Sign in to follow this  
Lawyer fan

"....But perfection is consuming, ......

darlene   

I think we not only write what we're meant to write (that's a given!) but also what we *have* to write. The war going on between Eric's feelings of hopelessness and feelings of optimism created all the absolutely delicious pathos in Boats, and is no doubt responsible for all of our differing interpretative viewpoints.

Boats is not only truly a masterpiece, but a masterpiece of paradox as well. I LOVE IT!!!

smile --Darlene

LC   

Paulie,

As I mentioned on the other thread, another cover of "Boats" I've found is from Patti Labelle. A little too "big" of a read, but still worthy of hearing. I've never heard Frankie Vallie's version, though....

Paul S.,

That's a good story about your introduction to "Boats." Have you ever recorded a version of it? (Apologies for not knowing!)

--Larry

I can probably upload the video. I have to convert it to the right format and then to Quicktime. You don't see a whole lot of me in it but it's just me playing piano with a little bit of drums.

Paul

Kirk   

Some of the people covering "Boats":

Olivia Newton John

Patti LaBelle

Frankie Valli

Michael Burgess

Timmy T

Kei Ogura

Kirk.

Trindy   

I have to laugh that people were afraid I would come back and weigh in on this again...

What can I say, folks? All I can say is, I understood this to be a sad song from day one. I never read it any other way, and I was surprised to learn that some people actually took the lines "But tomorrow, we'll run a little bit faster..." literally or optimistically. I always took them to mean "Well, that's what we keep telling ourselves...that's the lie we keep telling ourselves...and that's exactly why we're stuck in this dead relationship and we can't get out." Kind of that song "Neither One of Us" ("wants to be the first to say goodbye"). Only, I think from a lyrical standpoint, BATC is much better than that song.

"Hopefully, someone will do it justice someday. ec"

The original is heads and shoulders above any covers. On purpose or not, Eric wrote it custom made for his voice, no one else for me can pull off the vocals as well.

Ann   

I totally agree Steve. No one can do the song as well as Eric can.

This song expressed every emotion I was feeling when I was going through my divorce ages ago. It reached the depth of pain and dispair in my heart.

"Tomorrow, we'll run a little bit faster; tomorrow, we're going to find what we're after at last" was my hope that both my ex and I would find the happiness we were searching for in our lives.

I have smilespin

darlene   

Eric's voice has the capability to mirror every nuance of emotion, and he writes in a rainbow of them. Most vocalists are not able to change the timbre or tone color of their voices at will. Eric has a palette of colors he applies. Very like an operatic soloist.

A few evenings ago I saw the Vienna Philharmonic's celebration of Mozart's 250th anniversary, which featured vocal solos from Don Giovanni and other Mozart operas. The European male and female soloists featured showed an amazing disparity in their abilities to project different tone colors. One young lady was heads and shoulders above the rest in her ability to transmute emotion into tone via timbre. She reminded me of Eric in her ability to do this.

smile --Darlene

With the topic of "Boats" being discussed I thought I'd mention a little story to y'all. I was in high school at the time Dirty Dancing was out (the story is in Marathon Man). I only knew of Eric from that song and "MMLC", both that I loved.

Paul

Paul,

I too was in high school when "Dirty Dancing" came out and via the soundtrack that's how I knew of Eric from "Hungry Eyes" and "MMLC". Ever since then I've been a fan of his music and I am now discovering what I've been missing - The Raspberries music! LuvLove

My daughters(ages 10 and 6) enjoy his music as well. Just this evening, while dropping my youngest daughter off at art class, I had "ABM" playing and she was singing along! His music does transcend time! WOW! wink

HT from Mo

Well, it has been covered. Olivia Newton John and Patti LaBelle both did versions of Boats. And Mel Torme did a beautiful version on the Merv Griffin Show. But it's a bit esoteric to be a "hit" song. Hopefully, someone will do it justice someday. ec

As I've said before, I wish Eric was a little more pro-active in shopping his songs to today's popular artists in need...instead of leaving it up to fate.

I guess it's a pride thing...

TammyK   

I'll add my thank you to Eric for Boats. It has been a teddy bear and chocolate milk on many a bad day. It is empathy for all my troubles, and hope that tomorrow will be an easier day. On a happy day (most of them, thankfully!), it is a perfect song. Perfect vocals, perfect words, perfect music.

JCraft   

I am a "Boats" fan also, but I believe this song gets a lot of credit for being the great song it is. I think the most underated EC song is I Was Born to Love You. I have yet to perform this song without someone coming up later and asking about it. It is one of the most popular wedding songs I do. I think the lyrics match the music as well as any song Eric has done. It hard to say this is my favorite or that one is my favorite, but IWBTLY is right at the top.

Sorry TC

JIM

I agree with you Jim, I was Born To Love You is indeed a beautiful song. It's one that both my husband Jim and I love and listen to often and I think would be great for weddings. Keep singing away Jim.

June LuvLove