Sign in to follow this  
Lew Bundles

Fans trying to explain Raspberries influences and comparisons

rec.music.beatles › 

These songs by the Raspberries sound like the Beatles

zippl...@gmail.com 
11/10/14
With the first song, the chord changes sound like Lennon, and the guitar licks sound like Harrison in places. Eric Carmen is doing a McCartney vocal at end.

BlackMonk
11/10/14
It's a nice song, but it has the same same flaw that a lot of 70s and 80s songs do. It takes something that would have made a great 2 and 1/2 to 3 minute song and stretches it out into four minutes. 

jtees4
11/10/14
Both very Beatles like (though not quite as good). The end of the intro to the second one sounds identical to Wings "Baby I'm Amazed". Right at 10 seconds. A Paul sound alike, but the key is a bit too high for him. 

BlackMonk
11/10/14
It could be that none of the bands had more than a couple of great songs in them. A lot of 70s power pop bands had a song or two that I love, but every time I heard more, I was disappointed. For instance, I think youtube.com/watch?v=1XbqfSBMKUo is a great song, but the only other song by them that made any impression on me is "Yachting Type." It seemed like the philosophy behind the albums was "If you liked the hit, here it is, with some similar songs that you won't mind hearing." Would you consider the Television Personalities as power pop? They would definitely be an exception to both of our criticisms. 

hislop
11/10/14
I haven't heard a lot of The Raspberries, but that is a real 70s term, 'power pop' 

BlackMonk
11/10/14
I'd divide it into two periods. There's the first wave, which was mainly influenced by The Beatles, The Who, and other sixties groups, and I'd say that was roughly from The Raspberries though the very early 80s. Then, there was a second wave of post-REM groups that were influenced by the early part of the first wave and by New Wave groups, and who didn't stick as closely to the sixties sound, though it was still a big part of what they did. Compare "What I Like About You" to "Every Word Means No," for instance. 

I HAVE ALWAYS FELT THAT , IN GENERAL, THEIR BIGGEST INFLUENCE WERE BRIAN WILSON AND THE BEACH BOYS...ERIC SOLO AS WELL.

THE "COME ON" IN GATW IS RIGHT FROM PLEASE PLEASE ME!

I HEAR WHO ,ELTON JOHN ,BEATLES ,AND BEACH BOY,S MOSTLY

BUT THE BEACH BOYS ARE THE DOMINANT INFLUENCE