Sign in to follow this  
Lew Bundles

A Couple Of Bonfanti Points of Info

Make sure you scroll all the way down the page...A few bits of info from the old days that I didn’t know...

Jim Bonfanti

James Alexander Bonfanti (born December 17, 1948 in Windber, Pennsylvania) is a rock drummer, best known as a member of the band Raspberries.

Bonfanti's music career began in 1965 when he saw The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show, which eventually led him to join a band called "The Mods", later renamed The Choir, their recording of "It’s Cold Outside" reached the national charts in 1967. In 1970, Bonfanti, Wally Bryson, Dave Smalley and Eric Carmen formed Raspberries who made four albums, eight singles, many road trips (including Carnegie Hall), national and international success, including a gold record for their major hit "Go All the Way".

Following two albums both released in 1972, creative tension came to a head sparked largely by Carmen's creative dominance over the contributions of fellow members. After the release of the Raspberries' third album, Side 3, Smalley and Bonfanti departed Raspberries to form their own band, Dynamite.

As of 2015 Bonfanti resides in Mentor, Ohio.

RELATED TOPICS

Go All the Way (song)

"Go All the Way" is a single by American pop-rock group Raspberries, released in July 1972 and written by band leader Eric Carmen. The song reached the Top 5 on three principal US charts: number 5 on the Billboard Hot 100, number 4 on Cashbox and number 3 on Record World; the single sold more than 1.3 million copies. It was their second single release, their all-time biggest US hit, appeared on their debut LP, Raspberries; because of its sexually suggestive lyrics, considered risqué for the day, the song was banned by the BBC. The tune ranked at number 33 on Billboard's Top 100 Singles of 1972 year-end list. In 1989, Spin magazine named "Go All the Way" in its list of the "100 Greatest Singles of All Time", ranking it at number 91. "Go All the Way" appeared in Blender magazine's July 2006 issue as one of its "Greatest Songs Ever". The song was performed on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, Live in 1974, it was performed on The Mike Douglas Show. "Go All the Way" has been featured in three movies. Director Cameron Crowe, a Raspberries fan, used the song in his 2000 film Almost Famous

The Killers recorded another version of the song for the 2012 film Dark Shadows, an adaptation of the 1966–1971 TV series Dark Shadows. The song appears in the 2014 Marvel Studios film Guardians of the Galaxy. In interviews with hard rock/metal personality Eddie Trunk, he states that this song sparked his interest in music due to the distorted guitar riffs."Go All the Way" was included on the Raspberries Pop Art Live CD set from their reunion concert recording, November 26, 2004, at the House of Blues in Cleveland, released August 18, 2017. "Go All the Way" was recorded by the American melodic rock band From the Fire. Matthew Sweet and Bangles member Susanna Hoffs included a faithful rendition of the song in their 2009 collaboration Under the Covers, Vol. 2.

Kirk   

Looks like some of the article is missing? Can we have the link back- I'll copy and paste what I read... 

Kirk   

O.k., call me crazy, but the restored link takes you to an article that doesn't look the same as it did the other day- you could scroll down and read comments from Klawon. This time, you have to click on the Choir link to access what looks to be the same comments from Danny. Here's at least part of what I read originally: 

Klawon recalls: So we began playing songs by the Beatles, the Who, Stones, Zombies, Troggs, and Moody Blues. If they were from England, we played it. We had this song list that was unbelievable... And everybody alternated instruments, depending on what song. We'd have that written on [index] cards, as to who played what on what song.[2]

In the summer of 1966, the band traveled to Chicago, where they recorded their first single with "It's Cold Outside" (written by bandleader Dann Klawon) on the "A" side, which was originally released on Canadian-American Records.[3] According to Klawon: I used to write quite a bit then, and one day I was thinking of some sort of theme to use with the moon/spoon, boy/girl lyrics. I decided to go with a weather analogy.[2] While there, they discovered that a Chicago band called The Modernaires had shortened their name to The Mods, so they renamed themselves The Choir;[2][3] the song was hugely popular in Cleveland and topped the Cleveland charts for six weeks; the song did quite well throughout the Midwest, particularly after the re-release of the single on Roulette Records in early 1967. By the spring of 1967, "It's Cold Outside" peaked at No. 68 on the Billboard Charts and at No. 55 on the Cash Box charts, and it even made the CHUM Charts in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. (The record peaked at #25 on the local chart of CKLW in Windsor, Ontario as well).

• Thanks 1