Sign in to follow this  
Lew Bundles

Comments from purchasers of Essential...

It’s always interesting to hear the opinion of purchasers/fans...Here are some from Amazon.com of people that purchased ESSENTIAL...

Reviewed in the United States on March 26, 2014
Verified Purchase
For hardcore Eric Carmen fans like myself, there a four absolute gems on this CD. The awesome new song "Brand New Year," a song from Carmen's early band Cyrus Erie and two previously unreleased live songs.

There are seven songs from Raspberries, all of which are well-chosen if you are just looking for the hits. The majority of the songs come from Carmen's four solo albums he recorded for the Arista label. These songs are also well-chosen and best of all this CD contains the full-length album version of Carmen's biggest hit "All By Myself."

Most of the songs are re-mastered and sound great. The booklet is also very impressive with several photos and comments about each song written by Carmen himself.

I would just love to know why the top 40 hit "I Wanna Hear It From Your Lips" was not included. The song was on Carmen's 1984 Geffen label album which is only represented here by one song. There are also no songs included from the album "Winter Dreams" and I would have loved to have had a couple more rarities like "The Rock Stops Here".

If you are a casual fan, this is a great place to start. Hopefully after listening to this, you will want to pick up all of Eric Carmen's solo and Raspberries albums.
27 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on May 4, 2014
Verified Purchase
There is a laundry list of reasons to purchase The Essential Eric Carmen. The set features many of Eric's hits from throughout his career beginning with his early Cyrus Erie days, to the horribly underrated Raspberries, to his fabulous solo artist days to his long awaited comeback. Go All the Way, Boats Against Current, Change of Heart and Tonight Your Mine are just a few of my favorites. The second reason is that the songs have been beautifully remastered. Eric's vocals are sharper and the music is cleaner than on previous productions. This is certainly through no fault of the artist. But you can now hear the full beauty of the music that was there along.

The third reason to purchase the set are the liner notes Eric provided for each of the 30 songs, which range from rock to ballads, providing insight into what the was thinking when he wrote them or how he wanted them to sound. There are also comments from other artists who were (and are) fans including Bruce Springsteen, Paul Stanley (KISS), Slash, Courtney Love and others.

There are photos of memorabilia such as concert tickets, song lyrics and album covers. Finally, there is an anthology of color and black and white photos of Eric throughout his career featuring a cover from his first solo album, concert photos, and a candid photo of him recording his enchanting new song, A Brand New Year. A Brand New Year alone is enough of a reason for lovers of quality music to purchase this CD set. It's a beautiful story of overcoming adversity and looking forward to...what else... A Brand New Year! Eric's voice is as strong and powerful as ever.

Eric Carmen is a multi-talented artist. I highly recommend adding The Essential Eric Carmen to your music collection.
14 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on April 23, 2014
Verified Purchase
Nice addition to the Eric Carmen catalog. Although yet another "Hits" package, release does have some new live material, one new song, and one early rarity. In addition, most tracks are remastered. Liners notes have comments from Carmen on each individual track. Also included are comments from Bruce Springsteen, Paul Stanley, Courtney Love, Slash, and others.

The sound of the remastered tracks are an improvement, especially the guitars which come through much clearer. The previously unreleased live tracks are "Starting Over" and "That's Rock N' Roll" from The Bottom Line, NY 4/3/76. One nice surprise is the opening track "Get The Message", a 1969 Cyrus Erie single, first time I'd ever heard it. The one new track is "Brand New Year" recorded in December 2013, which Carmen describes as the first new song he's written in 18 years. (While nice to have any new material, I find it a bit sad that an artist with Carmen's gift for melody has not written anything new in that long a time.)

While I would have wished there were a lot more rare or unreleased tracks included, I think this release is geared to the average music fan, who may not be that familiar with the music of Eric Carmen. Hopefully, someone, someday releases a boxset retrospective. Eric Carmen is certainly an artist who deserves one.
5 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on May 7, 2014
Verified Purchase
Eric Carmen wrote and recorded one of the finest records of the 70's, 1977's "Boats Against The Current". It didn't do much commercially, but damned if it wasn't full of really well written piano ballads and excellent story songs. While he went on to record some fine material, "Boats..." was the peak of his creative output. It is represented by five terrific songs here. All this ignores the great power-pop he did with The Raspberries in the early 70's, some of which is also on this two-CD set. I'm not crazy about his later material, like "Lose Control" ( missing from this set for some reason ), but most of the songs here are quite appealing and deserving of public attention. Treat yourself to a great songwriter and pianist and get this set. Then, track down a copy of "Boats Against The Current" and indulge in his best work.
3 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on June 30, 2014
Verified Purchase
All right, that might be a bit strong, but I really believe Eric Carman was responsible for several iconic tunes from the seventies and the eighties that we all go along humming throughout our day. As the main voice of the Raspberries you know several of his songs starting with Go All The Way and running along with many more. As a solo artist, Carman took several twists and turns during his recordings (to some degree a la Todd Rundgren) but may be most well known for his solo song from Dirty Dancing. This collection can be found in the $14 range on Amazon and you should take advantage of it and buy it .
Comment Report abuse

Top international reviews

default._CR0,0,1024,1024_SX48_.png
AndrewNT
5.0 out of 5 stars Carmen true at last
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on July 20, 2015
Verified Purchase
Eric Carmen is mainly remembered for All By Myself and Hungry Eyes by most people in the UK. This CD gives an overview of most of his career. It does not include all his single releases but includes some rarer recordings from early bands and live in the 1970's. As a bonus there is 1 new song especially written for this compilation; Brand New Year.
As a singer/songwriter and musician Eric Carmen is still so underrated and certainly at his peak matches contemporaries like Billy Joel, Elton John, etc although he had a few hits and wrote songs others made famous he is often overlooked, something which needs rectification. This double CD which you can buy for less than £8 is a bargain.
Whilst some may complain it doesn't include all singles and any track from his most recent studio album, it does provide a good overview of a career including some live versions of both Raspberries and solo material which clearly outline he could cut it live as well as well as in the studio.
It would seem Eric Carmen didn't like being part of the LA scene and also had very clear views on what his music should sound like. He had disagreements with producers and record companies which probably didn't help his cause and is the most likely reason he has made only 6 original solo albums in 40 years (4 of them in a 5 year period between 1975 - 1980).
His music is exceptional and even when he is clearly being directed to be more commercial i.e. on his Change of Heart album he slips in a track like Desperate Fools.
If you are a fan of piano based ballads, tracks like Starting Over, Love is all that matters, Boats against the Current, Way we used to be and the aforementioned Desperate Fools really hit the mark, then there's the great All by Myself. There is rockier stuff from his days with the Raspberries and his fourth solo album the highly underrated Tonight Your Mine. Tracks from Boats against the Current and Change of Heart include some new remasters and the CD concludes with the new song; Brand New Year showing he hasn't lost his touch though sadly he states its the first new song he has written for 18 years (WHY?).
Definitely worth buying just for the rare stuff but if you want to discover an alternative to the more famous 1970's balladeers not many match Eric Carmen on song.
Helpful
Report abuse
Og Oggilby
5.0 out of 5 stars A fine introduction to a very underrated talent.
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on July 10, 2018
Verified Purchase
Eric Carmen is best remembered for being the writer of the fantastic Lonely Person's lament, 'All By Myself', and for the songs that he contributed to the 'Dirty Dancing' soundtrack. Well, I was a huge fan of The Raspberries, Carmen's band immediately before he went solo in the mid-seventies, and I knew him to be a fine composer of melodic pop, very Beatles-ish, but with a hard rocking undertow. This top value double set is really well compiled and programmed, going all the way (sorry for the pun) back to his sixties band Cyrus Erie, then through the Raspberries and on to his solo stuff. It contains several rarities and live recordings unique to this collection, and even if you have all his stuff, this is still worth acquiring for these tracks. A fine introduction to a very underrated talent.
Helpful
Report abuse
Darren Belton
5.0 out of 5 stars It is good to be able to get a cd of Eric Carmen.
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on June 17, 2016
Verified Purchase
Eric Carmen is a very good singer and songwriter. He had a very successful career in music when he sang with a group called The Raspberries and also had a successful solo career with songs such as All By Myself which was covered by Canadian singer Celine Dion and also Hungry Eyes which was used in the hit film Dirty Dancing which starred the late Patrick Swayze. Eric Carmen is one of the best singers and songwriters.
One person found this helpful
Helpful
Report abuse
keith mc
2.0 out of 5 stars eric carmen cd
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on March 15, 2019
Verified Purchase
not a good cd
Helpful
Report abuse
Tjoepke55
5.0 out of 5 stars these are the essential and recommended hits from the solo carreer from Eric Carmen
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on May 26, 2015
Verified Purchase
Yes indeed, these are the essential and recommended hits from the solo carreer from Eric Carmen. All in long versions.
One person found this helpful
Helpful
Report abuse

Load more international reviews