Sign in to follow this  
Raspbernie

"I was a dreamer..."

darlene   

After falling in love with the music of Raspberries and Eric Carmen, I "automatically" bought "Boats" like Billy K did. That was a "given," of course! I was just swept away by the album, especially "Boats," and I always thought it was a love song, period.

Then, I got thinking about the many beginnings/endings/ different styles of Eric's career: Raspberries breaking up, going solo, seeing different agents/managers appear on the scene (I always read ALL the credits on the album and had met Stan Poses, one of Eric's agents/A&R people, whatever) and had seen an array of new names and new producers (like Harry Maslin), new labels, etc., and I was listening one day and started wondering if this could be a "double meaning" story, such as love story/story of a career partnership ending.

Somehow, I became attuned to the fact that it just might be, because it was just so poignantly sad. I got that it was terribly depressing, and that the "tomorrow, we'll run a little bit faster" was irony, but still, one can't help wanting to inject that optimism that we WILL run a little bit faster....I love that haunting song...--Darlene

darlene   

Bernie-- I'm not surprised. I have always felt that "Boats" was a major opus, even more than the gorgeous love song it is. It was composed on such a grand scale that as significant a love song as it is, it just seemed like something truly monumental, something tragic to his very being.

"Boats" has always hit me in that way. Obviously this event had extreme significance to Eric, and the urgency is absolutely intrinsic to the piece, like crying out, even though it won't do any good, but it has to be stated. Somehow, that always came through to me. It shows that Eric expressed his very soul in that song. It's so beautiful. --Darlene

It might be a little premature, but having listened through it six or seven times since purchasing it yesterday, I must say it is incredible.

This is one of the few albums that I would give a 10/10. Every song is wonderful!

Eric has an intensity to his music that I have not heard since Barry Manilow's first two albums, before he went completely commercial.

Anyway, this is probably one of the finest albums I've ever heard. Eric, thank you.

Kristina   

I first fell in love with Eric listening to "All By Myself" on the schoolbus. Then, I saw him perform on the Merv Griffin show and and fell harder...but not until "Boats Against The Current" did my adoration of all things Eric come to fruition. I listened to that album over and over dreaming and analyzing like a lovesick teenager-the piano, that voice, the amazing lyrics-how can anyone resist. To this day, this is my favorite album of all time...the one I'll take to the desert island if I only had one to take...I have copies everywhere-the car, the living room, the computer, my parents house..can't be without it nearby. Oh, I don't listen quite as often but that album cover has to be near...

Congrats on the 25th anniversary of Boats Against The Current!!! Thanks for letting me reminisce...

Love is all that matters...faithful and forever...

Kristina-- I love listening to a lot of albums. But none has ever meant so much to me as BOATS. Those of us who have been affected by it know what I'm talking about. If we had never discovered it, we wouldn't know what we were missing...but since we did, we can't live without it.

Prisoner of illusion...sentence is suspended.

Loneliness is ended...love has set me free.

I'll agree with that entirely.

Having had Boats for a full three weeks, I'm still amazed at how good an album it is. It joined me on a recent ten-hour-drive to Oklahoma, and never got old, even when looped many, many times.

Great album, just great.

And to think, if Barry Manilow hadn't ripped off Eric's music without crediting him, I'd have never discovered the wonders of EC....

Aztec NW   

I listened to "Boats" again the other day for the first time in a long time. Boy, does it bring back great memories. I was stationed at Ramstein AFB in Germany and I bought it at the local PX. "Marathon Man" is still my favorite off that album. Should have been a hit.

A masterpiece, in every sense of the word. Great songs, great playing--still cuts a little close to home emotionally, even after all this time. I was 15 when I bought it in 1977. I can't really play it too often, because it brings everything back into sharp, sharp focus--I rememeber everything I felt then when it plays and that can be a little overwhelming...

Ryo   

I am sorry for not not had gotten enough promotion to the album. Although import CD is expensive, I think it's worth the money.

I heard BATC for the first time at a friend's party just after it came out. To say that I was knocked out would be somewhat of an understatement. I took the LP off the turntable, grabbed the record jacket, told my buddy that I would return it the next day (never did) and grabbed my girl. We listened to it for about 5 hours straight. Not because I happen to be on this board, but this is the finest album that I have ever heard. The greatest works stand the test of time---my 13 year old son now listens to BATC on CD! Kudos to Eric on his ability to leave a musical legacy. Many can perform, but fewer are remembered.

-Bill