Sign in to follow this  
Lew Bundles

Bonfanti/Smalley Charity Record

I distinctly remember Jim and Dave, shortly after leaving the Raspberries, made a long playing single or record, that might have been a holiday charity piece with other local musicians...Does anybody know about this?...

• Like 1

Kirk   

I was out of town for a few days, otherwise I would have replied sooner.  Oh, wait- you already knew that- saw your reply on the 'Morro Bay' post...

• Thanks 1

susie b   

I see Kevin Raleigh in the credits of this record.

Kevin worked with Jim & Dave after they left the Raspberries.  I know they recorded, but I think that the album failed to launch.

• Thanks 1

LC   

This is so cool—great thread, Susie! I didn't know about this record. Looks like it came on the heels of Band Aid and We Are the World.

Two other Raspberries connections show up: Billy Sullivan (where have you gone, Billy?) and Jennifer Lee, who looks spectacular. Also cool to see Donnie Iris on there—I didn't know he was from Cleveland. And, of course, it was cool to see Ben Orr of the Cars on this record. Orr had a great voice, per "Drive," along with a couple of other Cars hits that Ric Ocasek didn't sing. And I loved his solo album from 1986, The Lace. It was heavy on synthesizers, but that was the era. Within it are some nice songs, particularly "Skyline":

youtube.com/watch?v=W4pDWgIlBRA  

susie b   

Jennifer Lee sings with Debi Lewin, who is the extremely talented sister of my buddy and Beau Coup piano man, Dennis Lewin.

Speaking of Beau Coup, this charity record also includes BC vocalists,  brothers Frankie and Tom Amato (not to be confused with Cleveland drummer and founder of Rock Relief, Tommy Amato.).

The Cleveland rock scene is pretty tight and has that friendly Midwest comaraderie, well for the most part, anyway.

:)

On 11/14/2019 at 10:24 AM, LC said:

This is so cool—great thread, Susie! I didn't know about this record. Looks like it came on the heels of Band Aid and We Are the World.

Two other Raspberries connections show up: Billy Sullivan (where have you gone, Billy?) and Jennifer Lee, who looks spectacular. Also cool to see Donnie Iris on there—I didn't know he was from Cleveland. And, of course, it was cool to see Ben Orr of the Cars on this record. Orr had a great voice, per "Drive," along with a couple of other Cars hits that Ric Ocasek didn't sing. And I loved his solo album from 1986, The Lace. It was heavy on synthesizers, but that was the era. Within it are some nice songs, particularly "Skyline":

youtube.com/watch?v=W4pDWgIlBRA  

Donnie isn't actually from Cleveland but from Pittsburg, PA. However, Donnie has always been considered an "honorary Clevelander" by many of us as he's played here tons of times thru the years and "Ah Leah!" and "Love Is Like a Rock" still get lots of airplay on our Classic Rock stations.

It also didn't hurt that Donnie was also managed by Mike Belkin who also managed one of Cleveland's native sons, Michael Stanley.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1