Sign in to follow this  
Lew Bundles

Are The Raspberries1970’s successors to early Beatle music?

I'm not sure I like the phrasing of the question. The Beatles fashioned a new kind of pop/rock sound that SO many fell in love with. Bands were formed because there were new building blocks to use. Most of these bands weren't trying to necessarily duplicate the Beatles or be Beatles sound-a-like's, but they were interested in the blueprint. But as Eric has stated many times, by the time the Beatles broke up, bands were straying from that. What the Raspberries did, in my opinion, was to re-introduce that blueprint. Honestly, I never hear Raspberries music and think they sound much like the Beatles. They were pretty unique really by using a recipe that included a little Beatles, a little Who, a little Beach Boys, etc. and making a NEW sound.

• Like 1

The answer is no. Having said that, the Raspberries utilizes the sound of the early Beatles as well as but to a lesser extent  The Who, Elton John. The bottom line is while Eric ripped off the Beatles and other pop  groups to create those songs, He is still a great lead singer, songwriter and musician and to me one of the best bands of the 1970s. And yes that makes the bands sound original.

I hear the influences in the songwriting and they definitely should have been the next great thing, but aside from their demos and a handful of later songs like "I Saw The Light" and "Nobody Knows" I don't hear when people say "I thought that was the Beatles". I always thought badfinger tried to sound like the Beatles, while Raspberries tried to write like them.

• Like 1