Lew Bundles

Roxette Singer Died

Roxette singer Marie Fredriksson dies aged 61

Roxette lead singer Marie Fredriksson, a musician who "painted songs in the most beautiful colours",  has died 17 years after first being diagnosed with a brain tumour.

The Swedish star, who formed the chart-topping band with Per Gessle in 1986, died on Monday morning aged 61, her management said.

Roxette were best known for hits including Joyride, The Look and power ballad It Must Have Been Love, which featured in the soundtrack for Pretty Woman, starring Julia Roberts and Richard Gere.

Paying tribute, Gessle said things "would never be the same" without his bandmate.

"Time goes by so quickly," he said. "It's not that long ago we spent days and nights in my tiny apartment in Halmstad, listening to music we loved, sharing impossible dreams. And what a dream we eventually got to share!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Very sad..."Must've Been Love" has deep significance for me, though I have to admit I was shocked to find out they did "The Look", always thought that was Prince and Sheena Easton.

susie b   
4 hours ago, blackhawkpat said:

Very sad..."Must've Been Love" has deep significance for me, though I have to admit I was shocked to find out they did "The Look", always thought that was Prince and Sheena Easton.

Different songs, Pat.