New Stage Set up

Roadie #3

I am very surprised that no one has commented on the stage set up.

Comments about how good Dave’s bass sounded should have been followed by: gee isn’t that a new bass rig?? Or how about, why are there three Vox amps on Wally’s side of the stage. And last but not least, say isn’t that Ken and Barbie sitting on the drum riser and what is that around there necks?

Finally, who is the new road crew member, where did he come from and what does he do?

Shocked, I am just shocked that you haven't noticed.....

R3:

Another Chicago-area show will get you a FULL, wildly ecstatic stage set-up review within hours of the final cymbal clash!

So what's Dave running through these days? and what's with Wally's new rig?

Geeks want to know ...

Gene: Great shot! Ummm ... the file is "161Atlantic City". Does that mean there are, like, 160 others ... Gene? ;-)

"K"

Hello Cosmik, to answer your question about the guitars, they're made buy a company called "Line 6". Yes, the guitars have digital software to digitally "model" a whole collection of guitars including acoustics all in one guitar!!! I make big use of this guitar in the Raspberries!! Billy Sullivan

OK for the "Geeks". . . The very first reunion show, New Years Eve, and Chicago Dave was using the Vox Valvetronix Head with 2 Vox AD 412 cabinets. These are designed for guitars not bass systems although they really do a pretty good job. Dave wanted to improve his sound so on the break after Chicago he bought an Ashdown ABM 300 Amplifier which is what he used in the studio to record his “Internal Monologue†CD. From Milwaukee through Atlantic City Dave used the Ashdown head with the 2 Vox AD 412 cabinets. After NYC Dave still was not happy with the sound of his system so he had me purchase the Ashdown speaker cabinets to replace the Vox cabinets. The new Ashdown cabinets are configured with 1 – 15†speaker in one cabinet and 2 – 10†speakers and HF horn in the other. This system kicks ass and for the first time you could feel the floor of the stage rumble as Dave played. Good move Dave!!!

Now by doing this, it freed up 2 of the Vox AD 412 speaker cabinets and 1 Vox Valvetronix amplifier head. We were able to give Wally a second speaker cabinet which really helped to round out the lead guitar sound. So now Wally is using one Vox Valvetronix amplifier head set at 4 ohms / 15 watts into 2 Vox AD 412 cabinets wired in stereo. Paul is using the one remaining Vox Valvetronix set up thus eliminating his Fender Twin from the stage.

One thing the band really cares about other than the overall sound of things is the way things look. Besides the great sounds that we get from the Vox and now Ashdown systems they do look “marvelousâ€.

I really would here any comments from fans regarding how the stage equipment sounds. Notice any other equipment changes?

Regarding the guitars; As Billy has said he uses 2 different Variax (Line 6) modeling guitars and the different sound he gets is really amazing. Like Billy, Eric has two of the Variax modeling guitars although his are a different model. The Black one is an Electric model and does have the capability to be modeled as an acoustic. However, the acoustic range is limited. Therefore, he bought the acoustic model which models everything from banjos to a sitar. Eric really enjoys playing both of them and it seems as his collection of guitars grows he is running into the same problems as Wally; which guitar should he play. My thought, its just another guitar change, play them all.

Variax (Line 6 has a very good website where you can look at both Eric’s and Billy’s guitars. Eric uses the 700 Series model and Billy the 500 series. http://www.line6.com/

A bit of photo info.... The file number on a picture is an indicator of how many shots there may be. I have about 350 from Atlantic City. However, that doesn't mean 350 GOOD shots. The mic might be coverning someones face, the shot may be blurred by me or by action on stage, etc. Jim is tough to shoot due to drum sticks flying past his face. For all the members you gotta have just the right combination of good lighting and nice expression.

I usually put up just a sampling. I knew sometime back Bernie might be doing a book, so I held some back. Hopefully, the book will have some you haven't seen.

Roadie, I know that the original intention was to have a matched, "Beatlesque" backline.....but did Vox actally not make an actual Bass amp/cabinet in the Valvetronix series?

And with the two new cabinets, given the differences in the types of speakers, was any kind of external crossover(Passive or active)used....or is the head and/or cabinet equipped to just plug and play??

Vox did not make a Valvetronix bass amp to match the AD 120 VTH head and AD 412 cabinet. In fact, in an email from our Vox rep last week, Vox is discontinuing the AD 412 cabinet.

I am not sure if the second part of your question refers to Dave's speakers or the Vox cabinets. So I will address both. Dave’s new Ashdown speaker cabinets are a matched set designed to be used with the Ashdown ABM 300 power amp. These speakers are "Plug and Play" with the ohm settings preset. The only adjustment on the cabinets is the ability to cut the power to the HF horn 50% or completely turn it off. They do sound so good.

The Vox Valvetronix system is a little more flexible as the both the power amp and the speaker cabinets have multiple settings. In the standard set up such as Eric's rig we are using 1 head and 1 cabinet. We set the ohms on the head at 8 and run the cabinet in stereo mode. Additionally, Eric likes the wattage set at 30 or 60 depending on the room. With the sound he is looking for, the higher wattage allows Eric to get the "brightness" sound while at the same time keeping the stage volume lower. Wally is using 1 amp head and 2 cabinets. The head is set at 4 ohms due to the 2 cabinets and the system is run in separated stereo (one cab right / one cab left). This is done rather than split each cabinet in the stereo mode. One big difference is that Wally runs the amp head at only 15 watts. This is possible due to having the dual cabinets which gives Wally a little better sound coverage once again without having excess stage volume. The only downside of the Vox speaker cabinets is that they are very directional; notice that both Eric's and Wally's cabinets are pointed towards their microphone stands so they can hear what they are playing.