Sign in to follow this  
Raspbernie

Did Eric "inspire" Hall & Oates?

1977 - Eric releases his Boats Against The Current album, which includes the song "She Did it," cleverly written to incorporate Beach Boys "didits" into the lyrics of a song.

That Fall, Eric tours the U.S. in support of the Boats LP playing cuts off of the new album including the aforementioned "She Did It." At some of the venues, he shares the bill with Hall & Oates.

1982 - Hall & Oates release a new single titled, "Did It In A Minute," cleverly written to incorporate Beach Boys "didits" into the lyrics of a song.

Hmmm…what do you think?

Bernie

marvin   

I don't know about the 'inspire' bit, but I clearly recall making the same assumption when I first heard "Did In A Minute" way back then.

Marv

Kirk   

That was a VERY COOL double bill. Saw them in Westwood on the Ucla campus playing Pauly Pavillion. Biggest gripe was Eric's set was only about 45 minutes:(

I wonder if the 'inspiration' was one of those subliminal things where you hear something, forget about it, and one day you're humming along and *presto* a song pops out. 5 years seems like a long time to wait if you were consciously borrowing from the song. Kirk.

darlene   

Kirk, I agree, sometimes it's subliminal, BUT the "didits" were really right out there. Maybe it was a bit of Todd Rundgren--that is, pretty intentional--hmmm?

smile --Dar

James   

I saw them on that tour in Dallas. I'd just recently started college (TCU) in Ft. Worth (40 miles from Dallas) and didn't have a car. But I HAD to go to the concert.

Nobody had any interest in Eric Carmen and I was still in the process of making friends. I ended up finding a guy who had a smidgen of an interest in Hall & Oates ...but I had to pay for his ticket..and probably for the gas if I remember right..

I remember being SO fired up for the concert. I'd seen Eric Carmen in Columbus backing up America in 1976. But this was my first time seeing him since I'd become a huge fan.

It was a great night..and well worth the double cost!