Sign in to follow this  
JCraft

What's Next??

tony,if i felt that way,i'd say it..but i'm just a easy goin guy..believe me..but if u catch me at the right time..i'll say it ..but it could be alot worse..takes ALOT to make me go off..just ask the three women i live with!!! nah,i love em all!! lol,chris

JCraft   

Dang---I finally got my answer--what a birthday present-----

thanks for the straight scoop Eric. Now about my posting on "The Inside Story"-----

JIM

Wow, personal preferences aside, there is an intangible dynamic going on when these 4 play together that cannot be denied, albeit from good mates getting together or even tension.. musically it just works.

Stacking up each members percentage of contribution doesn't matter (nor is it productive)in the subjective field of music. The 4 simply have a vibe that is not easily reproduced.

Good or bad, it's different, it's special. Many Raspberries songs don't sound like EC solo, and many EC solo doesn't sound like Raspberries, because the quartet is unique, and that's a good thing.

Eric doesn't have to pick a side, he has a solo career simultaneous with the Raspberries, and we are the collective beneficiaries of some of the greatest range of songwriting and performances imaginable.

It's all good.

ira   

Bottom Line-Has there ever been a major shake-up in any other major group-where both versions of the group were equally praised?

I guess there are some folks who like Hagar's Van Halen.

I can't think of ANY other group besides them and the 'Berries where this has happened.

That's really sayin' somethin'-Ira.

ira   

Fleetwood Mac/Genesis-Good One. Little River Band-Who knew-Who cared? Partridge Family? Everyone in New York-in unison-C'Mahn! haha

How about the many incarnations of Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship and Starship....Grace Slick, Marty Balin and Micky Thomas

It was hard to keep track without a scorecard but they were all pretty darn good...

Pink Floyd did HUGE business after the departure of mastermind Roger Waters...

A controversial split, but I saw Styx with Dennis DeYoung and the current version led by Tommy Shaw and JY--to me, the TS/JY version was FAR superior...

I think AC/DC would have achieved the same level of success had Bon Scott not died. Thier last release with Bon Scott was, if I'm not mistaken "Highway To Hell". I think his passing kind of caused some of the success that the band later enjoyed. But they barely missed a beat for having to endure that kind of change. I like the early stuff better.

Bon Scott could rock the lights out, I always think of that as the "classic" AC/DC. Bands tend to weather changes better if great songwriters still remain. E.g., Brian Jones dies but Jagger and Richard are still there. Waters leaves, but Dave Gilmour is around and is no slouch. I dont think the Who could have weathered Townsend leaving even though the remaining three were superlative in their own ways.

JCraft   

If you talk about success and personel changes, how about the Doobies. It was a revolving door with each group having its own popularity. All this aside, I still wonder what's coming around the corner. HEY--EC--Bernie--anything cooking end of March first of April??? Its my wife and my 30th anniversery, but I'm willing to postpone the cruise if there are cool things in the works. Hey--how about a reunion cruise????? And that's out of FL., no Calif.!!!!

JIM

Trindy   

I, too, think it was a truly gentlemanly thing Scott did by turning down the opportunity to have a little piece of all this.

He added a special contribution of his own. But to me the magic will always be with the original four and I am perfectly happy hearing them do the "Starting Over" songs...even one like "Play On."

His humbleness does him proud.

Now I only wish I could see those four, and the 'Dubs, together yet again...complete with Wally talking and joking on the stage, one of my favorite memories of that first reunion concert. I hope to see that time come someday.

Well, now having had almost 2 years to consider it, I would lend my opinion that the original 4 guys made the sound. Almost 40 years later, the sound still works. Scott and Mike contributed to the "sucess" of the band. However, everyone needs to rewind to 1971 and hear these four semi"original" guys (John was in the original band) playing songs that took you back only 5-7 years but seemed like a lifetime. Only when I heard the reunion shows and The Choir show did it confirm to me it was the basic core that created a sound emulated by others to come, Petty, Springsteen, Cheap Trick, hell even ELO. Four humble kids from Ohio (some transplanted smile ) made it happen. I was proud to have been there and more proud now to pass on the music and the history to my children and a new generation of audiophiles.