Sign in to follow this  
Kirk

Starting Over press release

Kirk   

A Starting Over test pressing with press release is currently on ebay. I've had one for awhile now, but what I found interesting is the difference in text between the one I have and the one on ebay. Mine has the first and fourth paragraph of the current ebay offering only. The ebay offering has a second and third paragraph that describe the music on side 1 and side 2.

I'm wondering if they added the descriptions after the shorter press release, or, if they took out the descriptions at the request of the band? What do you think?

It is interesting to read the CAM interpretation of side 1 and side 2. It describes side 1 as "...about the rock and roll business." It labels side 2 as "...comprised of love songs."

If you look at the songs on Starting Over with that mind set, it's pretty accurate!

So, which do you think came first- the shorter release or the longer release with the side 1 and side 2 additions?

Starting Over 3.1.jpg

Starting Over 3.jpg

Kirk   

Track listing...

Overnight Sensation (Hit Record)
Play On
Party's Over
I Don't Know What I Want
Rose Coloured Glasses

All Through The Night
Cruisin' Music
I Can Hardly Believe You're Mine
Cry
Hands On You
Starting Over

LC   

Interestingly, it was written (I'm led to believe) before Eric was urged to change the title of the first track from "Hit Record" to "Overnight Sensation." 

I wonder if it would have gotten more attention if it went out with the title "Hit Record".... We'll never know. Capitol supposedly thought it would be confusing to call a single "Hit Record," and might dampen its response. Who's to say it wouldn't have helped it? Number 1! 

Kirk   

My copy of the test pressing has the song written in as "Hit Record" (Overnight Sensation), so this was pretty early on. I too wish they had the guts to release the song as Hit Record- #1 indeed!