Lew Bundles

Happy Together -50 Anniversary Tour

Went last night to see the 50th Anniversary tour…

Cowsills-Strong vocals and tight opening set…

Classics IV…Without the late Dennis Yost, they were the weakest of all the acts…Lead vocalist was flatquite a few times…Great sax player…

The Vogues …Very tight vocal harmonies, although it’s not the original lead singer…

The Association…All originals(I think)…Good solid set, although the mix was a little muddy…

Gary Puckett…A definite highlight…Still possesses strong vocal even at the age of 79…

Turtles…Great catalogue of songs but don’t treat their music with respect…Clown around too much…Mark Volman does not look in the best of health and vocals were shaky…His partner, Howard Kaylan does not tour anymore and was replaced by Ron Dante, lead singer of the Archies…

Good show overall…Great professionalism for the most part and backing band was led by Godfrey Townsend…

Recommended for people in our age bracket…

P.S.-Chuck Negron (Three Dog Night)  and The Buckinghams were both advertised but were no-shows..

P.S.S.-These are the kinds of packages that EC would be great for in a 70’s and 80’s type calvacade…

• Like 1

Batman   

I saw Tommy James at an outdoor concert about 6 years ago and he was excellent. I also saw the Turtles at an oldies review with other acts, around 2012, and as you said, they did not take their music seriously. Disappointing to say the least. I saw Boston 3 years ago at an outdoor concert in Pennsylvania, and they were great. The replacement singer for Bradley Delp was first-rate.

• Thanks 1

Kirk   

Went to high school with The Turtles. I guess they never grew up!

• Haha 1

Kirk   

Yes, Westchester High School class of '65, which is before me by a few years. They were known as The Crossfires back then before they became The Turtles.

• Thanks 1

I've seen a lot of these bands in oldies shows through the years. A bit too depressing for me now. Hard to get past all of the people using walkers up and down the aisles!

:lol:

Bernie

• Haha 2

Doreen   
On 7/30/2021 at 1:53 PM, Batman said:

I saw Tommy James at an outdoor concert about 6 years ago and he was excellent. I also saw the Turtles at an oldies review with other acts, around 2012, and as you said, they did not take their music seriously. Disappointing to say the least. I saw Boston 3 years ago at an outdoor concert in Pennsylvania, and they were great. The replacement singer for Bradley Delp was first-rate.

The lead singer would be Tommy DeCarlo. He is good and he’s also a sweetheart. They found him on YouTube!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1