"Preserved" for the Curious

Julie

Craig, I was right there with you 100% till you said you liked "This Kiss". Faith Hill is the complete package, except I don't think she writes her own songs (correct me if I'm wrong). So the likeability of her music depends on which member of her Nashville songwriting machine actually pens the tune. She does rebound fast after having babies. That's good for business.

The song "This Kiss" was written by singer songwriter Beth Nielsen Chapman. Beth also wrote Happy Girl for Martina McBride. She made two great CD's back in 1990 & 1993 (Beth Nielsen Chapman & You Hold The Key) both are recommended. Her third CD "Sand And Water" back in 1997 isn't too bad but her latest CD "Deeper Still" on Artemis Records is her worst so far in her career. Matt

Sorry, Gregkevinw, but I know plenty of men who are not Celine worshippers, to suggest women have something against her is just silly. My son nearly laughed himself to death a few days ago hearing Celine do "You Shook Me All Night Long"... I won't even tell you what he said when the laughing ended eek

My opinion on Celine and other female singers....since we are on the subject.

Celine does a really good job at what she is

supposed to do....but is not offering anything different that what other singers have to offer.

Ironically, I think her best stuff was the early stuff. A lot more upbeat, and a bit original and different than much of the pop here. I don't understand French at all, but really got a good vibe from it.

Kelly Clarkson really got lucky with that hit song of hers......just perfect timing......people

were ready for a Bonnie Tyler or Whitney Houston ballad, and this certainly covered both.

I don't really think Faith Hill sold out. Rather, the pop and rock fields don't have much going on, and that's why people are gravitating to this pop-country. I get the impression that she really enjoys what she is doing.

Let's also give credit where credit is due. There's a really good songwriter named Beth Nielsen Chapman who wrote some songs for Faith. Heard her interviewed once on the radio--very good. Also, Bekka Bramlett(who replaced Stevie Nicks at Fleetwood Mac) did contribute a song one one of Faith's albums.

Streisand is great. Barry Gibb was really impressed on her work on "Guilty".....all songs were done on the first or second take, according to Gibb. But I think her assessment of her own talent is really off base---she thinks she's better at acting/movie producing, as opposed to singing.

And whatever happened to Sheena Easton? She had some great stuff, and then disappered. The first album was the best, with "Morning Train".

Someone mentioned pregnancies somewhere on the board? Keep in mind that Merry Clayton did "Gimme Shelter"(backup vocals for the Stones); plus Carly Simon and Chaka Khan did some of their best studio work during the advanced stages of pregnancy.

Oh, yes, on that Neilsen Chapman interview.."This Kiss" was not originally intended for Faith Hill.

It was actually supposed to be submitted to Paula Abdul. Chapman did play the original demo of the song on the air, as well.

She had also mentioned about this song "Sand and Water" which had to do with her husband's death.

Elton John, for a while, was substituting this song for "Candle in the Wind" as he was getting burned out on the song on tour.....according to Chapman.

Another couple of things about Streisand. It took me a long time to realize that Fanny Brice was a real person, and not a character she made up. Also, I was disappointed to see Streisand as the lead on "Hello Dolly". Carol Channing really did the definitive verson of that role on Broadway. Maybe if she got the role, the film may have done better at the box office.

Bekka Bramlett (daughter of Delanie & Bonnie ["Never Ending Song of Love]of Joe Cocker's Madogs & Englishmen fame), was in the 1990's touring version of FM. If you're interested, check out the album "Bekka and Billy" ("Billy" is Billy Burnette - an excellent Rockabilly / Country / Rock singer-guitarist) for some fine Country-Rock. And by the way, Stevie and Lindsey are back in FM for the new album which is due out next year.

Regards,

MARVIN

Mary Clayton, the background for "Gimmee Shlter" also sang with Eric on the Dirty Dancing tour, doing the duet on "Almost Paradise".

Didn't Bily Burnett tour with Fleetwood Mac in Lindsey's place before the big reunion?

You want to hear someone butcher one of Eric's songs, check out Olivia Newton John try to cover Boats. I'm actually a pretty big ONJ fan, but her doesn't have 10% of the passion Eric sings with.

Seattle Steve

I have Preserved and don't care for it with exceptions. Scott McCarl is outstanding on Nobody Knows. I'm not sure but I thought I heard that Eric said if Scott was in the Raspberries when that song was conceived he would have had Scott sing it. I believe Eric realy liked his version. Rubinoos are great, and I didn't think Ken Sharpe was bad.

Didn't Billy Burnett replace and tour with Fleetwood Mac prior to the reunion?

A lot of people don't realize that the Mary Clayton that sang with Eric on Almost Paradise during the Dirty tour was that great background voice on the Stones Gimme Shelter.

Marvin, don't forget another big Badfinger song, "Day after Day"

Interesting story behind "Come and Get It". It was during the Abbey Road sessions and Paul got to the studio early. Within one hour he first layed down the piano/vocal part for the song that he had wrote in minutes, Come and Get It. Then he played and added a drum track, and the bass by himself. He took it to the then named Iveys, and helped produce it for them in the studio just 9 days later. They changed their name to Badfinger and the song became the main song in Peter Sellers movie "The Magic Christian", and a big hit.

It is amazing how close Badfinger's version sounds compared to McCartney's demo which he played everyting on and made himself in less then an hour.

Seattle Steve