us met in the city and sat wide-eyed as the tape was being digitized. Neither Dennis nor I had ever heard the unreleased song before. Tommy, on the other hand, had not only heard the demo before, but was actually in the Los Angeles studio with Eric when he cut it.

As we listened to the demo, which was very sparse and included mostly synths and drum machines, I said, "Wouldn't it be cool if we could get Wally Bryson, Jim Bonfanti and Dave Smalley to play on this?" We all agreed that *that* would never happen. After all, this was a full half-year before a Raspberries reunion was ever announced. It was at the time an absolutely perposterous notion. We all laughed about my suggestion. Then Tommy said, "Why don't we finish it?" To which I replied, "What?" Tommy explained, "Sure, we can get some guys together, arrange for a couple of studio sessions, and fill in all of the missing instruments."

Well, one thing led to another, and we ultimately decided to replace *all* of the synthsized instruments -- with real ones! Real drums, guitars and bass! A couple of months and lots of hard work later, we had a final mix. We sent it to Eric (along with our extraordinary tale of discovery) and he proclaimed, "It's better than I remembered it. You guys did an GREAT job with it!"

So, in the short span of one year, vistors of EricCarmen.com and fans of Eric's music were treated to a brand new Eric Carmen song, a critically lauded lavish biography and a reunion of the original Raspberries. Who says you can't have it all!

The final credits on the track include: Tommy Allen (drums/percussion), Billy Branigan (bass, guitars/keyboards), Paul Carbonara (guitars/keyboards) and me (guitars).

Bernie

thanks for the details BERNIE...that's quite a story...and your labor of love paid off...yeah...sometimes dreams do come true...years after the fact...my best to you and all the other people who made this finished track happen...i've listened it to a bunch of times already...with more listens yet to come...

btw...the synth strings you added are a really cool hook...back in the day when AM radio rules...subtle hooks like that would be lost in the compressed audio...but now with clear, clean audio...little things like that can add alot to a record...yet another hook to grab ya...i think there is a movie soundtrack that is in desperate need of this track...as it is right now...without any changes...wouldn't that be the ultimate musical fairy tale.?

......hey danmichel!....thanks for noticing the strings......i took the melody from wally's guitar line in the chorus of "ecstacy", (the one eric borrowed from "camelot"!).....it fit perfectly and was a nod to the'berries,(which i try to do every time i'm in the studio!)......welcome to ec.com!

let's just call him Tommy "Make Something Happen" Allen.... a small nod to his fab pop combo experiences with The Flashcubes & Screen Test...

do a google search for the Japanese label Air Mail Recordings & check www.theflashcubes.com for info on Tommy's work (drummer & spiritual guru) for the 'Cubes & Screen Test...

Tommy also gets props in the new issue of The Big Takeover which features a really cool interview/feature on The 'Berries with Eric & Jim.... Eric tells the story about how Tommy hooked them up with their current ace soundman, Pete Kepler.....

thanks guys for filling in some more details on "NEVER SAY DIE" for me...how apt that this song was resurrected in the way it has been...brought back to life with love and care from some true fans.

just to let you know...when i first listened to "NEVER SAY DIE" i had a overwhelming sense of deja-vu...like i had heard this track...even played this track on the air before...after years in radio...and years of feeling this way about certain songs...i've come to realize that i usually only have this feeling about songs that later become hits...although this one would seem a long shot at this point in time...i really believe there is a place for "NEVER SAY DIE" on pop radio...and as i said earlier...the movies.

strings have always capitivated me...their presence in "ALL BY MYSELF"

really fueled my love for ERIC CARMEN'S solo work...as an amateur songwriter i can hear where they should be in the songs i write.

thanks TOMMY for the superb string arrangement in "NEVER SAY DIE'...and again...thanks to all the players on this track who have put together a recording i really enjoy...there may yet be more to this story in the future...i hope so...i would really like to see this saga continue...in the form of a major label single release...from a major movie soundtrack.