All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Eric on "Change of Heart": "One of the things I find most satisfying, when I listen to "The Essential..." is that, with the exception of "Change Of Heart", there isn't a single song I would arrange differently if I went into the studio to record it today. The arrangement on "Change Of Heart" places it firmly in 1978. That's the only arrangement I would re-work if I had the chance. It was the one time in my recording career that I gave in to "the trend." The demo version on this website gives you a better idea of where that song should have gone."
  3. The chatter on FB is that Kay and Wally have the Starting Over master tapes and are in the process of 'baking' them. This is right from Kay's lips. I believe these are the only Raspberries masters known at this time, and this was just recently publicized.
  4. "Cruisin Music", to me, is the most underrated Raspberries song. It's got a melody that could come out of only a genius song writer......it's a perfect pop/rock gem. So good that it'd be the signature song of 98% of the artists out there. James
  5. I LOVE the album "Change of Heart". All songs score very good - great with the exception of "End of the world" which is just good. IMHO
  6. Susie! You are TOUGH! Except I'm thinking about your question: the "first five" I'd replace doesn't mean I wouldn't get around to replacing several hundred. It's just—the five that I'd need right away. Here they are, as of today: 1. Beatles: Let It Be 2. Beatles: The White Album 3. Eric Carmen, Boats Against the Current 4. Raspberries Best Featuring Eric Carmen (that awesome 1976 compilation). 5. John Stewart: Gold I know that list is all that's required here, but... please indulge my explanations (or, of course, you can just move on to the next response). Anyway, the first four on my list are sort of self-explanatory, because, well, I'm here. As Eric wanted to tell John Lennon when he met him, "If not for the Beatles, there'd be no me," or something to that effect. For me, the later Beatles struck a chord, and Let It Be was one of the first LPs I ever bought. It's so great, still—"Two of Us," "I've Got a Feeling," "Across the Universe," "Get Back," the iconic "Let It Be," and my favorite, "The Long and Winding Road." And The White Album—I loved the "branching out" the Beatles were doing at the time. It's still an album I can listen to and hear new things. Boats is probably the album I've played more than any other in my collection. And Raspberries' Best would be right up there—I'd want it for the "four horny singles" on Side 1, the tour-de-force "I Can Remember," and the pop masterpieces "Overnight Sensation" and "Let's Pretend." But what about my fifth choice? What is that, you're wondering? Well, it's an awesome career-spanning compilation from the late, great John Stewart, somebody I got to know as a friend and who I admired greatly. Every story ever written about Stewart mentioned that the singer/songwriter/guitarist: • wrote "Daydream Believer" for the Monkees shortly after leaving The Kingston Trio. • traveled in 1968 with Bobby Kennedy on his whistle-stop train tours—truly "the last campaign," as John called it. • had several solo hits, including "Gold," "Lost Her in the Sun," and "Midnight Wind" (all featuring Lindsey Buckingham and/or Stevie Nicks). • penned a number of hits for others, including the moving "Runaway Train" and "Dance with the Tiger" for Rosanne Cash. But there's so much more to John's career, and lately, I've been digging deeper than ever into his catalog, which numbered more than 50 albums of material, including his Kingston Trio work. HIs brand of pure Americana music is just... stunning. And so, his Gold compilation is one I'd replace pronto. Recently, John's music got major exposure because of the film Apollo 11, which featured his "Mother Country" at a pivotal moment. "Mother Country" was a favorite song of astronaut Buzz Aldrin's, so he brought it with him on the mission via a special playback machine that was an early sort of Walkman. The scene with "Mother Country" is very moving—it's the song the astronauts actually had playing as they sped back into Earth's orbit. I couldn't help but get a little choked up when I saw it—partly because of the triumph of the moment itself, and partly because John deserved that kind of exposure. He was that good! A P.S. for Susie: John wrote a number of songs where horses play a role, and "Mother Country" was one of them. He was really into horses, and if you listen to (especially) his 1980s-2000s work, you hear a lot of songs that have a sort of "trotting" percussive feel—he loved the sound of trotters.
  7. Well, it definitely had tough acts to follow—the Arista debut and then (to me, Eric's high point of creativity) Boats Against the Current. So... Change of Heart doesn't have quite the pop punch and freshness of Eric Carmen (Arista) or the poetic brilliance and musical intensity of Boats, but by itself, it's a pretty strong collection. Any album with "Desperate Fools," "Hey Deanie," "Someday," and "Heaven Can Wait" is a keeper.
  8. Of course, after I wrote that last comment, I saw that Bruce Johnston wrote liner notes. Oops! Also, did you all note this line?: MASTERED IMPECCABLY BY JOE REAGOSO AT FRIDAY MUSIC STUDIOS – FROM THE CAPITOL RECORDS TAPES Hmm... sometimes you hear that the original master tapes have been lost.... Maybe not?
  9. Now that is a great design, that back cover. A real throwback. (Millenials: Now what are those little red things inside the labels?) I love that this compilation has "Cruisin' Music" on it. Love that one. It was better than any Beach Boys song of the mid-1970s (with all due respect to the great BBs).
  10. Some great tunes on that LP! Bernie
  11. Happy Canada day

12. Happy Canada day

13. Happy Canada day

14. Happy Canada day

15. Yesterday
  16. This record always seems to have a diverse cross-section of opinions...
  17. Eric on Madonna

I love Madonna's music too I've been listening to her music since way back in the 80's when I was a little girl-Tammy Quick
  18. Some fans opinions on the Change Of Heart Lp...https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/does-anyone-else-think-eric-carmens-change-of-heart-is-a-pretty-good-album.752798/
  19. Eric on Madonna

She had a handful of cool stuff...
  20. These guys were..

That song is better than "Afternoon Delight" in my opinion!!
  21. Eric on Madonna

I do have only 2 CD's from Madonna "Ray Of Light" (1997) & "Music" (2000). I can't believe that Eric loves Madonna's music because I saw it on Twitter. The song "Take A Bow" (from 1994 "Bedtime Stories") is still my favorite ballad. The song "Live To Tell" (from the 1986 movie "At Close Range" with Sean Penn) is a dreamy song. What was Madonna thinking when she released the music video for "Express Yourself" (from "Like A Prayer") & grabbing the crotch & also did during the MTV Video Music Awards?? What are your thoughts?? Matt
  22. Last week
  23. Another great ERIC forum...Why no output from Eric?

Some real conclusion jumping going on in that thread.
  24. These guys were..

One of those songs that transports me to a certain time and place in my life...
  25. How Eric Spends His Days Forum

Some interesting discussion mixed with trite banter...it bugs me when somebody claims to be an 'expert' on an a particular artist and it's obvious they're anything but- which would be fine if they kept their opinion to themselves...
  26. There are some great interviews on the various pages of this fan forum... https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ever-wonder-how-eric-carmen-spends-his-days-now.607811/
  27. These guys were..

....talented. I liked their song "Afternoon Delight"....but they have better ones. Great vocals, vocal arrangements and strong song writing. I missed the boat with them back in the day. Anyway, this is a good one:
  28. Starting Over... A New Album Collection

I'm working all weekend and can't really say I'm all here (easy Lew), but here's five off the top of my head: 1: Raspberries- Starting Over 2: Eric Carmen- Tonight You're Mine 3. Eric Carmen- Geffen Since I only have 2 left... 4. Beatles- have to be some kind of Greatest Hits with only 2 selections left 5. Beach Boys- same situation...some kind of Greatest Hits package
  1. Load more activity