Lew Bundles

Raspberries...Overrated?

This Cleveland scribe gets his ass handed to him by people in the “comment” section...Many familiar posters come to the Raspberries defense...(even Bernie)...

Melissa Bonfanti proves that “blood is thicker than water”...

The Raspberries are (gulp) overrated.

By Justin F. Farrar

Cleveland, you're gonna drink a traitor's blood and barbecue his ribs after reading the next sentence: The Raspberries, those local power-pop darlings from the '70s, are totally overrated. 

From Big Star to Badfinger, a Beatlesesque group that fails commercially has always been one of the rock scribe's wettest dreams. And after the Raspberries' demise in 1975, this is precisely the myth that rock critics started weaving around the group, which has developed a rabid cult following in the last 30 years. 

"The Raspberries cut through the epic pretensions and pomposity of '70s-era rock to proudly reclaim the spirit and simplicity of classic pop," the All Music Guideproclaims. But they were, the guide claims, "a band that . . . never quite lived up to its commercial promise." 

With the recent release of Live on the Sunset, Rykodisc's CD/DVD documenting the Raspberries' 2005 reunion in Los Angeles, the label inflates the band's myth to epic proportions. It claims the band influenced Kiss, Nirvana, Mötley Crüe, and the Sex Pistols, and the set includes endorsements from other rock deities: a mid-'70s photo of John Lennon sporting a Raspberries sweatshirt and liner notes from the Boss. 

"In the late '70s, I'd drive on Sunday nights to Asbury Park to sit in with Southside Johnny with 'The Raspberries Greatest Hits' firmly stuck in the cassette player," Springsteen writes. "Dismissed at the time of their chart dominance for having 'hits' (Fools!), they are THE great underrated power-pop masters." 

The band's members -- Mentor natives Eric Carmen, Wally Bryson, Dave Smalley, and Jim Bonfanti -- have allowed the critical gush to go straight to their heads. On the Raspberries' official website (www.raspberriesonline.com), they now count themselves "among the most influential bands in rock-n-roll history." 

From being seen as underdogs to possessing delusions of grandeur, the band and its legacy have completely severed themselves from truth. We need a double shot of ethanol, washed down with a tallboy of sodium pentothal. 

Contrary to claims by Springsteen -- as well as scribes like those of the All Music Guide, who once described the band as "virtually unknown" -- the quartet was not underrated; it was actually pretty damn successful. Between '72 and '74, the Raspberries scored four top-40 singles, including the mega-classic "Go All the Way," which hit no. 5. And Capitol Records has released no fewer than five greatest-hits packages since 1976. 

Most reasonable-minded rockers would label that success, but it never satisfied Capitol, the Raspberries, or their supporters in the music press. Just like Badfinger in the U.K., the band was expected to be the second coming of the Beatles. That's absurd in hindsight, but the Fab Four's breakup traumatized the pop world for years. In the early '70s, just about every label, including Capitol, the Beatles' American imprint, scoured the planet for the next John, Paul, George, and Ringo. Needless to say, the search never panned out. 

First off, dudes sporting helmet perms and matching disco suits (see the cover of the Raspberries' 1973 LP Fresh) could never replace such snazzy dressers as the Fab Four. 

More important, the Raspberries come off like a Vegas tribute to the British Invasion. On breezy, soft-focus pop like "Let's Pretend" and "I Wanna Be With You," Eric Carmen croons with all the hairy-chested schmaltz of a lounge singer; the dude magnifies the most saccharine tendencies of Paul McCartney's "Hello Goodbye." 

The Raspberries did cultivate some chops. The layered harmonies on their best tune, the epic "Overnight Sensation (Hit Record)," are worthy of the Beach Boys. The riffage underpinning "Ecstasy" and "Tonight" hammers away like vintage Mod rave-ups from the Who. 

But they're no "power-pop masters." They wrote only two kinds of tunes: sappy ballads about getting it on and anthemic rockers about rocking hard, driving cars, and getting it on. The band never possessed the songwriting depth and clever edge of Badfinger and Cheap Trick. And they sure as hell couldn't touch Big Star, a band that was as good as the Beatles. 

In the end, the Raspberries' modest talents achieved the fame they deserved. The band, as Springsteen unwittingly implies, wrote decent pop, perfect for cranking in the car. That's it. 

Chopping down a cherished band from a town in need of heroes is coldhearted -- no doubt about it. But saddling the Raspberries with an overblown rock and roll mythology goes against what the band represented: pure fun.

COMMENTS (39)

user_generic-thumb.gif

Ha! Mr Farrar...what is with the hair comment? Do you have any idea how people wore their in the early 70s? The fact that all of the bands you listed...THEMSELVES cited The Raspberries as a big influence totaly refutes your point that they were not much of an influence.Do you know what power pop is? It's strong melodic and upbeat ...with jangley or crunchy guitars with mainly boy-girl lyrics...in other words the Raspberries define the genre.Hmmmm let's see virtually any power pop band worth their salt of the last 25 years cites the Raspberries as a touchstone of power pop...along with Badfinger and Big Star...but I guess for your fine weekly you are the arbiter of that.Lastly..."Big Star was better than the Beatles" Hahahahahaha! While they were a great band this statement lets readers that may not be familiar with the Raspberries music to take anything you say in this review with a grain of salt...to put it mildy.

report5 likes, 3 dislikes   thumbsup_comment.png like thumbsdown_comment.png dislike
Posted by Steve Potocin on 08/15/2007 at 8:40 PM
user_generic-thumb.gif

The assertion that Big Star was "better than the Beatles" is not only misguided, but downright laughable. When music heavy weights such as Bruce Springsteen AND John Lennon heap praise upon someone that is nothing to be taken lightly. And yet somehow that's not enough. Hmmn, just what IS enough? In this day and age of disposable one hit wonders, American Idol, and rap the fact that the Raspberries still sound contemporary, even in the digital age, is testament to their enduring appeal. Very few people can say that their material doesn't sound "dated" even after thirty years and various changes in technology. Once again you prove that every music "scene" has a small town critic who is out of step with his audience and lives under the delusion that they are the avatar of cool. Actually I'm glad you have made such outlandish claims in your article. It ensures that you will most likely never be taken seriously as a music critic again.

report2 likes, 1 dislike   thumbsup_comment.png like thumbsdown_comment.png dislike
Posted by Robb on 08/15/2007 at 9:13 PM
user_generic-thumb.gif

Let me apologize for the misquote of "better Than The Beatles" when it was "As good as the Beatles". Not that it's any less silly. What is it with the Cleveland's weekly media that they can't embrace great bands from their hometown. The Berries were pretty much ignored back in the 70s...as were other great bands like The Pagans and Pere Ubu...who along with The Raspberries were very influential...25 years on and nothings changed.

report1 like, 0 dislikes   thumbsup_comment.png like thumbsdown_comment.png dislike
Posted by Steve Potocin on 08/15/2007 at 9:39 PM
user_generic-thumb.gif

Why does it seem like only Clevelandites see fit to "dis" Raspberries? This band is one of a scant few who produced music that can still be listened to, by and large, after 30 years; and who can still perform said music with the same quality that they performed and recorded it 30 years ago! Heck, they might even be better today than they were in the '70's... I guess the writer dismisses the words of Paul Stanley and Bruce Springsteen and Axl Rose and Jon Bon Jovi as mere noise, perhaps paid endorsements? The list of musicians who cite(d) Raspberries as a major influence in their careers did so paying honor and homage to a band that certainly has found a place in the hearts of adoring fans around the nation... and the world... Even if Cleveland seems to not really get it...

report2 likes, 0 dislikes   thumbsup_comment.png like thumbsdown_comment.png dislike
Posted by Paulie Mississippi on 08/15/2007 at 10:36 PM
user_generic-thumb.gif

Justin Farrar is 24 years old ...... nuff said.

report1 like, 0 dislikes   thumbsup_comment.png like thumbsdown_comment.png dislike
Posted by Dale on 08/15/2007 at 11:55 PM
user_generic-thumb.gif

I stand corrected, Justin Farrar is 41, which means he was about 6 or 7 when The Raspberries were in their heyday. Again .... nuff said.

Posted by Dale on 08/16/2007 at 12:03 AM
user_generic-thumb.gif

I thought a cardinal rule of journalism is factual accuracy. The title is: "Live on Sunset Strip." You couldn't get that simple fact correct, and the reader is supposed to lend credence to anything else you wrote? That's just lazy, and this whole thing comes off as nothing but an overly cocky slam of a band that you just don't like, and weren't around to appreciate. You're young. You'll learn. Go dry your ears, and clean the Royal Trux out of them. You'll hear better.

Posted by Kathy Hogya on 08/16/2007 at 12:08 AM
user_generic-thumb.gif

"The band never possessed songwriting depth ....." Eric Carmen penned songs have sold approximately 50 million records.

report3 likes, 0 dislikes   thumbsup_comment.png like thumbsdown_comment.png dislike
Posted by Dale (Utopia ) on 08/16/2007 at 12:08 AM
user_generic-thumb.gif

Carmen is a Mentor native? That is news to me. I guess this writer knows best.

Posted by cheese borger on 08/16/2007 at 8:05 AM
user_generic-thumb.gif

Big Star as good as the Beatles...even Alex Chilton himself would be laughing at that statement. I remember reading a review of the Raspberries final LP, Starting Over, in Circus Magazine back in 1975. They gave it a great review, but then rated it "Savory, but for Special Tastes." I guess that pretty much sums up the Raspberries. I guess they're not for everybody, but they were (and are) the best at what they do.

Posted by Dave on 08/16/2007 at 8:59 AM
user_generic-thumb.gif

......i suggest you remove the bug from your hind end and give the cd another listen!

Posted by t. allen on 08/16/2007 at 11:25 AM
user_generic-thumb.gif

Justin, Thanks for writing the article on the Raspberries in the Cleveland "Scene" magazine. Unfortunately, I must agree on many of your observations. In my opinion, over-inflated ego(s)supported by the few (sheep) followers of the band has led to this attitude. I supported and followed the "Raspberries" back in the early seventies in Cleveland and never imagined thirty-five years later the ego(s) would still exist. Do we not mature as adults or are we still stuck in the mid-life crisis? Thanks. Ron E. Duncan - Middlefield Ohio

report1 like, 1 dislike   thumbsup_comment.png like thumbsdown_comment.png dislike
Posted by Ron E. Duncan on 08/16/2007 at 2:06 PM
user_generic-thumb.gif

Ha! So Mr Duncan you agree with what? That those who said they were influenced by The Raspberries really were not? That the name of the record is 'Live At Sunset'? Perhaps the classic "The Raspberries are not power pop" Big Star is as good as the Beatles? Or the tone of sour grapes of the article? You used to be a fan..but now well those ego are out of control?? Huh? What does that mean? Care to explain?

Posted by Steve Potocin on 08/16/2007 at 6:25 PM
user_generic-thumb.gif

I guess since I don't live in Cleveland, my opinion won't matter much to you. That's alright, yours doesn't matter much to me. It has always amazed me how people will do somrthing outrageous just get attention. You obviously aren't very good at what you do, so kicking around a group that are at the very least home town heroes seems to have got you a little more of the attention you crave so much. It would have been one thing to say that you personally didn't "get" the mystique surrounding the Raspberries, but to ignore the comments of some of rock music's biggest names and think that your opinion would out weigh theirs, just shows you are either very foolish or very ignorant. JIM

Posted by Jim on 08/16/2007 at 7:11 PM
user_generic-thumb.gif

A little research would have shown you that it was not just the band or its fans who "claim" that some of the biggest acts in rock revere the Raspberries. It's actually true. Also, your sorry attempt to recast Springsteen's praise reeks and underscores your transparent agenda. Look, I could have handled criticism of this great band if it had been fair, somewhat interesting or insightful. That was a lazy hit job.

Posted by David on 08/16/2007 at 9:23 PM
user_generic-thumb.gif

May God Bless all "Raspberries" fans. Thanks! Ron E.Duncan (aka) VankyPanky

Posted by Ron E. Duncan on 08/16/2007 at 9:30 PM
user_generic-thumb.gif

Was this a CD review, or a bashing? I was made aware of this article through word of mouth, and all I can say is that this was nothing more than a personal vendetta. I have one question, did you even listen to the CD? Based on this supposed review... I would say no. You even ripped the liner notes! Mr. Farrar, I do not know if you are originally from Cleveland, or even how old you are, but next time, do your homework before you decide to spew your negativity. Their reunion was long overdue, and very well received, and they sound just as good today, as they did then, oh and not overrated. The Raspberries, and everyone connected to the band are much more relevant today then this once great "LOCAL" publication.

Posted by Ron on 08/17/2007 at 2:06 PM
user_generic-thumb.gif

Let's see, on the one hand we've got Bruce Springsteen calling Raspberries, "THE great underrated power pop masters" adding, "Their best records are as fun and sound as fresh today as when they were released. Soaring choruses, Beach Boys harmonies over crunchy Who guitars." On the other hand we have an obviously biased music critic writing for a FREE local newspaper who says, "they wrote only two kinds of tunes: sappy ballads about getting it on and anthemic rockers about rocking hard, driving cars, and getting it on." Who to believe, who to believe, who to believe… Well, Sorry Justin, I'm going with Springsteen!

Posted by Bernie Hogya on 08/18/2007 at 9:38 AM
user_generic-thumb.gif

Justin F. Farrar, getting the album's title wrong (it's actually "Live On Sunset Strip"), your rant about the band, you calling Big Star "as good as The Beatles" (Alex Chilton is a huge Raspberries fan, by the way, but maybe you didn't read his interview in the book "Eric Carmen: Marathon Man" by Bernie Hogya and Ken Sharp), and you writing off Raspberries all should drive fans of Cleveland music crazy. By the way, the band had four Top 40 hits, as you noted, only if you look only at the Billboard charts --- they had five Top 40 hits in Cashbox. Not influential? "Dude," to use a term you use twice in your "review," Raspberries concerts on their reunion tour were attended by Jon Bon Jovi, Paul Stanley, Rick Springfield, Max Weinberg, Little Steven, and others, as well as by members of Fotomaker, The Romantics, The Sex Pistols, The Go-Gos and other groups. When the band played Carnegie Hall in 1973, members of Kiss, The Rascals and Todd Rundgren were in the audience. Axl Rose often plays Eric's "Everything" on stage. Frank Sinatra covered three of Eric's songs. In fact, while selling 50 million records, Eric Carmen's songs have been covered by Sheryl Crow, Jewel, The Bay City Rollers, Shaun Cassidy, John Travolta, Paul Anka, Celine Dion, Frankie Valli, Olivia Newton-John, Peter Cetera, Diana Ross, Patti LaBelle, and hundreds of others. Eric's "All By Muself" has been played on radio more than two million times, according to BMI. Eric Carmen a "lounge singer"? Not hardly --- we are talking about a guy that Ringo Starr asked to tour with him, and a band who so excited its audience back in 1974 that Kieth Moon of The Who came out of the audience to sit in on the drums with! Raspberries "over-hyped"? Well, Rolling Stone named "Overnight Sensation (Hit Record)" to its Top 100 Singles Of All-Time. Spin Magazine named named "Go All The Way" (which Alex Chilton loves) to its own Top 100 Singles Of The Rock Era list. But your lack of support for this Cleveland artist is duly noted. Cleveland Scene meant something in the '70s and '80s when Jim Girard and others worked there. My opinion of this once fine publication just got flushed down the toilet after reading your rant here. Raspberries over-hyped? Certainly not by you or Cleveland Scene these days it seems. But they deserve the rave reviews "Live On Sunset Strip" is getting in USA Today, Entertainment Weekly, Billboard, The Cleveland Plain Dealer (great local publication, dude, and John Soeder knows how to support local artists) and elsewhere (everywhere else but in Cleveland Scene). You're entitled to your opinion. It really doesn't matter to me after this rant you wrote. Raspberries are more than "pure fun" to me --- these guys (Eric Carmen, Wally Bryson, Dave Smalley and Jim Bonfanti) are talented musicians and songwriters. Like Joe Walsh recently said, "We love those guys!" Don Krider

Posted by Don Krider on 08/18/2007 at 10:17 AM
user_generic-thumb.gif

This so called "review" reaks of an unknown "critic" writing for a small unknown (outside of Cleveland) free rag and maybe trying to garner attention. Maybe by slamming a band that hails from your own hometown, you hope to get noticed by another publication? In that case, go write for Rolling Stone. Since they're critics no longer no what "good" music is any more either!

Posted by Jeff Morgan on 08/18/2007 at 12:13 PM
user_generic-thumb.gif

Farrar's an idiot and a poor journalist. Not because he doesn't like the Raspberries, but his misinformed comments and factual errors. That sweatshirt wasn't airbrushed on Lennon. Springsteen says the Raspberries are underrated, Farrar says overrated... do the math.

Posted by Steve Rychard on 08/18/2007 at 12:48 PM
user_generic-thumb.gif

Posted on Amazon by a critic that has seen "hundreds and hundreds" of concerts.. "Coupled with the sheer talent of each band member at their craft, spilling over this record in bucketfuls, this is perhaps the greatest live power pop record ever made. If Cheap Trick's "Live At Budokan" has an older brother, this is it. Grab the deluxe version before they're gone!" Farrar says they're no Cheap Trick. The sounds of people rushing to Farrar's defense isn't exactly deafening, nor is the display of guts by Farrar as he's to chicken to post a rebuttal in his sinking ship.

Posted by Steve Rychard on 08/18/2007 at 1:01 PM
user_generic-thumb.gif

Raspberries "overhyped"? No, more like "constantly pissed on/ignored"--at least by the local music media, who are too busy flogging this year's here-today-gone-tomorrow "hot" band to recognize the value of what they have right in their own backyard. Sadly, this is a pretty typical Cleveland "music critic"'s view of the band, written as if the author is ashamed that one of the best-known bands from his town is one that devoted itself largely to songs about teenage love and lust rather than about, well, you know, important topics. Art. Society. Politics. Existential angst. Stuff like that. Forget that rock 'n' roll started out being all about teenage love and lust and frustration and good times...oh well, people don't complain that Chuck Berry never evolved beyond songs about that stuff. They listen to him still. And all this, of course, completely ignores the fact that the Raspberries are alive again and can go in any direction they want...My goodness. Going to blow off a band just because they once had poufy hair and matching suits. Looked at any pictures of the Beatles from 1964?

Posted by Trindy on 08/18/2007 at 2:27 PM
user_generic-thumb.gif

I just read Mr Farrar’s article and found it sad and disturbing. Not about what it said about the Raspberries but what it said about Cleveland. Regarding the article, I would not be surprised to find that Mr. Farrar doesn’t like classical music and, therefore, considers the George Szell and Loren Maazel Cleveland Orchestra’s overrated and nothing special. What I found distressing about the subject article is that it is the same kind of junk that was written over 30 years ago when the general attitude was, “if it came out of Cleveland, it can’t be any good” (and I’m not just talking about music). One would expect that, over time, people would stop degrading its citizens in an attempt to prove how inferior the city is. Cleveland, even with its problems, is a marvelous city with a combination of world class cultural institutions and a quality of life that does not exist elsewhere in this country. The editors of the Cleveland Scene should be ashamed and embarrassed by their allowing this article to go to print. The article can be categorized as a blatant attempt at character assassination in order to create controversy in order to boost circulation and by publishing it they have denigrated the quality of their product. I want to assure the editors and owners that I will avoid picking up their publication the next time I’m at the supermarket checkout counter.

Posted by martin on 08/18/2007 at 3:02 PM
user_generic-thumb.gif

I have reconsidered my earlier post (#24) and would like to make the following retraction. The next time I'm at my supermarket checkout counter, I WILL pick up a copy of the Scene so that I know who's advertised products I should not buy.

Posted by Martin on 08/18/2007 at 3:58 PM
user_generic-thumb.gif

Wow, such a lot of vitriol aimed at a band from Cleveland who is getting some deserved recognition. While I do not think the Raspberries approached The Beatles in greatness, nor even Badfinger, they were undoubtedly one of the better 70's bands. "Let's Pretend" and "Go All the Way" are excellent power pop records. And of course, like all hipper-than-thou rock "journalists" you had to get your slam at Paul McCartney in there, too. That's just so old. And Big Star--"a band as good as the Beatles"? Who the hell are they? I've never even heard of them. Yeah, they must have been pretty fab. And am I hallucinating, or wasn't Eric Carmen from South Euclid (Brush High)? Getting your facts wrong doesn't make you look too swift.

Posted by HappyBunny on 08/19/2007 at 5:23 AM
user_generic-thumb.gif

Ok, they were not Beatles, but I still think they were very good. Incredible catchy and they often used nice harmonies. I have ordered they new DVD. Ingo

Posted by Ingo on 08/19/2007 at 7:38 PM
user_generic-thumb.gif

Boy, Justin thought Al Quaeda was a dangerous group, till he stirred the nest of the Raspberries faithful...Cmon, Dude! The master musicianship, the quality and variety of songwriting, Eric Carmen's knack for catchy choruses and bridges (And he wrote even better tunes as a solo artist),...What's not to praise, Oh Cynical One?

Posted by Tony Cartmill on 08/20/2007 at 10:26 PM
user_generic-thumb.gif

All opinions and critiques are appreciated. Thanks. VankyPanky

Posted by Ron E. Duncan on 08/21/2007 at 11:00 AM
user_generic-thumb.gif

The Raspberries "modest talent?" Wow. The so-called author of this article obviously knows very little about music in general and even less about journalism (wrong title, Eric Carmen being from Mentor etc., etc.). Par for the course for one of Cleveland's crappy free publications. People who really know music know the true Raspberries' legacy. I look forward to meeting the author at his new job -- wrapping Subway sandwiches.

Posted by Barry Goodrich on 08/21/2007 at 3:00 PM
user_generic-thumb.gif

Why would the Scene want to publish Farrar's "review"? Obviously it got the "Berries fans going strong. For me, it's been years since I listened to anything other than their singles, but the live album made my summer! That got me to buy their four albums on CD and to start listening closely to the contributions of their various lead singers and songwriters (not just Eric). They really are quite unbelievable, and totally loyal to Cleveland - you can be very proud of them. The new Raspberries album also got me to re-watch the video story of Badfinger, hoping for some similarly-uplifting power pop. Instead, and regretfully, we are reminded of a manager's screwing of the group, two suicides, one member who just died in his sleep at 56 (my age), and the fourth member still "performs" as Badfinger. Regardless of the wonderful music that they made, I'm not in the mood... Back to the Raspberries - the only thing that could improve on this summer's release would be for them to continue to tour. I'd find them somewhere, hopefully near Central New York. Also, their full-concert DVD needs to be sold at regular prices - not $125. In any case, it's a great story (but what's with Wally's wad of gum?), that appears at this point to have reached a musically-happy resolution. It's one of the best stories to come around in a long time.

Posted by Doug Johnson on 08/22/2007 at 8:16 AM
user_generic-thumb.gif

While it may be true that record labels were "scouring the earth" for the next Beatles, a search that was fruitless since only the Beatles can be the Beatles, Raspberries were just trying to be Raspberries..not the Beatles. Much of the reason that some say Raspberries never lived up to the expectations is that those who had those expectations, labels and media types, were comparing them to the Beatles. Capitol tried to feed that monster by releasing singles that fit that mold, when I believe that their albums held much brighter gems...but those didn't fit "the new Beatles" image. Songs like "Nobody Knows", "I Saw The Light" and "I'm A Rocker"...were different than "Go All The Way". They were great songs that showed Raspberries to be unique and original. As for their songwriting not being up to the task.....that's sheer nonsense. "MM-Bop" was a bigger hit than any of the Raspberries singles. Does that mean it was a better song?? Not!! Songwriting talent should not be judged by commercial success alone. It is an art..a craft. Does it stand the test of time? Raspberries songs have. Do others try to emulate that art? Absolutely!! Many have tried to emuilate and tried to capture the energy and allure of Raspberries music. But as with the Beatles, many have tried to follow in Raspberries footsteps, but no other band is Raspberries. It's impossible. They are unique and original. Influenced by those that went before them?? Sure, they were. The Beatles certainly were. Being influenced doesn't make them failures are "wannabes". Artists are influenced to go out and make something new, different and better. Raspberries didn't want to be the Beatles. But unfortunately, that is exactly what Capitol Records wanted. Love 'em or hate 'em Raspberries are Raspberries. Count me among those that loved their music then and still love it today.

Posted by Bob Palumbo on 08/25/2007 at 7:46 PM
user_generic-thumb.gif

Check out my pro Carmen response http://bradlaidman.com/?p=77

Posted by Brad Laidman on 08/26/2007 at 12:17 AM
user_generic-thumb.gif

The Raspberries promo video is online if anyone wants to see and hear the band playing live (samples five songs from the album): http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=2010652898 Don Krider :) Die-hard Raspberries fan

Posted by Don Krider on 08/28/2007 at 3:09 PM
user_generic-thumb.gif

I have read many reviews about the Raspberries over the years. They have ranged from outstanding to fair, but none have come close to the insane babble of Justin F. Farrar in his article, 'Why the Hype.' His article is based only on his opinion and not fact. The Raspberries don't have to "claim" they have influenced the numerous bands and artists that have been loyal fans because those artists have shown their support by attending their concerts, wearing the band name proudly on their shirts, and writing liner notes for their CD. Mr. Farrar attacked not only the band’s music, but also their outfits, and their “modest talents.” I would say that a band with “modest talents” would not be able to pack venues with sold out shows after 30 years out of the spotlight. The only “modest talent” I can see is Mr. Farrar’s writing talent. While I realize we all are entitled to our own opinions, it is disheartening that Scene Magazine would allow Mr. Farrar to write an article that does nothing to support one of Cleveland’s own. My hope is that Clevelanders, whether Raspberries fans or not, will realize that Mr. Farrar’s article is nothing more than an editorial. It does not review their new CD, Live on the Sunset STRIP, but rather fills the page with incessant ramble. Clevelanders have two choices, either listen to the opinions of Mr. Farrar, a writer for a free Cleveland magazine or Bruce Springsteen, a rock icon. Seems simple enough to me.

Posted by Cherise (Bonfanti) Goodrich on 09/01/2007 at 10:24 PM
Posted by Don Krider on 09/04/2007 at 6:00 PM
user_generic-thumb.gif

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Even VankyPanky although contrary to a few "Raspberries" members and fans beliefs. Thanks! Ron E. Duncan (aka) VankyPanky

Posted by Ron E. Duncan on 09/05/2007 at 10:00 AM
user_generic-thumb.gif

Mr Justin F. Farrar, I can tell that you are the master of rock and roll! You comment that John Lennon (I REPEAT, JOHN LENNON), "a mid-70s photo of John Lennon sporting a Raspberries sweatshirt and liner notes from the boss." I'm not sure, but I think both John Lennon and Bruce Springsteen are a HUGE part of music history. What a tribute to the Raspberries! Gosh, only John Lennon and Bruce Springsteen. The Raspberries should be insulted! Your article really impressed me! Cleveland, OH. In need of heros? Joe Walsh, Arsenio Hall, Thomas Edison, Jim Tressel, Lebron James, Drew Carey, James Garfield, and even Halle Berry. They range from President of the United States to comedians. We don't "need" heroes. We are just lucky to have so many! What city are you from Justin? You obiously did not do enough reasearch. Are you sure all the berries are Mentor natives? Guess what, they are not all from Mentor! If you would have reviewed the new CD "Live on the Sunset Strip" and then wrote your article, I would be fine with that. Everyone has their own opionion to music. However, you mock what the legends said about the band and the CD. You even said that the band was "actually pretty damn successful." Can you explain to me why you have a problem with the band? If you are a true writer, please do not refer any man as "the dude." I am sure there are better adjectives to describe a male other than "the dude". Also,how many bands in history sported matching outfits? A lot! Even the Beatles! What is so wrong about that? Take a look back in musical history to see what bands dressed the same. I don't see you bashing them. In conclusion, you should really do more research to your writing. In my own words I broke down your "reveiw" of the Raspberries, in my own opinion. I also know that the Raspberries have a gold record. What is your comment to that? I think the fans of The Raspberries know a little more than you do...maybe next time you will report on that facts from the fans, and the legends. Or their gold record.

Posted by Melissa Bonfanti on 09/05/2007 at 10:40 PM
  • Thanks 1

James   

Very entertaining reading the responses. Hollies  (Steve Potocin) was great, so was Tony Cartmill...and all of them.

The Rasberries were a fairly great band mainly due to the talents of Mr. Eric Carmen.

But they were too short lived. They were really active for 4 years  which included replacing half the band.

But during that time they made great music in the rock and power pop field.

Kirk   

As I was reading this I kept expecting to find my response. 4 pages later, nothing...then I realized this was right before my Mom passed away. One of the few times I was unable to contribute to the forum.