Lew Bundles

Frankie Valli

Went to see Frankie Valli this past Sat.night...For a guy in his 80’s, he does a pretty good job...Tony Orlando was in the crowd and was introduced by Valli...

The son of a gun has a million hits...

Trivia...The Four Season were the only musical act to have a number 1 on the Billboard charts before the Beatles hit the charts(pre ‘64), during the Beatles reign(‘64-‘70) and after the Beatles broke up(post 1970)...

I will entertain guesses and will butt in only when someone posts the correct songs...Remember, these are Four Seasons records, not Valli solo...

Kirk   

I know the post 70's song- it kept Eric from becoming #1 on the Billboard chart!

I could name a couple of them from 64-70.

The pre-64 hit would be a guess at this point...

I was in business class on a flight with Valli once. Up close he looked pretty good for his age. Obviously, he's had some work done...but he was definitely looking good!

Bernie

PS: I'll never get over his "December, 1963 (Oh What a Night)" single holding "All By Myself" back from hitting #1 in December '75. Back then it was all payola...and I guess Clive couldn't go toe-to-toe with the deep pockets of Warner Bros.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Raspbernie said:

PS: I'll never get over his "December, 1963 (Oh What a Night)" single holding "All By Myself" back from hitting #1 in December '75. Back then it was all payola...and I guess Clive couldn't go toe-to-toe with the deep pockets of Warner Bros.

Don’t be a sore loser, ...

LC   

But Lew... because of that, we've all lost the chance to say refer to ABM as, "a No. 1 hit,," or a "chart-topper..."

Unless we go by Cashbox or Record World, the competing charts, where ABM did reach the mountaintop. 

So I too always think of the obstinance of "December 1963" in its No. 1 spot as ABM was pushing from underneath.

Interestingly, one song is upbeat and joyous — "December 1963" had nostalgia, storytelling, and an unforgettable liaison (all attributes of "Go All the Way," when you think about it). And the other song is the polar opposite... almost suicidal. 

LC   

By the way, we can't let a thread called "Frankie Valli" go too long without a reference to his cover of "Boats Against the Current." He showed good taste in picking up this one... but who put all that makeup on his face for the album's cover photo? 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

susie b   

The makeup artist and stylist were probably told to try and make the 43 year old Valli look marketable to the disco era kids.

This was 1977.  I think the photo shoot crew was channeling Danny Terrio!

I do like Frankie.  I used to play the Four Seasons' Story album a lot.

But... like many other famous vocalists who have attempted an EC penned "sad song", Valli fails, IMHO.

He is in good company, but they fail.

There is just something indescribable... an essence, a pitch, a tone that is so absolutely and soulfully pure and emotionally jam-packed when EC sings, that all the others lack.

It is his song, and he has opened a vein and bled his personal pain on the page.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

James   

If we compare covers of "Boats..."  to Eric´s version the cover will always look bad. But truth is Valli´s version is the best cover I´ve heard so far. Olivia had potential, her voice could have been perfect for a blow out version of the song,  but the way they produced / arranged the song, including how she sang it, was pretty bad, so it didn´t come close to its potential. There are criticisms I have of Valli´s version, but overall, it´s pretty darn good, imho. 

Thanks LC, for some reason I wasn´t even aware that he covered "Boats....".

James

• Like 1

James   

PS "December ´63".....was a better song than ABM, for my tastes.          ok.....................................                     ::::::: ready - me, for the tar and feathering::::::     : )

Truth is I like ABM a lot, I like GATW, IWBWY and Hungry Eyes.....Eric´s biggest hits outside of NGFILA and MMLC. But for my tastes, they are well down in the bottom 50% of Eric Carmen
tunes in my ranking. 

James

• Haha 1

susie b   
8 hours ago, James said:

PS "December ´63".....was a better song than ABM, for my tastes.          ok.....................................                     ::::::: ready - me, for the tar and feathering::::::     : )

Truth is I like ABM a lot, I like GATW, IWBWY and Hungry Eyes.....Eric´s biggest hits outside of NGFILA and MMLC. But for my tastes, they are well down in the bottom 50% of Eric Carmen
tunes in my ranking. 

James

Good thing we all speak Carmenese!

That list of initialisms could cause severe brain cramps in the uninitiated.

:eyecrazy:

• Haha 2

susie b   

I just don't care for the voices of other male vocalists singing EC songs.  

To my ear, their voices are just wrong.

These folks are fine with their own material, but not his.

I know Peter Cetera has a large fan base, but his version of Forever Tonight makes me cringe.

I enjoy both "Oh What A Night" and obviously, "All BY Myself', but let's be honest, ABM is still getting covered and airplay forty years later and I haven't hear anyone cover "OWAN"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/22/2019 at 0:54 PM, Lew Bundles said:

Or this one...An EC penned tune...

I bought this album simply because I saw Eric's name on the back in the store. Pretty good album, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1