All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Rip Taylor dies at 84

Also Rip & special guests The 5th Dimension appeared in a Bobby Sherman half hour variety special show in 1971 which is on YouTube!!!
  3. Happy Thanksgiving day

4. Happy Thanksgiving day

5. Happy Thanksgiving day

6. Happy Thanksgiving day

7. Double Fantasy

Art Garfunkel did a nice reading of Second Avenue also...
  8. Double Fantasy

I think Art Garfunkel would do a lovely version. He is one of the few male artists who has the sensitivity to deliver an EC song the way it is supposed to be. I love his versions of Since I Don't Have You & I Only Have Eyes For You.
  9. Starting Over review...

That issue of Rolling Stone with the review of Starting Over by Ken Barnes is in my collection somewhere. The bonus review by Robert Christgau is on the money. The guy from '95 whose name is not worth mentioning didn't get it at all...
  10. Yesterday
  11. Starting Over review...

Starting Over The Raspberries Capitol ST 11329 Released: October 1974 Chart Peak: #143 Weeks Charted: 6 The Raspberries have at last realized their potential. They've clearly become the premier synthesizers of Sixties pop influences extant. Even more importantly, the end results of their adroit collages of musical knowledge often equal or surpass their models' original creations. As illustrations there are two perfectly astonishing tracks on Starting Over. "I Don't Know What I Want" is the ultimate Who tribute, a superbly integrated pastiche of Who styles, 1965-71. Fragments of Townshend melodies surface here and there, and Eric Carmen's vocal is an uncanny Roger Daltrey imitation. Yet the song stands on its own merits as a modern teenage frustration classic. Original album advertising art. Click image for larger view. "Overnight Sensation (Hit Record)" boasts a stunning production, combining an ultra-complex Beach Boys approach with Phil Spector techniques. Lyrically it's a refreshingly frank confession of the band's number one goal. Unlike those sensitive, questing souls who profess to disdain their gold records, the Raspberries want that hit on the radio. And they know what it takes to get it off -- "If the program director don't pull it/Then it's time to get back a bullet" is a far cry from the naive "Please Mr. DJ play my record" plaints of a decade ago. Though the Beach Boys and the Who are historically my favorite artists, I'd have to admit that "Overnight Sensation" and "I Don't Know What I Want" eclipse anything either band has done recently. They also overshadow the rest of the album, whichis almost uniformly excellent and contains three other tracks which likewise outshine most of the available product. "I Can Hardly Believe You're Mine" is a gorgeous rockaballad, "Play On" has captivating harmonies over high-voltage rocking and "Cruisin Music" is a consummately produced Beach Boys-style tribute to the car radio. Starting Over is still not the ultimate Raspberries triumph, but its highest points are as lofty as any heights rock music '74 has scaled. - Ken Barnes, Rolling Stone, 10/24/74. Bonus Reviews! I don't quite believe it myself, but this really does it -- brings the middle '60s into the middle '70s. Full of great singles for a singular time, which obviously doesn't mean this one. Two secrets. First, Scott McCarl is the big bad John they've always needed to compliment Eric Carmen's supersweet Paul. Second, a vague concept (just like Sgt. Pepper!) adds dimension to several otherwise minor tracks. Highlights: "All through the Night" (Eric as Rod the Mod), "Hands on You" (drumless John-and-Paul takeout), and "Overnight Sensation" (about being in it for hit records rather than money, which is what I call a concept). A- - Robert Christgau, Christgau's Record Guide, 1981. The band's last album is something of a disappointment, much louder and punchier than their previous work but lacking the elegance that characterized their overall sound. None of the songs is bad, and some are quite good, but they sound like they're going through the motions at this point, and they did break up soon after. Starting Over was selected as Album of the Year in the 1974 Rolling StoneCritics Poll. * * * - Bruce Eder, The All-Music Guide to Rock, 1995.
  12. Double Fantasy

I always thought Mariah Carey should have done either ABM or "Boats". I believe I once read she considered ABM, but Celine beat her to the punch. I think Mariah's career would have gone a better route in the 90's had she gone with either!
  13. Interesting topic and response...

I would say "GATW". Can't tell you how many times I went to bat for the band as a teenager and that song was always the one no one could come back at me with any negatives. You'd think I'd choose a Beatles song, but everybody likes the Beatles in some form (except hipsters who just like saying it along with no tv). I went to war for the Raspberries!
  14. Rip Taylor dies at 84

Just saw him on a couple of Monkees episodes, including him being "Wizard Glick", a famous Monkee reference.
  15. A Great Piece on “She Loves You”

Nice find! I would have loved to have seen Paul open with this on one of his tours. I think people would have gone crazy!
  16. You might try contacting Bernie (use the 'contact us' at the bottom of this page. I think at some point he found a few more of the soft-cover versions of Marathon Man after it had sold out, but don't quote me on this. Good luck on your quest- it's a great book by Bernie and Ken Sharp!
  17. Hi Eric Carmen community, I know I'm late to the party here, but I've gotten heavily into Carmen's music (both solo and with the Raspberries) only within the last year or so. Anyway, my point is that only very recently did I discover that Carmen has a biography titled "Marathon Man." Looking on Amazon, it says it was published in 2004, so I figure it's likely long been out of print. It is available for digital purchase, but I'd much prefer to have a physical copy. Searches on Google and eBay have proven to be practically useless, so I'm wondering if anyone on this forum may have a copy they are looking to sell or know of any retailer or distributor I could still buy the book from. I'd really like to learn more about Eric's career, and the limited documentation found online leaves a lot to be desired. Thanks, kyletx500
  18. Last week
  19. Cool site of songs by Dave Smalley that have been covered

I'm surprised that some country group that prominently features 3- and 4-part harmonies hasn't covered Should I Wait.
  20. Lew, I moved this here because it's Raspberries related. At time it appears to be just you and me playing ball- you're pitching and I'm catching- that's o.k. If it keeps the action on EC.com it's a good thing!
  21. Go All The Way’s Historical Status?

Most of the Raspberries promo 45's I have are mono on one side and stereo on the other. I'd have to dig them out to see if GATW was that way. The retail release was stereo, albeit very compressed.
  22. While not all inclusive, it is fun to see what covers they have turned up. Copy and paste in YouTube to see if they are available for listening...
  23. This page shows the songs that Dave Smalley wrote that have been covered by other artists... https://secondhandsongs.com/artist/102322
  1. Load more activity