All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Top 30 Artists

If I make a top 30 artist list I'll have to go back and revamp it several times because of artists I forgot the first time...an impossible task! I'll see if I can get at least the first 10 right: Eric Carmen Raspberries Beach Boys Eagles Beatles Elton John Chicago Jackson Browne ELO Rolling Stones
  3. Eagles, song rankings

As noted on the Eagles LP thread... my Top 20 is very hits-heavy. I'm sure I'll come up with other choices after a drilling deeper.... 1. I Can't Tell You Why. A non-Henley/Frey song at the Top of an Eagles list? This is so great, though. 2. Lyin' Eyes 3. Hotel California 4. One of These Nights 5. Take It to the Limit 6. Wasted Time 7. Best of My Love 8. Take It Easy 9. Pretty Maids All in a Row 10. Try and Love Again 11. Peaceful Easy Feeling 12. Tequila Sunrise 13. Last Resort 14. Love Will Keep Us Alive 15. Desperado 16. New Kid in Town 17. In the City 18. Witchy Woman19. Already Gone 20. Heartache Tonight I do like "The Long Run," actually. And honorable mention to "Please Come Home for Christmas." And just like that, I have an Eagles playlist!
  4. Top 30 Artists

Couple points: 1. If I have to split Eric Carmen & Raspberries, Eric Carmen would win out, but not by a lot 2. I´m surprised you guys have Eric Carmen as low as you guys do!...of course it´s fine, I´m just surprised. 3. The sound of Philadelphia, and some of the non-Motown soul music.....I´m getting into some of those groups these days, so great, in a year or so I´d guess a couple of them will hit my top 10. 4. I left off David Gates / Bread.....big oversight....David Gates is an American music treasure. Probably should ditto Gordon Lightfoot here, except he´s a Canadian treasure.
  5. Top 30 Artists

Craig, I couldn't do it. I actually had 83 listed out. I did some editing to get it down to 30, then felt like Nos. 31 to 40 deserved a plug—heck, one of them was a Beatle! So, here's my Top 40: 1. Beatles. So deep, so brilliant, so wide-ranging, so impactful.... The Beatles simply make life better! 2. Paul McCartney. His longevity has rocketed him up my list, higher than he might have been 30 years ago! 3. John Lennon. Think of all the music we lost on that December day in 1980. He was just getting started again... :-( 4. John Stewart. Former Kingston Trio, writer of "Daydream Believer," singer of "Gold" and "Midnight Wind," and folk-rock/Americana artist whose 50-plus albums make a stunning body of work. 5. George Harrison. A deep dive into Beatle George's solo work has given me an all-new appreciation for what he did as a solo. Have you ever heard "Soft-Hearted Hana"? "Ooh Baby"? "Dear One"? 6. Fleetwood Mac. Based largely on the Buckingham/Nicks era, but with appreciation for the Green, Kirwan, Spencer, and Welch eras. 7. Bruce Springsteen. Again, elevated by a deep dive. 8. Raspberries. No. 8... or 1a! Honestly, I liked Raspberries more when I thought about music first, not politics. 9. ELO. Still another act elevated by a deep dive. 10. Beach Boys. It's almost sinful to have the BBs this low. 11. World Party. Yet another beneficiary of a deep dive. T12. Eric Carmen. It' so hard to separate these three.... So I copped out—Eric, Elton, and Billy in a piano-man tie. T12. Elton John. T12. Billy Joel. 15. Bob Dylan. Criminally low! 16. Jackson Browne. Those lyrics! 17. Stevie Nicks. That aura! 18. Lindsey Buckingham. That guitar playing! 19. Bee Gees. Those harmonies! 20. Traveling Wilburys. That lineup! Made only two albums, but it was enough to land in my Top 20. 21. Paul Simon. 22. Eagles. 23. Johnny Cash. A relatively late discovery for me.... I got heavily into The Man in Black a few years ago. 24. Rolling Stones. I'll never be your beast of burden.... 25. 10,000 Maniacs. I prefer the Mary Ramsey era (current) over the Natalie Merhant era—not that the Natalie era is bad or anything. I just happen to dig Mary Ramsey. If this list were extended out, you'd also see John & Mary — Ramsey's duo act with John Lombardo (a Maniacs founder who goes in and out of the group). 26. Neil Young. 27. Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. 28. Monkees. The "Pre-Fab Four"! You know, they had some really strong songs. 29. Chicago. One of the first bands I really loved. Those first nine albums stand up quite well. The loss of Terry Kath had such an impact... what might have been! 30. U2. 31. Bonnie Raitt 32. Eric Clapton. 33 Elvis Presley. Crazy to have Elvis so low, but I missed out on the mania. Still, the music explains it... what a voice, what a tone, what phrasing... 34. Dire Straits. 35. Ringo. I might not have had Ringo in my Top 40 if not for a deep dive I've been doing. It's hard to call any of his albums an A or even B, but when you cull the one or two or three highlights from each, there's more here than meets the eye! Plus, he's Ringo! 36. Boz Scaggs 37. Rod Stewart 38. Queen 39. Bob Seger. 40. Roy Orbison
  6. Billy Joel's Best

Helen Reddy remake of Billy Joel's "You're My Home" (from 1974 "Love Song For Jeffrey") (audio only) (also flip 45 single "Keep On Singing" remake of the Austin Roberts 1973 song) The last 13 seconds were cut from the 45 single!!
  7. Top 30 Artists

That is so weird! I started a post with the same theme, but couldn't stop at 30, so went to 40, then 50... and it's now at 100! I will cease and desist on that one, and give you my 30. One of the rules I had was: Keep bands separate from solo artists who emerge. You have the same rule, but James... you've got Eric and Raspberries combined! So... you'll have to split them! Who goes first? :-) Anyway, lemme find my list. I think it's in an iPhone "Notes" file....
  8. Eagles, song rankings

1. Take It Easy 2. Ole 55 3. Desperado 4. The Last Resort 5. Hotel California 6. New Kid in Town 7. Try and Love Again 8. Already Gone 9. Tequila Sunrise 10. Best of My Love
  9. Billy Joel's Best

Craig, you're right on River of Dreams—that title track is one of the most uplifting songs of the era. It's one to add to ELO's "Mr. Blue Sky" and Bruce's "Waiting on a Sunny Day" as mood-boosters. Also, I'm glad you mentioned Songs in the Attic. I LOVED that record when it came out. It was so smart of Billy to dust off deep tracks from his earlier albums and give them the excitement of a live show. And you're spot on about the difference between Frampton Comes Alive and Attic is that Billy's album relies more on the actual performance. He had a killer band on the road back then. Anyway, Songs in the Attic got me exploring the other Billy albums I hadn't bought at the time (Cold Spring Harbor and Streetlife Serenade).
  10. Billy Joel's Best

Also, I do love "Uptown Girl," from the time Billy was going through a doo-wop period. And that video, with Christie Brinkley—very entertaining. "My Life" and "Honesty" marked a one-two punch in 1978, our sophomore years... an uptempo pop-rocker and a ballad with a bit of an edge. See, that's how you follow up a blockbuster album... two can't-miss singles that flooded the airwaves within months, seemingly, of The Stranger. Makes you think about that long, long, long delay of Eric's between his Arista debut and Boats Against the Current. All that momentum from the three hits (plus "That's Rock'n'Roll") on his solo album was lost in the waiting, right?
  11. Billy Joel's Best

James, Interesting that you haven't discovered your namesake song. It was one I backtracked to find after The Stranger broke loose. I probably bought Piano Man first, because of the title track, and Turnstiles second, because of "I've Loved These Days." At first, "James" didn't connect. In fact, I think I was ducking it for a while. It's the opening track on Side 2 of the LP (a place of honor!), and truth be told, I often laid the needle down just after it, because the other three songs on that side were so awesome (and still are). I couldn't wait to get to them: the fiery "Angry Young Man," the all-time ballad "I've Loved These Days" (you didn't have friends playing that one during senior year?), and then the kick-ass rocker "Miami 2017." But... you can't be that persnickety with a turntable too long, so I started playing all of Side 2, and "James" sank in. It has a sort of gentle, ethereal quality, and you'll find it starting to stick in your head. And then you start wondering about the story.... It's written as a series of questions to a childhood friend—a hard-working dude, a writer, a good guy... but somebody who puts everybody else first, to his own detriment. James tries too hard to live up to standards people around him have set. As the lyric says, "James, do you like your life? / Can you find release? /And will you ever change? / Will you ever write your masterpiece?" I especially love this line, a good one to live by, really: "Do what's good for you, or you're not good for anybody, James..." So... check it out. And when one of you friends pops in while you have it on, he or she might ask, "What are you listening to?" And you can say, "James." "I know your name, but what are you listening to?" "James." "Yes, you're James, but what's the name of that song...?" You'll get a little Abbott & Costello routine going....
  12. Eagles, song rankings

Another tough one. I'm going to have to give this some consideration. But I can tell you that Best Of My Love will head the list.
  13. Top 30 Artists

Craig, you´re probably the most knowledgeable person I know re: pop/rock music. My top 10: 1. Eric Carmen / Raspberries 2. Elton John 3. RUSH 4. Burton Cummings 5. REO Speedwagon 6. America 7. Foghat 8. Neil Diamond 9. Eagles 10. Status Quo I´m in exploration mode, ie: getting familiar with a lot of music I hadn´t been familiar with, so this top 10 will likely change in the next year or 2. Edit: somehow I forgot to include the Bee Gees...they go somewhere between #2 and #5.
  14. Eagles, song rankings

Ok, we haven´t done this one yet. What are your top Eagles´ tunes? Mine: 1. Try and Love Again 2. The Last Resort 3. Desperado/Doolin Dalton reprise 4. New Kid in Town 5. Tryin 6. Do Something 6a. Waiting in the Weeds 7. Take the Devil 8. Is it True 9. My Man 10. Ole 55 2nd ten: 11. Hollywood Waltz 12. Lyin Eyes 13. Pretty Maids all in a row 14. Long Road out of Eden 15. Saturday Night 16. Too Many Hands 17. Those Shoes 18. Greeks don´t want no freaks 19. After the Thrill is Gone 20. Hotel California (probably would be higher if I hadn´t got kinda sick of it) Bunch of songs not on my list are very good, a testament to how talented the Eagles were writing and recording great music.
  15. Yesterday
  16. Top 30 Artists

What the heck. I decided to list what I consider my Top 30 favorites artist. These are the artists that I still listen to faithfully. There are many more that I like, that on any other given day may have made the list. But today...these are Top 30. 1. Beatles 2. Elton John 3. ELO 4. Billy Joel 5. Eagles 6. Paul McCartney/Wings 7. The Moody Blues 8. The Guess Who 9. America 10. UFO 11. Eric Carmen 12. Raspberries 13. Survivor 14. Foreigner 15. Barry Manilow 16. Journey 17. REO Speedwagon 18. Hall & Oates 19. Styx 20. Partridge Family 21. Chicago 22. Collective Soul 23. John Waite 24. Bread 25. Bob Seger 26. The Clarks 27. Led Zeppelin 28. Badfinger 29. Alice Cooper 30. Toto Honorable Mention: Poco, Ricky Nelson, Glen Campbell, Bee Gees, Icehouse, Steely Dan, Uriah Heep, Cheap Trick...and the list goes on
  17. Billy Joel's Best

RIVER OF DREAMS is a pretty darn good album, which tells you what I think of Billy Joel. Not a bad one among the bunch. His Live SONGS IN THE ATTIC completely energizes the included songs in the same way that Frampton Comes Alive energized the studio recording of Peter Frampton. The difference is that it relies less on the energy from the crowd, and more on the actual performance. To me. "Honesty" is the perfect song. Ranks in my Top 10 all time. The song is great, the performance is greater. "You're My Home" is another under-rated classic. He just has SO many great songs. I'll try to do a list of my top ranked songs, but it will super hard.
  18. And the journey begins...CT/NY/NJ

Funny, a year ago I bought a bunch of toys from back in the day (searched for them on amazon)...slinky, battleship, monopoloy foozball, air hockey, operation etc. Bought them for kids (and adults) who visit our office and spend time in our reception area. A couple Etch-A- Sketch devices was one I bought also. Now when I look at the "sand" in the device, I´ll never see it the same. Lew, you´re weird....and that´s pretty bad coming from a great weirdo (me) himself. : ) P.S. We´re waiting for the Raspberries vs. BLM. Want to see that thread.
  19. Billy Joel's Best

Another great post LC, you put a lot into these, very enjoyable and educating. I recently bought a couple Joel albums for the first time. Haven´t gotten into listening to them yet. Of the songs I´m aware of, and it´s s mostly limited to the singles released and the album "The Stranger" (which I got to become a little familiar with as it was played by my dorm mates all the time freshman year of college). Anyway, here are my favorites for what it´s worth: 1. My Life...If someone asked me to name the greatest pure melody of all time, it might be this song. 2. Uptown Girl....I know the intelligentsia of music doesn´t like this one, but I find it one of the greatest pop tunes of all time, and also one of the best videos of all time. 3. Allentown, another genius melody 4. Piano Man, great song, I somehow listened to it too many times so got kinda sick of it. 5. Scenes from an Italian Restaurant 6. Honesty 7. The Stranger 8. She´s always a woman 9. James....never heard the song, but there´s something about it I like. : ) ..truth is of all his hits he put out, these are the only ones I liked, and only the first 5 do I consider exceptional songs. Many of his hits just didn´t do much for me, but in his hits, I hear a guy who is an uber talented writer, and thus probably has a bunch of great stuff inside his albums that stayed as deep cuts and never released as singles. We´ll see as I explore his albums.
  20. The Boss—Springsteen favorites

Springsteen has many die hard fans. Though I do like him, and have most of his albums, I always thought he was one of the most over-rated artists ever. (Shhh...don't tell Marvin I said that) I seem to like when other artists do his songs more than I like when he does them. I do love Hungry Heart. Great pop song! Tunnel Of Love was definitely a fine album. I need to make a more concerted effort to dive in to everything.
  21. And the journey begins...CT/NY/NJ

In case you haven’t heard, I have had to temporarily return to the U.S. to attend the Black Lives Matter vs. Raspberries court case which starts tomorrow... Lester and Clara Bell have stayed behind in Nicaragua and will await my return... P.S....Before I left, Lester showed me the weirdest thing...He has an Etch-A-Sketch...But it’s no ordinary Sketch... When he was two years old, his grandfather died and they had him cremated...They put his ashes in the Etch-A-Sketch and Lester got to play with his grandpa all the time... 😐”Hi grandpa,(twiddle twiddle)...Let’s play”(twiddle, twiddle)... P.P.S...When I was born, they named ME after MY grandfather. It was so weird to be three years old with everybody calling you “gramps”......
  22. Billy Joel's Best

Hmm... not many Springsteen fans here, obviously. But my next deep dive is Billy Joel. (My deep dives are starting these days with iPhone playlists I'm making... just for me.) I've been a huge Billy fan since my college pal Dave begged me to drive him to the ONE record store in Rochester, NY, he could find (after several calls) that happened to be carrying Joel's brand new album, The Stranger. It wasn't a "hot new release"—it was just the next album by the guy that did "Piano Man" a few years earlier. The Stranger slid out without much fanfare... which is why Dave had to hunt to track down a copy. But he LOVED Billy, having come from Long Island, and couldn't wait to hear his latest. As we all know, it didn't take long The Stranger to break loose, turning Billy from regional and cult favorite to international star. And to think... Eric Carmen was way more well-known before The Stranger hit, having scored all those hits on his first solo album. When "Just the Way You Are" took off, the tables turned. PS: Did you know Billy hasn't released a studio album since 1993 (River of Dreams)? Yet he hasn't disappeared, considering all the touring he did in the decades that followed. Anyway, for me, Billy's finest were the following albums and songs. 5 ALBUMS The Stranger was such a strong pop album, and most of it holds up. I like Nylon Curtain just as much. And Turnstiles isn't far behind. Years ago, I might've had The Bridge on this list, but it hasn't aged all that well. 1. The Stranger (1977) 2. Nylon Curtain (1982) 3. Turnstiles (1976) 4. 52nd Street (1978) 5. Piano Man (1973) On the outside looking in: Glass Houses (1980) and Storm Front (1989). 20 SONGS I've got 10 of Joel's 13 albums represented below, with nothing from Cold Spring Harbor or Glass Houses or his 2001 classical album. The split (I had to count) was four from Turnstiles; three each from The Nylon Curtain, The Stranger and 52nd Street; two from An Innocent Man; and one each from Piano Man, Streetlife Serenade, The Bridge, and River of Dreams. 1. Summer, Highland Falls 2. Vienna 3. Goodnight Saigon 4. Piano Man 5. Rosalinda’s Eyes 6. Scenes from an Italian Restaurant 7. I’ve Loved These Days 8. Pressure 9. Laura 10. Stilletto 11. She’s Always a Woman 12. I Go to Extremes 13. Miami 2017 14. This Night 15. This Is the Time 16. The Longest Time 17. River of Dreams 18. James 19. Until the Night 20. Souvenir On the outside looking in: "Allentown," "Captain Jack," "My Life," "Baby Grand" (w/ Ray Charles), ""Where's the Orchestra?" On the other hand, "Just the Way You Are," "You're My Home," and "She's Got a Way"—all former favorites—didn't make the cut for me. Gushy, hopelessly sappy love songs don't wear well. However, "James" did make my list.
  23. Happy Canada day

24. Happy Canada day

25. Happy Canada day

26. Happy Canada day

27. Last week
  28. A Scott McCarl Endorsement

Scott McCARL [USA] The Raspberries were important because they brought to pop a generic style, with so many good ideas that their approach remains vital today. They can be remembered as the ones who incorporated into the Fab Four legacy some aspects of the `60s/`70s the Beatles themselves never tackled (e.g. that "mod" approach). Even if he solely appeared on the fourth and last Raspberries album and although he grew up in the midwest, McCarl epitomizes more than ever that myth of Cleveland stamped as a "new Liverpool" back in the early `70's. He started out in Omaha, Nebraska with an outfit called Yellow Hair featuring Tom Sorrells on drums. This and the following of the story with The Raspberries is history and it falls outside the guide's time span but in the late `70s McCarl cut a lot of highly "red-album-ish" Beatle-esque demos which have resurfaced on his 1997 CD "Play On...".www.scottmccarl.webprovider.com CD « PLAY ON... » (USA [Titan! #1426]1969-1981,1996/1997) This CD is a compilation of recordings McCarl has done from 1969 through 1996 (click [review])...
  1. Load more activity