Sign in to follow this  
Raspbernie

I Can Remember

On May 22, 1972, "Go All The Way" was released as a single. I don't actually remember hearing it on the radio for the first time (although I'm fairly certain that I did). My first memory of hearing the tune was through the walls of my room at home when I was about 17 years old. I knocked on my brother Jim's door (or maybe I just barged in :-) and asked him what he was playing. He said, "You know that new album you just bought that you've been listening to over and over and over again? Eric Carmen? Well, this was the band he was in before he went solo!"

And that's how it unfolded for me. I didn't fully realize the power of the Raspberries until well after falling in love with Eric's music with his first solo LP.

When I listen to the song now, many years after hearing it for the first time, it sounds as fresh and as vibrant as ever. The combination of Wally's opening guitar riff, Jim's driving drums, Eric's bass and vocals and Dave's rhythm guitar is simply 3 minutes and 10 seconds of the shearest perfection that ever made it's way to a vinyl disc's carefully cut grooves. And it was just the beginning of a discovery that would lay the foundation of my life's soundtrack ... a score that more often than not finds itself immersed in the words and music of Mr. Eric Carmen.

Bernie

If you read my article back in August of 1999, my story about the song when I heard it for the first time when I was 7 years old is there. I think it was August 25, 26 or around there. I had a Panasonic Panapet 70 ball & chain AM radio way back then. Check it out! Matt

Julie   

Aahhhhh....I was 12 years old and in the car on the way to the grocery store in a gold Chevy Caprice with a white vinyl top with my mom the very first time I remember hearing "Go All the Way". I remember how I got caught up in the rhythm and mom and I hummed along every time we heard it. I asked her what the words were and she said she didn't know. (We're talkin' AM radio back then, and I was just 12 --and by the way, in my part of the world, 12 was pretty innocent and I had absolutely NO IDEA what 'go all the way' meant eek . If she knew, she sure wasn't going to tell me!) I finally decided it was, "Don't Go Away" and that's how I sang it until I got in college!!! --JB

Kirk   

I know I've mentioned bits and pieces of the story of my girlfriend and I discovering the Raspberries and adopting them as our own. I don't know if it was May 22 when I first heard "Go All The Way", but I do know I have all the record charts from 93 KHJ radio for this song-as well as every other Raspberries hit that climbed up and down the charts. Back then, all you had to do was go into the record store every week and pick up a new chart. I could hardly wait for the next weeks to come out when the Raspberries had a single on the radio. I guess the record store strategy worked pretty well, as I ended up with FIVE copies of GATW. Kirk.

aggiesjc   

May 22, 1972 was my sixth birthday, but unfortunately for me, I didn't "discover" the Rasperries until I was in college in the 80s. At least I did find them! At that time, GATW sounded mighty familiar and instantly became one of my favorite songs of all times. It was Eric's Geffen solo album that led me to find the Raspberries.

Though I owned "I Wanna Be With You", I really only truly discovered the Raspberries and GATW in 1982 when I purchased the Greatest Hits on cassette. I purchased it for a trip to the shore, but when I returned, I instantly purchased the vinyl version and started reading that album cover. I didn't remember hearing GATW when it was a hit on the radio, but it became one of my favorite songs that year.

The very first time I heard GATW I was working at a summer camp in Center Ossipee, NH. I had the afternoon off. I was laying out catching some sun. I had my grey plastic AM radio blasting from the window of my cabin. It was tuned to Boston's WRKO. I remember getting goose bumps, even though it was 90 degrees out! Was it The Who? Was it the Beach Boys? Was it Badfinger? Little did I know it was the band and the Man that I would identify with for the rest of my life. Thanks Eric, Dave

darlene   

I first heard GATW on the jukebox at a club. I had heard the most exquisite sound on my car radio on the way to the club. I was so blown away by the sound of the voices and the harmony (I was sure the group was English) that I just went into a kind of trance and almost hit a car in front of me. They didn't announce the name of the song or the group and I was thinking about it at the club.

When the local band took a break, somebody played the jukebox and I heard "that sound!" I went running across the dance floor to see "selection now playing" and it was "Go All The Way" by The Raspberries. I was hooked. (What I had heard in the car was probably "Let's Pretend"). My first thought was "These guys have been out and I didn't KNOW about them?!! Where have I been?!

I found "I Wanna Be With You" on the jukebox as well and kept feeding it quarters all night playing it. My addiction began that night, and I'll never get over it! --Darlene

Betsey   

It was a warm May afternoon in Ohio. My best friend and I were playing cards in the backyard with a radio blaring. I distinctly remember the screaming jock from Detroit's CKLW announcing "Go All The Way" by "these guys from Cleveland, the Raspberries." It changed my life. Never before had a band or song had such an effect on me. It's very hard to believe it has been 30 years. Way to go, Eric! Betsey

Laura   

I remember that I was 13, and had a little portable radio with an earplug that I used to listen to the top 40 on WLS from Chicago. It used to be the big AM station that all the teens used to listen to. I was listening to someone do the countdown and heard GATW during that. It was instantly memorable to me because it was dirty sounding. I bought it and was hooked. I don't think my parents ever really caught on to what I was listening to, which made it all the better! wink

AnniekNY   

The first time I heard "GATW" was on the TV show "Go!", 1972. I was 11! It was a kids show that showed how different things got done and they showed the Raspberries recording "GATW" (supposedly) but the music hooked me. It has been my all time favorite song of any artist since then. I used to go to a club called Maximus in New City, NY and the DJ was great. I could request "GATW" and dance my behind off!!

Later on, I had a boyfriend who was a DJ and had every Raspberries and Eric solo album. it wasn't til then that I had a copy of the GATW album in my hands. Needless to say, I got some of the albums in the break up portion of our relationship because it "would have been too painful to listen to Eric without you." Awwww...I bet he's kicking himself now!!! wink

Congrats to Eric on a song that could hit the top ten today and no one would know it was 30 years old. Love ya - Annie

Billy K.   

I don't remember the exact circumstances of where I was, but I do remember first hearing it shortly after release...and getting a major rush from it. Had no idea who these guys were or what the song was all about, but I HAD to find out what this record was.

And it couldn't have come at a better time. After a decade of great music during the 1960s, the '70s got off to really lowsy start. Most of the best bands had split up, and some great artists died.

Just wasn't ready for Elton or Zeppelin at that point, and was sick of the "hippie elitsts" trying to dictate style and taste...and then THIS record comes out...and whoa!!

I had heard of the Raspberries just a few months before. There was some national contest giveaway(don't remember who)where the winner would get the Grass Roots to play at their high school, with the 'berries as the opening act. THESE are those same guys??

Needless to say, I did by the 45, and played it five times back to back. I was hooked from then on.

I was a record representative with EMI Australia who had the rights to Capital Records in 1972. They played GATW at the weekly sales meeting and blew everybody away. No-one had heard of the group and we were all given a sample copy of LP complete with raspberry flavoured sticker,I still have the record and it still smells of raspberries, been a huge fan of Eric Carmens ever since.It became a major hit single in Australia in 1972 but due to "out of stocks" did not quite make it to number one.

m2moon   

1972--I was 12 years old... I remember when The Raspberries "Go All the Way" song came out on the radio. I was just at the end of SEVENTH grade (whoa, what a long, long time ago...)! I still love to listen to Raspberries music, and to Eric's music too. What a SUPERB voice with a great range too. Would love to see Eric on tour -- maybe a stop in El Paso, Texas???

The memories are great, even after 30 years! Thanks Eric for being such a talented artist and musician!

Robin23   

My 2 sisters and I heard GATW on a radio station in upstate NY. We fell in love with the song immediately. I know we purchased the album as soon as it came out. We played it over and over. My sister still has all the Raspberries albums. We did see Eric and the other band members at a nightclub in Albany, NY called Rudys, and in NJ at a club called Faces. We were in such awe of Eric and his music that we did not take advantage of the opportunity to talk to him during their breaks. We continue to appreciate his music and look forward to many more years of great music.

Robin Moore

I was less than a year old when "Go All the Way" was released back in 72 so unfortunately I cannot share any memories with that song.

The first time I "discovered" Eric Carmen was probably like in 1978 when I was six years old. We had a record player with a bunch of 45's. My sister used to buy 45's and low and behold I came across "Sunrise". We used to always dance around in our living room to this song (as well as others). It was a great memory. At that same time we also had Sean Cassidy's "That's Rock N' Roll." Little did I know Eric wrote that song as well. In fact I really didn't start "relistening" to Eric until the late 1990's when I bought his Definitive Collection. Man that opened up all the memories from when I was a boy and from that point forward I have been an avid, avid fan of his. He just rocks!!! Thanks for the memories Eric. It's amazing how music can be so influential to one's life!!

susabell   

Raspbernie.

Boy o' boy do i remember when the raspberries first played on the radio. I was seventeen, and the sound that they played was so great. I love pop music. You can sing to it and it just makes you feel wonderful. The only thing though is that i never got to see them in concert. That i regret alot. Even now I'm still trying to find out the next concert for Eric will be coming. Did you get to ever see them in concert?

Bye now

Susabell

"I Can Remember" the back of my car with a girl called Kay and my first Big O during "Go All The Way ." Eric went oo, o, oo, o, oo,o, oh, oh and so did I. I hope "She Remembered" as clearly as I do? It was mid 1972 as the song was released a bit later in Australia. A Magic moment and my favourite song of the year. I loved the band from then on and have been a distant Fan ever since. The Raspberries and Eric aren't forgotten in Australia that's for sure.

Russell Murphy.

JoAnne   

I remember...I was 14 years old and my sisters girlfriend brought over a 45 of Go All the Way. The very first time that I listened to it, I was mesmerized and fell in love with the Rasberries! At the time, I especially loved the lead singers voice and still do. I have been a fan of the Raspberries and Eric Carmen to this day. Eric, your music is so invigorating, refreshing and just makes myself and many fans feel happy and alive compared to the music and lyrics of most of today's music and talent. I thank you for the very special memories, the music and your website! smilesmilesmile