Vinnie B Trask

A SIMPLE QUESTION

PROBABLY ASKED BEFORE...……..

If you were stuck on a dessert Island and had a choice to listen to only Raspberries records or  only Eric's solo catalog....which would you choose..

VBT INC 2020

Kirk   

Actually, I don't think that one has been asked before...let me think on it.

Kirk   

Just went through the Raspberries catalog and Eric solo catalog to see which songs I couldn't live without. As is typical with Eric's albums, there is very little filler anywhere in his catalog, so, just going by sheer volume, there were more songs in his solo output that I had to have. But, it's not that simple. My top 3 songs are all in the Raspberries albums. My "desert island" album has always been "Starting Over", so that gives the nod to Eric's Raspberries contributions, but "Tonight You're Mine" and the 'Geffen' album always rank 2nd and 3rd for my desert island choice. I'm in a quandary. I can't live without either effort- Raspberries or Eric solo- but, if you put a gun to my head...I'll pick Raspberries. Ask me again tomorrow and I'll probably change my mind.

James   

Eric´s would be the one I´d listen to. Though it´s a tough call for sure. 

Kirk   

I think some of this is influenced by when you discovered Raspberries and Eric and what was going on in your life at the time. I was falling in love summer of ‘72 when I discovered Raspberries. I’m pretty sure both Bernie and James discovered Eric solo first. That’s an intangible you can’t minimize. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

I’m pretty sure both Bernie and James discovered Eric solo first. That’s an intangible you can’t minimize. 

100%, Kirk.

I'm sure I've told this story before. I was a big Eric Carmen fan. One day I heard some music that sounded good to my ear coming from my brother's bedroom. I opened the door and asked, "WHO is THAT?" To which he replied, "You idiot! This is the band that Eric Carmen was in before he went solo!" It was Raspberries' first album, and I immediately went out to find all four LPs and they became instant favorites of mine. 

Spring ahead several decades. I invite my brother to one of Raspberries' reunion shows at B.B. King's in NYC. I introduce my brother to Eric backstage. I tell Eric the story. My brother says, "Here is that exact album I was playing in my room when Bernie heard Raspberries for the first time. Can you sign it for me?"

Eric grabs a sharpie and writes, "To Jim, if not for your impeccable taste in music, none of this would have happened. Eric Carmen."

:cool:

Bernie

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

James   

I did discover Eric first, but immediately dove into the Raspberries catalog. So by the time Boats came out I had Eric´s first album, and 4 Raspberries albums. So not so sure, in my case, the sentimental reason applies. I just think Eric´s solo stuff is deeper, more thought provoking, more diverse ....and really, especially the first album...had a higher grade genius in the melody department. The negative to Eric´s solo is, to me, as Vinnie said,  his rocking was better via the group....though nothing the Raspberries did can hold a candle to the 2 minute climax of "No Hard Feelings".

James

1 hour ago, James said:

“nothing can hold a candle to the 2 minute climax”

James

James always trying to recruit for the Harem...

• Like 1

James   

Lew, in your case - at least it´s the word on the street - your "candle" is already melted down. : )

• Sad 1

Kirk   
12 minutes ago, James said:

Lew, in your case - at least it´s the word on the street - your "candle" is already melted down. : )

Wow, candle in the wind...snuffed out.

• Sad 1

It would be the Berries for me.  I played that greatest hits album TO DEATH throughout the 80’s when all their albums had been deleted and there was no internet to try and find them.  Those songs got me through some otherwise barren times musically and some difficult times personally.  

• Like 4

susie b   

This is a tough one...

Does The Essential EC count as solo???

If so, then you get Cyrus Erie, Raspberries and EC!!!

I knew there was a workaround.

😊

• Like 1

1 minute ago, susie b said:

This is a tough one...

😊

Great answer,, because if u had to pick a single cd  it would be my answer. and I have Both best of's

31 minutes ago, susie b said:

This is a tough one...

😊

I immediately thought of that too, but thought that would be cheating. If it's not, then it's my pick.  

• Thanks 1

Eric's solo music has  lighter touch to it. It is more into soft rock and easy listening genre.

The Raspberries were raw and had a harder edge to it. Even the ballads.. yet it had the benefit of strong songwriting and the powerful and appealing voice of Eric.

While I enjoy all types of music I do prefer harder edge and that is Why I would choose the Raspberries,

The reason If love essential is because you get the best of both worlds!!! (I'm sure it bothered the other Berries but he is somewhat justified!)

• Like 1

LC   

So, it’s not such a simple question for a lot of you. But it is for me: Raspberries. Eric was never better than when he had the intraband competition (and friction). All four Raspberries albums are so great, with such urgency and melody and drive. Plus you get those two brilliant live albums.

Eric solo started out so strong—two all-timers, especially Boats—before tapering off. And the output has been disappointing, if we’re being honest: Only one new album between 1985 and 2021 (Essential being a compilation).

So in my mind, for me, it’s not even a decision. 🙂

James   

For me, I agree with LC that the first 2 solos were all-timers.......the first solo, if you judge by melody strength, is the greatest album of all time. Boats is different, but just as good in its own way, maybe better. I think he stayed really strong with the COH and TYM albums. Both are awesome albums, for my taste. I do agree the next 2 albums were step downs, but that´s not a criticism. Just because they can´t match the quality of the first 4, doesn´t mean they aren´t very good albums. They in fact are good-very good albums.

I also probably like the solo stuff a little more than the group stuff because Eric was liberated to write/produce/perform what he wanted, with less restrictions, so we got to see more and deeper stuff from him solo. I love hard edged rock & roll, so I agree with LC and Vinnie that Raspberries were superior re: rocking, but overall solo gets the slight nod for me.

For me the lack of production between 1985 and today is a little confusing. But I´m not a music artist, and I´m for sure not Eric Carmen. They say creativity comes in quick spurts sometimes, sometimes longer "spurts"....and for people like Neil Diamond, the creativity never dies down. But not knowing Eric´s situation, his reasoning, etc, I try not to judge on this front, though sometimes I want to slap him and say PUT OUT SOME MUSIC, IT´S WHAT YOU DO!!   : )      ....but that´s just me being ignorantly judgmental, and fan selfish.

Anyway, good thread Vinnie.

James

Kirk   

Although I chose Raspberries first time around, I'm a sucker for a good ballad. Without counting ballads on each album, I think Eric solo had more. So, maybe today it's Eric solo for me!

• Like 1

James   

If you take the song "Starting Over" out of the equation, Kirk would be decisively Eric solo.  : )

Kirk   
1 hour ago, James said:

If you take the song "Starting Over" out of the equation, Kirk would be decisively Eric solo.  : )

You know me well. 

• Like 1

LC   

Just know that if you choose the solo catalog, you won't get "I Can Hardly Believe You're Mine."