Lew Bundles

Great comments on Scott McCarl CD

James   

Wasn´t really familiar with it, but just read the reviews and they are stellar. I WANT THIS CD....but it´s going for $60 on amazon.  Too much for this boy. Will put it on my cd waiting list.

Thanks for the heads up Lew!

James

It's an extraordinarily good CD! Every track is a keeper. I still add songs from it to nearly every mix I make. Just listened to this one yesterday.

Bernie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

James   

That´s a great one, loved it on first listen. Better than his writing contributions to the "Starting Over" album, IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kirk   

Most all of us raved about this cd when it came out- I cherish my autographed copy!

Better than his Starting Over contributions?  

Don't like Rose Coloured Glasses?

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with two people I usually agree with... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

LC   

I'm in the Kirk camp. I love "Rose Coloured Glasses." In fact, I liked all of Scott's contributions to Starting Over. While I rank Eric's songs and Wally's songs a bit higher, Scott's are close — and added a different and cool edge to the 'berries sound. The fact that he collaborated with both Wally ("Hands on You") and Eric ("Play On," "Cry," and my favorite underrated Raspberries song ever, "I Can Hardly Believe You're Mine") says a lot for his contributions. 

I was in the camp that felt it would have been nice to involve Scott (and Mike) in the great reunion of 2004-2009, in some way. Even just a series of guest appearances. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

susie b   

The only rock n' roll Rose Coloured Glasses I like are the signature pair on Joey Ramone's nose... which I used to copy.

Don't care for the song.  It gets the skip button.  Sounds like a rejected Beatle song that was left on the cutting room floor and stomped.

Sorry, I really dislike that song, however, I like the one Bernie posted.

I think it shows a mature McCarl who has found his own writing style.

The song still bears a strong Beatles influence, but it is McCarl shining through.

:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a reminder of how wickedly talented Scott McCarl was...here's a track—written, performed and sung by Scott—that was on the audition tape he sent to Eric to land him a job in Raspberries in 1973. The kid from Omaha, Nebraska had it.

Scott also sent the tape to Todd Rundgren (among others), whose publisher rejected him saying "he sounds too much like John Lennon." Good thing Eric was looking for exactly that when he heard the tape!

SCOTT McCARL - I HOPE - DEMO

Bernie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

LC   

Thanks Bernie! This is quite a cool artifact, and I can see (hear) why Eric Carmen would be drawn to Scott. I wish their collaborations had extended beyond one doggone album (as great as it is!).

• Like 1