Sign in to follow this  
Raspbernie

Saturday Showdown III

Check out this new Message Board Feature. Everyone can now create custom polls with start and stop times.

Let me be the first to innaugurate this feature where "Love Is All That Matters" squares off against "I'm Through With Love." Each song explores a different side of the eternal struggle. Which will you choose?

The way that this works is that you vote in the first Message Box and still have the option of explaining your choices by posting like I am here.

My choice is "Love Is All That Matters," but I'm starting to see how difficult it can be when forced to choose between two great songs! "Love Is All That Matters" is simply one of Eric's most powerful ballads. The melody line is so deceptively simple, picked out on his piano with a sparse beauty that eventually sweeps you away as the song takes form. I'm as moved by this song now as I was the first time I heard it almost 25 years ago. If that isn't amazing in itself, I don't know what is.

Bernie

Woooooohoooo!! Yes, Bernie this is the idea. This should be fun and it will be hard to choose sometimes, that is the fun part. I will choose Love Is All That Matters. It is so beautiful and the title really says it all.

Hey, Spring is here and LOVE is in the air ;)

Gina

Laura   

I also voted for "Love is All That Matters." That song always just struck home with me every time that I heard it, although there have been times in my life when "I'm Through With Love" should have been my theme song. I think the first song always spoke to the eternal optimist in me. I always thought LIATM would be a great wedding song. Laura

PS: Love the voting format! :)

Kirk   

"Love Is All That Matters" came at a very poignant time in my life. My first love and I had broken up and I was "Starting Over" with the girl that would end up becoming my wife (going on 25 years now). Got to be "LIATM". Kirk.

darlene   

Bernie, I too am the eternal optimist, and whenever I thought I was "through with love," Spring always came again, and LIATM is the PERFECT wedding song (beautiful idea, Laura!) and I think Kirk's story about meeting his wife at LIATM time is exquisite! Everyone is totally correct, including you, and I love the song.

I voted for "I'm Through With Love," though, because there is just something magnetic about those ballads Eric writes that connect with something when love is absolutely searing your soul, and I can't just discount that at all. I can NEVER choose between two of his songs ANYWAY, but ITWL just twists my heart when I hear it ... so I voted for it. But LIATM is just as beautiful ... these polls don't work for Eric songs!... --Darlene

Julie   

I do love them both, but I identify more with "I'm Through With Love." It's been so long since I've been in love that I've adopted this as my "theme song"! If I ever meet that special someone, I'll probably switch to "Love Is All that Matters" :wacko: That's the really great thing about Eric's music--he has a song for every emotion. --Julie

marvin   

"I'm Through With Love" always struck me as being too over the top, almost Michael Boltonish in it's arrangement. But I am biased because the song is from my least favourite EC album. On the other hand, "Love Is All that Matters", although it seems to be a simple structured song, has a perfect melody and dead-on lyrics.

Marvin

Duane   

Another tough choice. I voted for "Love is All That Matters". It appears LIATM will win in a landslide...although it was almost a coin toss for me. I really like both songs.