Vinnie B Trask

Wiiliam Shatner 1974 tour bus tour

When I was a teenager living in Staten island and liked the original Star Trek series. So when I saw Bill Shatner was going to appear at Wagner college I decided to attend.

He showed up in a Tour bus he claimed he was living in. He came with 5 reels of Star trek episodes and had a guy run the thread and play several episodes.  He then  came out and asked the crowd of maybe 45 people to sit down, close their eyes while he did an acting exercise.

He quickly realized nobody there was interested in his exercise and said what do you guys want from me. You want to hear about star trek,...ask away. and hour later he left. I remember he referred to the female actresses and blonds or brunettes and did not remember their names.

When asked if there would be a Star trek movie in the future he said it was possible but Leonerd Nimoy was holding out but thought he would change his mind. years later the movie was made which led to sequels.

Never found anything info on why he came to that college with a very low turn out...or any evidence that he was touring around doing this to this day.

• Thanks 1

susie b   

Bill Shatner's career stumbled after the original Star Trek, and it was in the time you mention, he was in pretty dire straights.

Found this snippet in his Wikipedia article that confirms what I had heard.

Screenshot_20200118-004037.png

• Like 2

James   

I followed him on twitter for a month or so, about a year or so ago, he was direct and brutal with his tweets, and very sharp tongued, ......in a good way, and to my liking actually.

susie b   

A college friend who is now a screenwriter told me that Shatner has an incredible ability to know a script after just a single reading.

Star Trek was cancelled on NBC in 1969 despite poor ratings.  In the Summer of 1971, fans of that show wanted a reunion or some sort which I heard back then. Then in the Summer of 1976, both Leonard Nemoy & Deforest Kelley were talking about a comeback reunion of sorts which I heard on the radio BUT William Shatner declined for comment.