Sign in to follow this  
Lew Bundles

A new nugget of info for Kirk...

In another forum, Kirk says...”Sometimes I'm reading these Eric stories and thinking it all sounds so familiar, and then a little nugget or gem pops out of Eric's mouth that's totally new! “

Not being the completist and historian that Kirk and Bernie are, I like searching for nuggets of info that may surprise even them. Did I find any nuggets about the creation of I Wanna Be With You and Let’s Pretend....?

The Big Takeover has the distinct honor of premiering the live version of the classic “I Wanna Be With You.” 

Exclusive to The Big Takeover, the renowned Eric Carmen reveals the song’s backstory: “The band had just finished recording our first album, in New York, and returned to the suburbs of Cleveland, where we all lived. I knew we were scheduled to be back in the studio, in six months, to begin recording our second album, so I thought I better get right to work writing songs. I saw a Time magazine, with a picture of a teenage boy and girl on the cover, who looked like they had just had sex, and the feature story was something like “Teenage Sex!” I’d been listening to Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys a lot, and had become aware of the longing lyric content on songs like “Wouldn’t It Be Nice”, and I wanted to write something that conveyed that same kind of emotion, so I put the magazine cover on my piano, and sat down to write. Over the course of that weekend, I wrote “I Wanna Be With You” and “Let’s Pretend.” That photo on the cover of Time was pivotal.

• Like 1

Kirk   

Lew, good find! This looks familiar, but I can't say for sure that at least part of it isn't new...

• Thanks 1